Archive through March 17, 2007

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3579
The Alpha is living quite happily at the store. heard a broken in Apollo and liked it. Not that it sounds better than the AR but it has a little more of what the Naim player has. It's more musically involving. Still breaking it in, but so far I'm impressed.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 886
Art - that Mrs K must be some woman :-)

The Apollo certainly is a nice cdp. Congrats.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3580
Thanks MR. The more the Apollo burns in the better it is. I'm increasingly impressed with every cd. Yippie!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3581
Oh and yes Mrs K is quite special. When I told her that I was going to Portland to trade in the AR for Apollo she gave me "The Look" then said "drive careful". Last night we were up late listening to music and we had Wynton Marsalis' "Standard Time Volume 3: The Resolution of Romance" spinning in Apollo and she said "you know that's never sounded that good before". Yippie!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 887
Seems like some of us on this forum are very blessed Art. 'The Look' is expected in our hobby, but it's fine when followed by an endearment such as you stated. No upgrades for us for a while - this coming saturday I take Mrs Rantz for a week at a north coast resort - something she deserves and needs immensely. Enjoy your listening.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4269
All the best, my friends.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4533
Best wishes to all.
Have a good trip, and best wishes, to Mr and Mrs Rantz.
Art, you couldn't change back to "Art"....?
Real confusing!
Anyway, welcome to the Apollonians, or whatever the name is.
I think I've had six months or more with this CD player, now. The striking difference is the improvement with old, familiar discs.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 888
Best wishes reciprocated to all. Thanks John, we are looking forward to it - funny how we need to go to another beach resort area, but I guess the change of scene is half the fun.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3582
How's that John....back to bein' Art. Sounds like a fun trip MR. I think that my wife is longing for a weekend at the coast. Next month will be the third anniversary of our first trip to the coast together perhaps that will be a good time for a little diversion from our routine.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3583
John, have you tried any tubes in your amp besides the stock ones. Believe me almost any tubes are better. I really don't know why Prima Luna (or Upscale) uses the tubes they do...well yes I do, they are probably cheap. Guess this should be in "Tube Talk".

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 892
Hey - Art for Arts sake - money for God's sake!

Do it Art - we don't do these things enough.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3584
10cc and indeed!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4535
Art,

Thanks! It took me a while to catch up with "AZ".

No, I have not tried changing tubes. The KT88s are the originals, and have "PrimaLuna" on them, not the Chinese logo on the tubes in the demo model.

I read a review of a set of "EAT" KT88s in HFN. They came in a wooden box and cost nearly as much as the amp.

I'll ask you for advice when I suspect something needs changing. For now, everything seems nicely run in, and the sound is as smooth and satisfying as anything. I also need the full 40W.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3585
Actually Kevin told me that those KT88's are Chinese red base. I will eventually get some Electro Harmonix KT88's as I feel they really are a step up. Even more importantly is the difference when you change out the front end tubes....wow! I was astounded. I'm going to adjust the autobias to match the PL1 while running the EL34's. I'll change it back when and if I put in some KT88's. For now the stock tubes are retired. BTW new tubes are very inexpensive. The front end tubes cost less than $50 for all 4 delivered. A full set of Electro Harmonix EL34's would be about the same and slightly more than double that for their KT88's.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4537
Art,

Thanks. You've even named the tubes in your profile. I'll come back to this. I remember the early days of "Tube Talk", and being put off by all the talk of tube rolling.

I am often short of time, and do not get enough of actually listening to music. I have also yet to find a local supplier.

I'll send out a call for help when the time comes. All the best!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4324
Update, please, gentlemen.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3591
Get back to ya soon Nuck......being worked to death!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3618
Lesson #1 with as regards the Rega Apollo:

Power cord upgrades for the Apollo definitely change its sound. Depending on which cord you use and I've tried 4 different ones (Analysis Plus, Kimber, Naim, and Cardas) you can enhance every part of the Apollo's sound.......at the expense of what the Apollo does best, make music that's rhythmic, natural and balanced. Even the Naim cord detracted from the built in strenghts of the Apollo (however the Naim power cord with Mira 3 amp takes it to the next level and for $25...yippie!).

