Trends Audio TA-10.1

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 975
I've been listening to the Trends Audio TA-10.1 all day and this thing is REAL fun. It's currently paired with my Mission M70 (87dB) & Cambridge Audio 540D, and I think I'm growing addicted to what I've been hearing.

More to come.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 62
Christopher, I just got one of these this week. I found it sounded good too, but didn't really go very loud. You're source is a lot better than mine, which probably makes a big difference.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 976
A while back Jan Vigne wrote of the Sonic Impact's original T-Amp, "For the money spent, you cannot get a better education in audio." https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/193312.html

Well, I spent a few more bucks on my TA-10.1 than the $30 or so dollars he spent for his T-Amp (I spent $102 on eBay), but I think it's going to be money well spent. The Trends comes with A/C power supply, comes in an attractive aluminium enclosure, and includes a host of improvements over the Original T-Amp. The Trends is much more comparable to the SI Super T-Amp, both which usually sell for about $130.

The two T-Amps were recently matched up against each other, and 5 other digital amps over at stereomojo.com http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm , with the Trends coming out on top in this shootout.

So the Trends it is.

In the little time I've spent with this thing, It's fair to say it's as dynamic & as enveloping as amp I can remember hearing, and certainly as good in simply conveying music as well as anything I own.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 977
David,

It might, or it might be your speakers, and/or the fact that this thing tops out at 15w/ch.

What speakers are you using?

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 63
I had it hooked up to a pair of Tannoy M4 floorstanders. They're pretty musical sounding speakers, but certainly not top of the line Tannoys.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 978
How loud do they play?

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 64
With the T-Amp? Cranked up full it was still a very comfortable listening volume.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 979
No, the Tannoys? Never mind, I just checked, they're 90dB (1w/1m), which is better than my M30. I've not needed to crank this amp past 12:00 to light up my rather small audition room.

It would seem not all watts are equal.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 65
Running the Tannoys through my Yamaha RX-487 they go uncomfortably loud... It think the Yamaha is actually the problem with T-Amp volume issues - I'm using this as the source hooked into the T-Amp. I remember Jan saying you need a fairly good source for the T-Amp to really shine. I guess an entry level Yamaha receiver does not fall under this category ;-)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 980
So what have you been listening to, radio? Skip the Yammy, hook a CD player, or even a MP3 player, to this thing to make it shine. You won't regret it.

I think it's fair to say that no amp is going to improve a poor source. My CA 540D is a real work horse, I can't say enough good things about it. Even though it's a DVD player, it's master at handling audio as well, and was a real steal at $229.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 66
Been listening to MP3's on my PC from the sound card, into the Yammy, then to the T-Amp.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7034
David, run the headphone outs from the pc into the T, and run a few lossless files, or cd playback.
I use the T-amp this way(in nearfield with 86db Alegria Ling single driver speaks. It works well.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 981
...or you can do that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7044
Sorry CM, same idea

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 982
Nuck, this Trends T-Amp is REAL good. Do you have the original plastic T-Amp or the Super?

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 67
I think that's what I'm going to do. I have another PC in my rec-room that I'll run straight into the T. The added bonus is that this gives me an excuse to buy yet another set of bookshelf speakers.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 983
Consider those Mission M70 for $70/pr.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 68
Where did you buy your Missions from Christopher?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7049
8w plastic.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 984
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/4632969401b339922740ac100341064d/Pro duct/View/2191

Gold Member

Post Number: 7057
That's cheap, man

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 986
I might have to have a fire sale, it's that good.

I currently own a Marantz SR5400, a Cambridge Audio 540A, a NAD L53, and a vintage Kenwood KR-6600, and this $129 Trends is as good, if not better than the whole lot! Am I crazy?

I live in an apartment and am not in the habit of listening to music at ear-drum shattering levels, in all honestly this little Trends more than I think I will ever need, or want, in an amp...more to come.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us