Speakers comparable to Wharf 9.2's that take up less space?

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 158
I recently bought Wharfedale 9.2's and I love them...but they're kinda big for a bookshelf speaker. Are there any speakers that are very comparable to the Wharf's but have a smaller footprint? My dad has Orb Mod-1's (without the sub) and I was thinkin that maybe these would work if I got the sub with them? or even a Hsu Research STF-1 sub...they obviously need a sub though. The Wharf's are good all around though and for my tastes I don't need a sub immediately although I'll be getting one in a month or two. I purchased the Wharf's for $300. What can I get thats comparable in SQ but has a much smaller footprint?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 957
The 9.1 are smaller with a similar sound.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 958
The best "tiny" speakers I've heard are the Monitor Audio Radius R90. They also make the Radius R45, that I've not heard, but imagine are worth a listen.

The R90 are exceptional given their size.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
do the R90's need a sub to sound closer to the 9.2's? I took a look and I like them a lot, plus they are cheaper than the 9.2's. Overall, how would they compare to the 9.2's...I'm ready to make an impulse buy lol.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 959
While the R90s are deceptively LARGE sounding speakers, they are limited in what they can do, and would need a sub to play as low as the 9.2s. The matching R360 is an excellent choice.

If these are for music mostly (perhaps not orchestral), and for a small to medium sized room, you can skip the sub, IMHO.

Another excellent, larger but not huge, choice are the Mission M70 for $69 pair, yes! $69/pair.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 960
The M70 compare well with the Wharfedale Diamond 8.1, and maybe even give the 9.1 a run for the money (I'd have to hear them side by side).

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
so the r90's are a better speaker? for the price of the m70's i could always use those as surrounds though...

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
took a look at the sub....lowest price i found was about $415...would a Hsu STF-1 work also? i cant afford the $415 price...

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 961
"so the r90's are a better speaker? for the price of the m70's i could always use those as surrounds though..."

You're going to have to be the judge.

The R90s are the best SMALL speaker I've heard. They're not as TINY as the Orbs, or even the R45s, but they are attractive, solidly built, and overachievers given their size.

The M70 are larger & only come in silver this side of the Atlantic. The next best comparable speakers might be the Athena AS-B1.2 or the aforementioned Wharfedale Diamond 8.1, both which cost at least double the price of the M70 & all of which are considerably larger than the R90.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
aight then ill stick with the r90's. what about the sub?

how much of a performance difference will there be between the 9.2's and the r90's in your opinion? i got the 9.2's off your recommendation and i love them so i trust what you have to say. just need it smaller..

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 962
The R90s will be every bit as detailed as the 9.2 but scaled down several notches, really wonderful with vocals & acoustic guitars, and enough bass to satisfy most, but the 9.2 is one of the top 5 bookshelf speakers on the market, period. They handle everything you throw at them with ease, as far as I can tell.

The Monitor Audio Radius R360 is the best choice, IMHO. It's really does a great job melding the two into one, plus it's beautiful & small.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 963
aight?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6987
I always wondered how to spell that, CM.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 964
Lost your ebonics dictionary Nuck?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6993
Oh yeah, it's under my rap collection.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 965
So it's under that single dusty Sugar Hill Gang LP you're saying?

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
thank you i'll get these then. i've found many sites listing them for $150-175....that's what they sell for per pair correct? or is that only one speaker?

secondly, if you had a $370 budget for this stuff, would you rather start out with 2 fronts and a center channel, or 2 fronts and 2 rears until you work your way up to the full setup? i was thinking center channel would be better since it produces most of the dialogue....

my system is 80/20 for music/movies.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
ah wait i think thats just one speaker isnt it...

http://www.avdepot.net/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=72

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 966
Yes

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
CM do you which if any of the websites that sell these for 150-175 are reliable? ive never heard anything about them before..

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 967
http://www.dependableaudiovideo.com/

...ask for Tony, tell him I sent you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
thanks ill give him a call

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
they were out of them but i picked em up on ebay for 255 shipped for the pair. i might give the r45's a try at surrounds...i can get them for 155 shipped. do you think that's worth it? im gonna try and dig up some reviews right now..

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 968
Great price, I think you'll love them.

I don't think you'll find a review of the R45 (at least I couldn't), but I think it's safe to say MA does not put out crap.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 969
The R45s are cute, ain't they?
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 611
Are those about the same size as the Bose Acoustimass cubes?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 971
Gavin,

I would have to say yes, but what you don't see in that pic is the REAR firing tweeter!
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
aight im gonna go for it...seems like a great deal. what are the benefits of a rear firing tweeter?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 973
From MA's website:

"The Radius 45's rear-firing 20mm gold C-CAM tweeter is able to spread the sound around the room to create an encompassing surround channel effect. The tweeter is complemented by a forward-firing 3" MMP II driver in a sealed-cabinet system with a frequency range of 120Hz-22kHz and power handling of 50 watts."

You can probably do better than the R45, but not smaller or as attractive, and $155 is another great deal.

Alright.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7005
hehehe.
OK.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 446
"but the 9.2 is one of the top 5 bookshelf speakers on the market, period."

along with what else in your opinion? The 9.2s are pretty big, which is suppose why most people go for the 9.1s!

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
finished gettin everything, picked up the r45's also. now that i've finished though, ill reveal my source lol since they still have some great deals left. they're currently stocking r45s, r90s, and r180s...i took all the black ones though lol. thanks for the help everyone. ps if anyone wants my nine.2s they're in perfect condition and i havent even broken them in the full way yet. ill let them go for 270 shipped! email me at laxcowboy07702@aol.com if you want them! ready to get these out of here asap!!

http://stores.ebay.com/Marrs-Inc

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
oops just wrote nine.2s...meant 9.2...i'm an elemental designs guy so forgive me lol.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 974
Maybe top 5 "period" is a bit of a stretch (top 10 isn't), but it is right up there with the best of the best, and if price is a consideration, it might be the best.

There are few speakers under 1K that are as versatile as the 9.2s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 449
I'd put my wharfedale diamond 8.1s in that list. Seriously. I prefer them to my now sold Tannoy Sensys Dc1s!

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
from what ive heard the 8.1's dont really come close to makin it but whatever

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
Heard from who? People with crap amps and poor listening position or/and placement?

From what I've heard the 9.1s are a step up only in bigger bass and of course a bigger soundstage which naturally is predictable for a bigger speaker so suffice to say the 9.2s will lead on with the same attributes.
More surprisingly the 8.1s are miniturised quad 11ls as someone has identified.

I'll just say Im happy with their sound. What on earth more do you need than that?

I listen in a small room.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
lol aight well everyone's entitled to their opinions. ill stop there b4 i go overboard lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us