Now I am experimenting with interconnects. The Rega really appears to like the Chord cables....but which ones? Could it be the Chrysalis, Silver Sirens or the Chorus? I'm trying the Chorus for now but have a couple of pairs of Chrysalis that I'm using with other sources that I may try...at a quarter of the price of the Chorus.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4560
There is some sort of award for the Rega Apollo in November HiFi News.

Art, no sooner had I thought "these tubes last" than one of the 12AU7 dropped. No glow. No left channel. I contacted the UK distributer and they shipped a pair to arrive next day. £30. They have "PrimaLuna" on them. Excellent sound restored. Apparently a fuse went at home, and one of the older children fixed it, but the left channel had disappeared when the power came back on. Maybe I should get a surge protector.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3631
Glad it was an easy fix John. I don't think that I would plug it into a surge protector...seems that this is a rare occasion and didn't do much harm. I found that a surge protector detracted too much from the sound of my PL2.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 913
The Apollo by all accounts, including mine, certainly deserves an award, many in fact. Some think there isn't much more a CDP can achieve though I'm hearing the new Saturn is heads and shoulders above the Apollo. Then, for $3990AU compared to $1499AU it would not only want to sound incredible, but it would want to clean the house and make the beds as well.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3632
The Saturn is by all (or most) accounts a far better player than the Apollo. Hard to fathom...I'm very satisfied with my Apollo and don't long for any better.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4561
Thanks, Art. If I'd been here, I would have switched the system off before restoring the power. We have a good and stable supply, so I'll take your tip about surge protectors.

HiFi News "Awards 2006" has three CD players.

"Highly recommended" is the Meridian G08, £2,250, and Rega Apollo, £498.

"Best CD player" is the Naim Audio CD555, £14,295.

I think I'll keep the Apollo!

I was interested to read about the NAD M5 and M55 on other threads, here. I might have considered the M5 if it had been availble earlier this year.

Never mind, I have a CD player I like, to play my many CDs. SACD is still growing, no question. MR will remember all my grumbles and complaints of a year or so ago. However it is clear that SACD is here to stay, at least for a while, while DVD-A is not.

Wonder if Rega will ever move to SACD.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3635
I have 30 titles on SACD and 1531 titles on CD. My Denon DVD2910 will do for now. Perhaps Rega will do universal but I would be surprised if we see it before the Blu ray/HD DVD shootout comes to some conclusion.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3662
Since I finally have a system that is making music (and I figured out how to put pictures online) I have decided to post a link to some pictures. Feel free to comment (or laugh quietly). Somehow looking into someones home gives me a more 3 dimensional view of the person, or at least that's how I feel when I'm home visiting a client. Hope you enjoy the pics.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vbudg&1163372336&read&3&4&

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 301
Hi Art,

very nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Roy Gandy would be proud of you!

cheers
Rav

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3664
Thanks Rav and hats off to Roy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4601
Art, thanks for the pics.
I am lost on Roy Gandy?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3666
Rega = Roy Gandy!

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 71
Art, who makes the CD Racks you have in your pics? I've been looking at some similar racks and many of them have weak shelves that buckle and bend from the weight of the CDs. It doesn't look like (from the pictures ) you've encountered the same problem.

Thanks.

Tony

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3669
I bought those through Home Decorator's (icky home decorating stuff but cool cd shelves). I'm at work now but I'll try to post a link to the site and perhaps page (they have different racks and some of them suck) when I get home tonight. The shelves I'm using are very sturdy and well built.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3672
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Triple_Multimedia_Case_without_Doors/120/

There are a couple of sizes of this product but this is my big one. You can navigate the site from here

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Thank you for the response and link, Art! It's much appreciated.

I'll be ordering the same exact racks you have, except in the dark cherry finish.

I looked around the site and there's also a few other things I may be ordering. Thanks again, very helpful.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3674
You're quite welcome .

Bronze Member
Username: Asimov

Post Number: 13
I have got my Apollo a couple of weeks before which replaces NAD C542. In spite of Rga's own comments about CDR issue I decided to order for Apollo and I am not disappointed. It can play all my cdr burned at various speed from 8x to 52x without any problem. My guess is correct - it can play any cdr, burning speed is not an issue, If a cdr burned and finalised at Disc-at-once mode, there will be no problem. I have various type of cdr - branded, non-branded, black, cheap and expensive.

