24bit audio?

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 117
I am aware that dvd-audio's and sacd are 24bit audio at around 196or197khz.., is the blue ray disc or hd-dvd although video disc are they also in terms of audio quality 24bit as well or are they higher?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1793
As far as I know there are no blue ray nor HD-DVD music discs.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 664
What audio codecs will Blu-ray support?

Linear PCM (LPCM) - up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio. (mandatory)
Dolby Digital (DD) - format used for DVDs, 5.1-channel surround sound. (mandatory)
Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) - extension of Dolby Digital, 7.1-channel surround sound. (optional)
Dolby TrueHD - lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio. (optional)
DTS Digital Surround - format used for DVDs, 5.1-channel surround sound. (mandatory)
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio - extension of DTS, 7.1-channel surround sound. (optional)
DTS-HD Master Audio - lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio. (optional)

Please note that this simply means that Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these audio codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which audio codec(s) they use for their releases.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 119
so i guess the audio of a blueray dvd movie would be higher compared to dvd whether an audio(dvd)or dvd-movie being 24bit....

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1352
Huh?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1550

quote:

Please note that this simply means that Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these audio codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which audio codec(s) they use for their releases.

"By now a fair number of companies have introduced machines to play Blu-ray Discs. Having checked out a handful of them, including models from Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung, I can tell you that their features and capabilities vary widely. Sure, they handle high-def movies, but some also let you play videogames and connect to the Internet, as well as listen to DVD-Audio discs and Super Audio CDs. One area where they're all the same, however, is in their handling of high-rez soundtrack formats like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. At present, not one of the first-gen Blu-ray models (outside of Sony's PS3) provides built-in support for these new formats, instead delivering regular old Dolby Digital and DTS.

Username: Kind2

Post Number: 1
Blu-ray supports 24-bit up to 192kHz sample rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Codecs

Blu-ray Discs support encoding in up to 24-bit/192 kHz for a maximum of six channels, or up to eight channels with at most 24-bit/96 kHz sampling

It appears that 27Mbps is the amount of bandwidth the audio can use. This is about 6 channels of 192kHz/24-bit audio. Its also can use 8 channels of 96kHz/24-bit audio. The bit depths can vary: 16, 20, and 24 bits.

See: http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/downloadablefile/2b_bdrom_audiovisualapplicati on_0305-12955-13403.pdf

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1581
­
The purpose of my previous post here is point out that, as Sem's post from blu-ray.com states, all advanced/lossless audio codec support is entirely optional on blu-ray players. It means nothing to talk about how much data a Blu-ray disc can hold if the machines that play the disc do not support the extra bandwidth that's possible on the format. What good is the entire Beatles catalog on one disc in lossless audio if there's no machine to play it on?

Moreover, what good is lossless movie soundtracks when major new releases don't have lossless audio tracks on them? For example, the newly released "Dreamgirls" Blu-ray disc (a movie that one would think could benefit by excellent audio support to compliment its reportedly state-of-the-art video quality) supports only DD/DTS 5.1. Of course with only DD/DTS available there's no PCM option either. Even though these tracks are at the maximum bitrate of 640 kbps for the format (vs. 384 or 448 kbps in practice for DD/DTS on DVD), this is still lightyears away from the lossless "Holy Grail" codecs hyped by the media.

The question now is the same as it was for DVD-A and SACD a few years ago: Will Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio ever become mainstream? Just how intense is the general public's thirst for better audio and how much are they willing to pay for it? The answer to these questions may lie in Apple's recent announcement of selling 100 million of its iPod MP3 players.
­

Username: The_seventh_taylor

Post Number: 2
Shane 24 wrote:
I am aware that dvd-audio's and sacd are 24bit audio at around 196or197khz.

SACD is actually 1bit audio at around 2.8 GHz (64x CD sampling frequency)... except when PlayStation3 outputs it because it converts it to 24-bit 176.4 kHz, for some unknown reason.

See http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8736
Great post ST.
welcome to the forum.
Love the user name.

Username: The_seventh_taylor

Post Number: 3
Thanks. Glad to be here.

Just a correction: the right URL is: http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html

Username: Dantheman1425

USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the link ST.

Correction around 2.8Mhz

Username: Morrisroos

Post Number: 1
This is an important topic. If I am to go to the trouble of placing cds onto a NAS computer storage on my network, I want to be sure that they are recorded in the highest quality with optimal playback at 24/196. Will my Pioneer Blu-Ray BDP-51FD do this? CD playback quality is not listed in the specs but this article indicates it can play back at the highest cd quality and that it is the best CD player available. http://gizmodo.com/387893/pioneer-confirms-bdp+51fd-and-elite-bdp+05fd-profile-1 1-blu+ray-players-super+duper-bd+live-player-coming-this-fall

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2655
I really doubt it is the best cd player available - sounds like marketing tripe to me. First and foremost it is a video player and rarely they do a respectable job of cd playback higher resolution or not.

It may be one of the better cd players in a Bluray machine - I'd ask for an auditon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us