Noise cancellation headphones

Username: Bouncedatbooty

Post Number: 1
Anyone have any good recommendations for a set of noise cancellation headphones? I alreeady ruled out Bose and Sennheiser as too expensive, and Sony as just a piece of crap (I bought and returned a pair, you could hear artifacting). I like these right now becuase I'm familiar with their industrial products and know they have good sound quality, but wanted to run it by some experts before I buy: http://www.hearotto.com/Products_OT5.aspx

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10306

It depends on what style of headset you want. The more you cover your ears the higher the s/n ratio. Philips has some in the ear phones for under $75 that have done a good job but they aren't going to compete with any over the ear models. There was a write up in Stereophile a few months back regarding a pair of Shure noise cancelling phones that killed the competition. They were priced around $500.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1791
Using headphones a lot due to my traveling schedule, I've tried out a lot of different things. My personal favorite are in ear monitors (IEM). For the most part, IEMs seal out far more noise and don't have the artificial sound that noise cancelling headphones can have. They also seal out a lot more of the bandwidth of external noise. Most noise cancelling headphones are designed to keep out low frequencies such as jet/bus/train engine noise. Highs come through pretty easily, and mid range stuff can bleed through as well.

I have two different pair of Etymotic IEMs, the ER6i and ER4S. The 6i's work well with low output portable devices, and the 4S's need an external amp.

The drawback to IEMs is that they can take some time to get used to. Some people never get used to them at all. They don't bother me though. Some online stores have a return policy if you're not satisfied.

Check out Headroom - headphones.com. They're a great company with very knowledgable people answering the phones.

You may also want to check out Headfi.org, which is a headphone forum.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 613
Jabra and Logitech each make headsets that are priced less than the Bose. I have not tried them.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 120
Creative's got a couple of noise cancelling headphones, also checkout denon inear headphones and shure(slighly expensive though, but give it a check)

Username: Bouncedatbooty

Post Number: 2
Definitely want around ear, my ears are not shaped for in ear things, always uncomfortable. I'll check out all those I can find at my local high end store. They don't supply the ones I linked to locally (well, I'd have to drive a bit) unfortunately, but I still may order a pair if they have a return policy. I like to compare.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us