But the Apollo has problem reading cd and cdr as reported by Michael Wodek, some times it can not read cd and some times it stop playing and reading goes to zeros and resume from same position. The remedy is switching off the power and start again like pc restarting, think some sort of software bug.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4585
Asimov,

I sometimes find a standard CD will not play. I just take it out and put it in again, and it's OK. Perhaps the laser has to find a place to "get a grip" and start reading.

I had one CD that jumped and skipped, so I tried it on other players. It was worse. I took the disc back. I think the tracking on the Apollo is good. It may be more fussy than most players about the quality of the CD it is asked to play.

Anyway, thanks for returning and reporting. How does it sound?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 943
Bravo John!

Rega should send you a voucher or something.

:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3685
The Apollo definitely finds some cd's more difficult to read than others. It was rare (increasingly less so) and in all but one case I was able to coax it to play the disc. My old NAD 542 occasionally lost it's mind. As long as I can get it to play the disc it's ok. I really like the Harbison Chamber music disc with Lorraine Hunt-Lieberson which just won't play...bummer. It appears that Rega agrees that my issue appears to be a bit more than standard and will replace it. I'm also working on my third P3 (or would be had I not struck a deal with the distributor to fix the second one), also my first Elys2 had a problem. Anyone who knows me knows how irritated this makes me but even so I enjoy my Rega gear so much and the Sound Organisation in Dallas has been so good to me that I have no complaints. All is being handled professionally and with the kind of care that shows that they would like me to remain a Rega customer. Bravo to them!

Viva Apollo!

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1163897537.jpg

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 944
Well, after hearing the Apollo, I am definately a fan, but for any price a player shoud play any cd that is asked of it. Our 542 has had a solid workout for about a year now without one hitch. Doesn't make it better of course, but it shows that any brand has their problems. My view on the 3910 for cd playback has changed (see old dogs). Good to see your dealer is looking after you Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3686
Honestly my dealer isn't but her distributor is. One thing to remember is that my 542 would occasionally lose it's mind and nedd to be unplugged for awhile. It happened a couple of times in the last month that I owned it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I have limited language skill and have limitation as an audiophile but I want to share my experience.

Right now I don't want to draw a final assessment about Apollo's sound as my total system upgrade not yet completed. I am playing Apollo with NAD c350 int amp and B&W 602 s3 speaker. To me Apollo is not detailed than NAD c542 even sound stage and image is not better but most amazing thing is its bass control, I always complain about B&W's excessive and booming bass but now I am having a controlled and tuneful and detailed bass. Though Apollo is not highly detailed but I am experiencing a different presentation than NAD, its sound is not laid back nor it has in the face presentation but it has presence in the room. Most of all it is involving and musical - may be it is the PRAT which makes it so musical.

Art
Could you please describe your Rega system's sound. I want to know about soundstageing, imaging , bass control, high frequency extension and sound delivery (ie forward/laid back) -- this way I try to understand a system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4671
Asimov, your English is as universal as the music, you need never apologize for any post.OK?

Art has waxed eloquent on the Rega's abilities before. but I am all willing to hear some recent selections and performance of the Rega gear.

Art, a previous post says that you are interested in the gear as much as the music, how the speakers can present themselves, as opposed to the disappering act, which has it's own following.

I enjoy the presentation of a speaker, and do not feel compelled to find a minimum of invasiveness, rather the presentation of a fine speaker delivering a favorite recording.

I do not hate my gear for delivering what it does.

I think the Apollo does this very well.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 946
I always complain about B&W's excessive and booming bass

Asimov, you're not the only one on this forum that thinks this about the 602S3's. Frank Abela is another, but I just don't get it. They certainly need to be positioned correctly on heavy, stable stands, but when they are, (and well run in) they deliver what I believe to be a convincingly accurate bass across all music genres. The only time I feel there is tad too much bass is on one or two of Diana Krall's titles, but I certainly wouldn't descibe that as 'boomy' either. I guess our ears just have different sensitivities to frequencies across the board.

Art. I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't have the same things happen with my C542.

