Need help to buy speakers ?

Username: Osama1

RiyadhKsa

Post Number: 1
Hello, I am osama from kingdom of saudia arabia, excuse me for not good english, as it is no my native language..
I Want comments on buying expensive floor standing speakers here in kingdom, money no issue upto $10000 and over, I see in showroom few days ago sonus faber,mcintosh,martin logan and few big brands, this is first time i will be buying hi-fi, no knowledge on this subject,can anyone tell me what would be good to buy and also which amplifier to use... I say in villa(bunglow) space is no problem at all, plenty of room.. please can anyone suggest on this matter.. thanky you... osama1

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 116
Your English ain't that bad... I wonder what you do for a living though? money isn't an problem eh, I'am sure it isn't in your case...
Answering your question try to get a mcintosh setup or the electro static martin logan's are also excellent sounding spks, but if it were up to me I would buy b&w 800 series driven by rotel or mark lenvsion.. truly a superb match for that kinda of money.. It also depends on what music u listen to.. check with other senior members I'am sure they will be able to help you...

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 60
How about a pair of these?

http://www.onhifi.com/product/dynaudio_temptation.htm

Seriously though, if I could afford it I would run out and buy a pair of Totem speakers. I've auditioned them at my local audio shop and love them. Made in Canada too :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2088
Osama,

A HiFi system needs to be put together quite carefully. It's very easy to tell you about some really nice components but if they don't gel when connected, then the result of some very fine equipment might not be very good. Making sure that the various parts work together is not an easy task, especially as your components get more expensive! This is where your (high-end) dealer comes in. Your dealer will have chosen all the components to suit each other, but even then he will have formed an opinion of what he considers to be a really synergistic match - i.e. where the sum of the components is more than the individual parts.

I come from a philosophy of system building which favours the source. If I have £10000 to spend, then I will probably end up spending nearer £4000 on the CD player, £3000 on the amp, £2000 on the speakers and £1000 on the essential extras like interconnects and cabling. Others favour a balanced approach spending similar money on each main component. The most unlikely solutions favour the speakers. This is because the speaker has to do what it is told by the electronics. If it is not given a good signal, and the speaker is a very good speaker, it will simply show that it is not a good signal - very well!

At the higher end of the market (which is where you are looking), the dealer should also have demonstration facilities in his shop to set up systems and play them for you. So after he has discussed your requirements with you, he should be able to take you into a demo room and setup a couple of systems around the price range you have specified or agreed with him. He should be able to use your choice in music (take your CDs) to demonstrate the strengths and weaknesses (yes, even the best systems are compromises) of each system. This will give you a much better idea of what each system can do, and which compromise you wish to live with.

You need to establish a relationship with your dealer to do this. You don't need to love him, but you do need to tap into his knowledge and experience to help you. If you don't, you're more than likely going to make a few mistakes...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 506
Well as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of fine speakers out there. The best advice anyone can give you is to listen to as much as you can. Pretty much anything you look at is going to be of excellent quality, but only you can decide what fits your taste from a sonic and aesthetic standpoint.

As far as amplification goes, I would image your local dealer should have something that will appropriately drive the speakers you are looking at, but brands like Bryston, McIntosh, etc are top tier.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 118
Hey Frank, as you said if you had £10000 to spend
£4000 on the cd player, £3000 on the amp, £2000 speakers and 1000 on interconnects and cabling, isn't £4000 too much on a cd player, where one could get a fine one for just £1500 and invest,focus more on the Speakers where one could endup buying b&w 800series adding that extra money towards the spks and amplifier, I understand that a perfect hi-fi is not merely based on spks and amps put together but the whole lot... coz I was under the impression that the amp and spks both equally are of prime importance and would seem wiser to pay a higher amount for them rather than a standard audio cd player, to get that fine quality of sound, but offcourse I guess you would know best, taking into consideration ur knowlegde of sound.. }

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7009
Osama, if you are considering spending coin, or drachma's or whatever in that style, you would do better at one of the hundreds of dealers there, or Bahrain, than on an internet forum.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13850
With that kind of spending money and from my experience the best thing to do is have some tea with your local high end dealer and he will show you the way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us