Needing guidance for speakers !

Username: Maximatron

Post Number: 5
Hi there folks,

I've been to the store the other day in order to choose some speakers for my first (yay!) hi-fi set. Since I am a school my budget is limited, but still since I will most likely keep this set for the next 10 years or so, I want to get something good.

The guy at the store suggested two setup: Rega R3s with a Brio pre-amp (wich come to 2160 CAD, 1380 for speakers and 780 for pre-amp), or B&W DM 603 S3 with a NAD C162 pre-amp (wich comes to 2000 CAD, 1500 for speakers and 500 for pre-amp).

Now my problem is, with the Rega, I'm sure to have a hell of a set-up since everything is designed to go along (words from the seller), but with the B&W Speakers I don't really trust the pre-amp he suggested... it looks cheap. Now I told him I listen a lot to electronic music wich did not seamed to be a problem for the Rega, but I also like sometime to pop a good ol' Metallica record put it _loud_, and then he told me I would most likely be a B&W guy.

So in short, is he right, and if yes, what is a _good_ 500-800$(CAD) amp I could use with the B&W DM603 S3 ? It's for a small room (10' x 12'), but if I plan to leave mom and dad someday I'd like it to be flexible ;)

Thanks for any info !
max.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6994
Maxime, the B&W's mate with Rotel very well.
People who buy Rotel amps tend to get bigger Rotel amps quite soon(especially withB&W speakers, so if you visit a dealer who sells both, there may be a pre-loved Rotel amp in that part of the store.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10300

" ... but if I plan to leave mom and dad someday I'd like it to be flexible ... "

You might want to discuss that "if" part with Mom and Dad. It could drastically change your plans with immenent speed.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1789
Maxime,

Forget about what the guy at the store suggested, or what we suggest for that matter.

Go to the store with a mix of your favorite CDs and hear the systems for yourself. If I listened to what hifi salesmen told me I'd like, I'd still be wandering aimlessly.

The salesmen may know what matches up with what, what speakers may work better in which types of rooms, and so on. They may even have an idea as to what you're looking for, but they definitely don't know exactly what you're looking for.

The Rega system is a very good one, as is the NAD/B&W one. They both do different things.

Personally, I don't like they way bass heavy and fast paced music sound on those particular B&Ws. In my opinion the Rega gear is far better suited. But those are my opinions. You need to form your own first hand.

Also, what will you be using as a source? If you're using a computer, DVD player, or cheap CD player, they may not be worth your time.

And, that NAD pre-amp needs a power amp, in case you were unaware.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 140
Its rare to find someone who is happy with their first audio set up for too long. So ya might wanna go low and start slow, develop on ear for differnt equipment, then plow in for some nicer stuff.

That being said, lots of folks like the compnents and speakers you have selected. When I got into audio again in 2002, I listened to about 20-25 pairs of speaker brands before deciding on a right fit for me.

Username: Maximatron

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your answers! I'll be going to the store next week with some CDs and test the speakers as you guys suggested, but from now on I'm not so sure anymore about the B&W set. I'll be checking the Rega with another eye now :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2085
Max,

As mentioned briefly by Stu, the C162 is a preamp which means it cannot power the speakers and you are looking at more outlay and boxes. The Brio is an integrated amp which contains both preamp (takes inputs) and power amp (powers speakers). Incidentally, the Brio can drive B&W 602s perfectly well too.

The 602 is a big standmount which extends deeper than many and presents music with good scale. Although it is immediately impressive because of its presentation, I feel it (and most of the rest of the 600 series) disconnects the mid-bass with the midrange thus slowing the music down.

The Rega R3s are not designed to be the last word in bass depth or extended treble, but they are cohesive, fast and enjoyable, which is great for energetic music such as yours. This is saying something since I'm known to be more of a critic of Rega speakers than anything else! As a musical experience my choice would be the Regas over the B&Ws, but you may choose otherwise, and your choice is more valid than mine, since you have to live with it. It's also a good thing to try the Rega amplifier with the B&Ws. The equivalent NAD integrated amplifier would be the NAD C352. This amplifier is more powerful and has more facilities than the Brio, but it lacks some of the finesse, cohesiveness and pace of the Rega.

As you can see from our responses, you need to go through an evaluation process to figure out which combination is for you. Most of us (especially the more usual contributors) have gone through this process so what we tend to do is try to guide your choice in terms of process rather than outright choices, although our personal preferences do come through too, just because we're interested in the products and understand them.

Your dealer should be able to let you hear the two systems in direct comparison. As mentioned elsewhere, the source is a very important part of this too. You need to use the same source in both systems for it to be valid.

's your call! :-) Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us