I'd really like to put an Apollo in my system for an ideal comparison. After hearing both players in my dealers room, I still have to say the 542 wins for value alone. Though I suppose it's about time to stop wondering about these things and just sit back and enjoy our spoils and consider how fortunate we are to be able to have so much music and some decent gear with which to listen to to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4674
M.R., it does seem to get into 'nit and pik' territory.
However, I would like to interject with the value or the Rotel 1072 once again.
M'R' what would constitute a 'very lively' piece of music for you?
SRV would for me, how are you tasking the B&W's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
M.R
Pulled two Diana Krall cds from rack - The Look of Love and Only Trust Your Heart. Just to check with Apollo. Thanks for reminding me about Dina Krall which I am playing for the first time with Apollo.

Bronze Member
Username: Ars88

Post Number: 47

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4588
M.R. Rega can send me the same voucher you receive from B&W..... (smiley).

Cheers. Thanks. Asimo. I agree with Nuck. There's nothing wrong with your English , or your ears!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 948
Touche John!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 949
Nuck, please explain 'tasking' I no comprehende Canuck speak

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4589
arslan;-

That's a good point.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 216
Me for Nuck to M.R thinks tasking means stressing, pushing, near clipping...

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 953
Michael, if that's Nuck's meaning well I just don't push them hard. Excpet by accident like the other day when I playing a classical cd for my in-laws, I pushed the volume control up by mistake before pressing play and I thought the roof was going to come off. The in-laws thought it sounded terrific and clear. It was and with no sign of stressing or clipping. Then I didn't leave it that loud for long.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4687
MR, the 'tasking' question would be 'what do you expect of the speakers' and how varied is your listening?
That would include a rousing volume twist, Mike, Rantz would not seem to find the visceral that I get(except to scare the guests) hehe.

I am glad your family approved, MR!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4603
That's the sort of classical I like, M.R. Dynamic range - from that to a whisper, and back.

Username: Kommando

Mt. Prospect, IL

Post Number: 7
Hi,

This comment addresses the cable used with Apollo /Mira3 / R5 set up that I have at home. The Crystalis (sp) is doing a great job right now. However, I have never listened to my set up being biwired for extended time. I believe my dealer had me auditioned on the exact set up with biwiring (I found out when I took the exact set up home for in home audition, no bridge was on either speaker.

Here are the question for the seasoned audiophiles:

1. Has anyone A/B test the difference between single (especially Crystalis, which I know Art has it:-)) vs biwiring in the Apollo/Mira3 set up?

2. If I want to try out for myself, which biwire should I use at the price range of Crystalis?

I appreciate everyone's input.
Merry Christmas to all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4990
Keith, I figgured that you want to try to bi-wire the R5's.
The amp will not care.

The great biwire debate most often has to do with the speaker, not the cable.

Try biwiring with some cheaper stuff first, and compare single to bi-A/B.

I suggest Liberty 14 or 12g, 4 conductor run, of equal length, of course.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3739
Chrysalis is an interconnect which I was using beteween the Mira 3 and the XM radio and between the Mira 3 and the Denon DVD2910. The Chrysalis has been replaced with my original selection for those connections the Chord Silver Siren. Wonderful cable with similar sonic signature to the Chrysalis but with even more of the good stuff (definition, extension, soundstage, etc, etc). Between the Mira 3 and the Apollo I have been using the Chord Chorus...ditto to the Silver Siren what the Silver Siren is to the Chrysalis and more. For speaker cables I am running Chord Rumour 4 (the 4 means that it is a shotgun bi wire cable so to say that it's bi wire is redundant). The synergy that these cables all have together is fabulous. What's remarkable is how much better these cables get with time and burn in.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3740
I forgot to mention one key piece here...I use the Naim $25 power cord with the Mira 3. It really made a difference, and a good one. I tried another one to my Apollo and that was too much. The balance is perfect with the Naim power cord and the Mira 3. I added body to the sound without robbing it of the PRaT that Rega is famous for.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5003
Art, how may of those power cords could you sell?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5004
We can label them NuckArt cables!

Again, congrats on your personal fitness progress this year, Art.

All the best!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3742
Thanks Nuck. About those cables.......

Gold Member

Post Number: 5008
We buy like 500 of the cables, re-label them and hawk 'em for like $300 apiece.

Gawd, I love Capitalism!

Mt. Prospect, IL

Post Number: 8
Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. My mistake, Chrystalis is the interconnect, and I have a pair of 8ft Naim spearker cables (don't know what type). Art, I will definetly try the Naim power cable for the Mira 3. By the way, who makes the Liberty cables?

Thanks, gents.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5016
I think Liberty is the brand, Keith.
Super cheap, and an excellent choice to purchase for a test.
If you get some(50 cents a foot), let us know how you do?
The 14g is what I use, bi-wire.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3747
Liberty Cable makes Liberty Cable. Decent budget cable and a top choice for home installers but not in the same league, especially with the Rega and Naim gear, as Chord.

Sorry Nuck but I would skip the Liberty. I still own what I used with the Paradigms (the 2.00 per ft Ultra Cap) and it simply doesn't cut it with the Rega gear. Chord all the way!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5017
Liberty cable for test purposes only, Art.

Proper runs are just too pricey to test bi-wire.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3748
Anything is too pricey to buy just to test and disregard. If you intend to buy Chord speaker cable you will either buy Single runs with jumpers or bi wire runs, either will sound good amd neither will be cheap. To buy single without matching jumpers certainly doesn't cut it. Just my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
I don't guys, I'm still using the Cobalt interconnects, PC and speaker cables.

My Apollo sounds awesome. I feel no need to mess around with any other cables.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3749
Might be different with an all Rega or Naim system.

Mt. Prospect, IL

Post Number: 9
Hm... Everyone seems to make sense. I think I will go back to my dealer and ask for an in-home audition of any similarly priced biwire to my current Naim sp cable to see the difference. Will up date my findings. Once again, you guys are very helpful

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Oh absolutely, Art.

Different systems....different combos of gear.....different results.

But they work so well in my system and with my gear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
...and since I didn't list my gear in this thread. I'll list it now, so you guys have an idea of the combo of components and speakers I'm using.

Sources: (Three): Rega Apollo

Vincent Hybrid S6 HDCD CDP

Integra DPS 10.5 Universal Disc player

Pre Amp: Vincent Hybrid SA-T1 Pre Amp

Power Amp: Butler Audio TDB 2250 Hybrid Amp

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2 Speakers (Piano Black High-Gloss finish)

Cobalt Cable Ultimate Interconnects, Speaker cables and Power Cords all the way

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3750
Nice system NMT. Hope you are enjoying the holiday.

Here is a link to mine.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vbudg&1163372336&read&3&4&

Gold Member

Post Number: 5023
NMT, would you update your profile so I don't forget your kit?
It reads fabulous.

I opened the Doors 'perception' this morning(thank you son).
Each album is in original stereo, and anothe with all the bells and whistles, hockey card in the spokes, DTS, etc.

The stereo really exposed the limitations of the recordings. The range is a bit limited, Jim's vocals especially, when he does the rising scream on 'LA Woman' the limits are far passed.

The new recording, however, is exceptional.
I ran the new disc through my yukky dvd player(no HDCD on the recording). Tremendous pace. Great treatment for a classic song. A1 recommendation.

I ran half a song through the Classe transDAC, before it coughed the disc up. Issues.

The computer is ready to run the SPDIF cable down to the DAC for a 3rd source, need installation time.

A great Happy Christmas to all, and for anyone who does not do Christmas, my best wishes as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND BEST WISHES TO ALL.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4606
The same, in return, to you, Nuck and Asimov. And to all here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5037
Any new toys, fellows?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3755
Tons of new music, movies and performance dvd's. Bought my wife a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, she's in heaven and I'm getting larger.

Fabulous recital cd's by Leif Ove Andsnes and Alison Balsom. Performance dvd's from Alison Krauss and Roger Waters and much much more.

Still trying to sell my old LCD rear projection tv to buy a smaller LCD tv for the bedroom. The system continues to settle in and sound better and better.

Any new music or movies folks?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1246
In answer to the original question of this thread - I am responding in the affirmative. A while back I reported that I heard the Apollo with a tube amp and a pair of small bookshelf speakers. At the time I also compared it with a NAD C542 with the same gear. Yes, I liked the Apollo, but I stated at the time the price difference was too much to allow that sweet, charming machine seduce me into ownership and that I had (and still am) been smitten by the C542.

Well, something happened!

Finding ourselves with little to do yesterday morning, Mrs Rantz (bless her soul) suggested we drive down over the border and visit the particular hi-fi shop where we had heard the Apollo. I told her that could be quite a dangerous trip, though it seems she thought I could contain my willpower (and my wallet).

Well, this time around the son of Zeus and god of music, poetry and other things finally seduced these two mere mortals:

Another Apollo was in place ready to charm us with the same tube amp, but with a pair of high end full range floorstanders (Sonique). We brought along 2 CD's of our own (just in case - you know) and within seconds we were held captive. Soon, I broke the spell and asked if a C542 could be put in place of the Apollo and the dealer obliged. We performed this swapping ritual a few times so as there could be no doubt: we both (yes, even Mrs Rantz) were totally enthralled by the powers of this God of music.

So after a few looks and nods between myself and Mrs Rantz, I summoned the courage to ask the dealer for his best price (sorry Art) and he came back with a very generous offer for both an outright sale or a trade-in. We took the trade-in offer and left with a musical masterpiece that enraptured us for the remainder of the day.

After the first audition, I had left this shop with the knowledge that yes, the Apollo was a superior cdp than the C542, but not that superior for the price. Yesterday, with different speakers, a quiet shop, and more time to get involved with the music, the decision to buy was a no-brainer.

Oh, and btw, the dealer also offered to sell me a modded Jupiter (better caps and outputs) for a few dollars more. This represented a heck of a bargain, but on listening, to both of us, the Apollo sounded nicer. The Jupiter was a little too clinical sounding - just not as engaging. The dealer said there some who prefered this sound after becoming accustomed to it, but we both knew the Apollo was for us.

Also, in answer to statements on another thread or two - the Apollo is not bright, the bass is as warm and full as the C542, but it is much more refined and controlled, the mids are very sweet and the highs are easy to take, very detailed and exceptionally clean. After a little listening, one realises this player is extremely musical. Rega had badged this one quite appropriately.

The C542 leaves home this week. It has served us well and it is well worth the money imho. But, then at twice the price (rrp) so too is the remarkable Apollo. It has certainly made good friends with our NAD separates, 602S3's and Merlin interconnects.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4271
Congrats MR on joining the Apollo family. We welcome you (even if you're cheap..!).

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1249
Thanks Art. Do you leave your Apollo turned on all the time?

I'm beginning to get used to not having a standby mode or an 'open' button, though I really like the top loading device on this player. As for listening, even Mrs Rantz has commented on hearing things she hasn't heard before and notices how wonderfully musical this player is. Soon I'll compare it with 2 channel SACD on the 3910 - I don't think I'll be betting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6306
Rantz, solid buy.
I am hoping to have the Apollo here for a demo next weekend.
I'm not sure where it will fit in with the Transport and the Rotel.
I wanna hear it. 3 out of four dentists recommended it.
But it ain't a basketball, as Lar's friend found out.
I dropped the rotel once, about 2 feet, but it landed flat.
Never missed a beat.
I nearly had a heart attack.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1252
I think you'll be pleased Nuck. Mrs Rantz could not help herself in saying that the Apollo sounded much better than the C542 during the audition. We would have saved much money had she not. That's the proof in the pudding lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6314
mmmm...pudding...

Silver Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 112
Nice M.R. - I didn't read this before I posted my update on my own Apollo, but it seems I've been seduced by this machine as well. Enjoy!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1255
Thanks Mr T,

As you are discovering, it is indeed a very nice cdp - I tried to respond to your other post a few hours ago but I forgot to upload, so congrats on yours also - if you keep it :-)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1609
I had a very long audition with the Apollo yesterday. Running through a Naim Nait 5i and Rega R5 speakers. A Mira 3 wasn't available unforunately. I compared the Apollo to the Naim CD5i and Rega Planet 2000. The Planet was the store's demo bought about a week before the store got their first batch of Apollos. It had 'just enough hours to fully burn-in.'

The Apollo is an amazing player. It does everything extremely well. Compared to the Planet (which it replaced), the most obvious difference to me was the Apollo is far less veiled and more open sounding. I guess I would say its sound is cleaned up. The Planet also seemed a little ragged in the highs and sloppy in the lows (relatively speaking). Rega did an excellent job smoothing out the highs and tightening up the bass with the Apollo. I'm not sure the Apollo goes higher or lower frequency response wise than the Planet. If I had to definitively guess one way or the other, I'd say they've got the same limits. The Apollo just gets there with much more finesse and ease. If anyone is contemplating an Apollo but doesn't have the funds, look you a demo or used Planet 2000. You most likely won't be too disappointed. Its a very respectable player available at a great price.

Comparing the Apollo to the CD5i was pretty interesting. They both have that great sense of PRAT (pace, rythym, and timing). The CD5i had slightly more of it. The Cd5i also had it beat on its "swing." Please don't ask me to describe this. I borrowed the phrase from Frank Abela, and it became appearent when comparing the two directly. The Naim player also went a little further in the highs and lows. Not substantially, but enough to take notice. However, the handling of the frequency extremes was better done by the Apollo. It seems like the Apollo quit while it was ahead, whereas the CD5i tried to push the envelope a little further, and traded off a little control for a little more frequency response. Which is better? Both are perfectly acceptable to me to be honest. Neither one is overly nor underly compensating IMO.

The biggest and most immediate difference to me was cleanliness. I'm not sure how to describe it really. The CD5i seemed cleaner sounding. Not brighter, more detailed, etc. Just more transparent, if you will. I wouldn't say it was a huge difference, but immediately noticable none the less. This could be soley due to Naim's use of DINs compared to Rega's RCAs. I didn't think of comparing the CD5i using DINs to the Apollo. If I buy a CD5i I'll use DINs anyway, so I'm not concerned with the RCA output that much anyway.

The Apollo and CD5i do have a lot in common though. They have similar PRAT. They also have a similar timbre to my ears. Acoustic instruments and voices sound very similar to each other.

I can see a lot of people preferring the Apollo to the CD5i. Its smoother and more relaxed. It doesn't shout at you. At the frequency extremes it seems a little more effortless. It also has a very clean and transparent sound. It has a lot of the qualities the CD5i does.

I just prefer the Naim CD5i. The cleanliness of the sound and the boogey factor are what sold me. If I didn't plan on pairing it with Naim amplification and therefore didn't have any use for the DINs or their benefits, I'd probably go with the Apollo.

Keeping value for money in mind, the Apollo wins out. It's $700 cheaper, which to me isn't exactly chump change. However, I think the CD5i is probably built a little better, and Naim's long term support is impeccable. From what I've heard, its on par with McIntosh's, which says a lot. Keeping those things in mind, I guess maybe the value factor decreases a little for the Apollo? Still in all, it's $700 less than the CD5i.

It speaks volumes for the Apollo when it's being compared to a well respected CD player costing $700 more - the Apollo is $1000 and the CD5i is $1700.

In the end, I'm going the Naim route. Depending on how generous Uncle Sam is to me this year, I'm either buying the CD5i now and the Naim Headline 2 headphone amp in a few months, or the other way around.

Sorry for not joining the Apollo owners club. I want to buy something that I have no realsitic chances of upgrading for a very long time. I know if I buy an Apollo, the CD5i will haunt me for a very long time. I guess I'm trying to get the stereo of all stereos for my income level. The next Naim CD player up the chain retails for $3000. No chance there.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1610
Also, the dealer strongly recommends leaving the player on full time and turning the display off, as Art mentioned. They say it takes a while for it to 'come on song' after its been turned off. If you're not using it for a few days, turn it off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6377
Stu, an excellent post.

I kinda get the idea that, although our listening might be different, we listen for the same things.

A little RnR on the cd5i then?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1267
"Sorry for not joining the Apollo owners club."

That's alright Stu, but we can no longer talk to you [grin]. The Naim CD5i is very nice indeed. In fact the very one I had listened to last year came on Ebay here just this last week and if I hadn't bought the Apollo I would have tried bidding. I can't say which I prefer because I never heard them with the same set-up. As for build quality - well I don't know, the volume knob on the Naim amp kept falling off during our audtion and I thought, for the sort of money they cost, that should not be happening.

Good post Stu.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6383
MR, one loose screw on a volume knob ain't gonna kill a unit...not good for impressions, though...makes me wonder abouth the availability if a 1mm allen key, though...Was the dealer inept?
Sorry, wandering a bit.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4311
I love that Naim CD player and if I had the money (and a Naim amp) I would also prefer it but by just a hair. Enjoy Stu, you'll be getting a fine player and thanks for the great write up.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1612
Thanks for the compliments guys. I won't be a part of the Apollo family, but maybe I could be an in-law (the good kind)?

On a more serious note, I know I've been saying I'm buying a Naim system for a little while now. Actually a little over a year, but who's counting? Truth is, I've had the money to buy a whole system a few times over but everytime I've got the cash in hand something more important comes up.

My brother needed a "loan" (I'm not complaining at all).
After 15 faithfull years of service, our living room TV decided it had enough.
The new TV needed a bigger stand.
We then literally had a $1500 TV connected to a $50 DVD player.
My wife picked out a Denon 1920CI. No complaints from me.
The living room furniture that got me through grad school had seen better days (it wasn't exactly new when I got it).
A lap top computer in the living room wasn't exactly the best environment for my wife to finish her Master's degree. A desktop computer, desk, chair, and bookcase made sense to us. So much sense that I lost my listening room and had to relocate to the attic. I call it the Bat Cave.
Our 10 year old $50 bedroom TV parted ways with us as well.
The $500 Olevia flatscreen TV now in our bedroom could have been the find of the decade. Check out BJ's if you have one locally.
Coincidence would have it that the Olevia TV would need a bigger stand as well. No new DVD player though.

We somehow recovered from all this and had about $3000 cash in hand. Then I realised that my wife of 2 years and I hadn't gone on our honeymoon yet. We'd put it off due to issues beyond our control. To my wife's astonishment, I reminded her. Air fare and accomadations to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico wiped us out again.

All in all, it really sucks being a grown up. This damn Naim system has taken a back seat to everything. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. How the hell am I not in serious debt? Funny thing is just yesterday I was wondering why we've been living paycheck to paycheck the last year, despite both of us getting substantial raises. I guess I just found my answer.

The clock is ticking on the Naim system though. I wonder how long it'll take my wife to realise that nothing matches in our bedroom and some of the stuff is older than we are, and not in a cool antique or retro way. Hopefully a while after I finish buying the Naim system.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1613
Damn edit function...

The line "We somehow recovered from all this and had about $3000 cash in hand." should read -

We somehow recovered from all this, and a few months later had about $3000 cash in hand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6395
Stu, check your mail.

Username: Grinsatlake

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 1
I just got a new Apollo delivered today and have been playing it all day long. WOW! I can't wait till its broken in. I've tried CAL,Classe,NAD,and recently Shanling CDT-100 but sold it after sending it to the shop twice. Have been using Denon DVD2930Ci for 6 mos. but it is just so so. When I first heard the Apollo, I could not believe it! I was surprised to see the A.C. power cord that came with it, though: because it did not have a ground pin on the inside of the receiver of the CDP!! The supplied rca cables were the cheap junk oriental ones we have been blessed with for years!! Glad this forum is here, because I just read the last year of writeups you guys have done and appreciate the opporunity to read and think. Thanks Rick

Gold Member

Post Number: 6398
Hi Rick C Grin I called you what insted the IV,
If you like it so far, hang on, cause we got a whole bunch coning online.

The Apollo is top o' the class so far...spin some Sammy Hagar!

Username: Grinsatlake

Mt. Juliet, TN USA

Post Number: 2
Nuck: I don't have Hagar, but I've tried Josh Turner, Il Divo, Madeline Peroux, and break-in cd which I will run non stop while I try to sleep. I don't know all the buzz words like I used to, BUT: incredible clarity, soundstage, realism and just great musically. I try to listen closely but get pulled into the music. Tomorrow I will try ZZ, Delbert McClinton, Dire Straits, Santana, and lots of old blues. Sunday will be mostly Old jazz and some classical guitar! It is hard to believe this lightweight metal box can produce such awesome music. Must go.As they say in SE TN: appreciate-cha!!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4315
Note: Shanling to the shop twice...that would be more of Roy Hall's imported crap.

Welcome to the Rega/Naim extended family Rick. Join us for much lively (and not so) coversation. Bourbon's up fella's!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6401
Rick, I own Classe.
Which player did you try out?
Their players are not their strongest suit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us