Does anyone here already have audienced the new PARADIGM STUDIO 60v4 or Studio 100v4 ?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 89
The only website that recently review the Studio ver.4 can be found here http://www.hometheatermag.com/subsatloudspeakers/307paradigm/index1.html. But they reviewed only the Studio 20 and for myself the article not quite comprehensive or detail enough.

From my opinion, as the Studio v4 have overhaul their speaker cone from "plastic" material to aluminium, I think now they will sound a little bright than their previous version.
(the Monitor Audio UK really shines into Canada, as Monitor Audio have been known as the a professional aluminium speaker maker - from the Bronze, Silver, Gold and new comer Platinum Monitor Audio)

Ok back to the subject, please share your experience with this Studio v4 if someone already have audience it.
Thanks alot.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 486
I listened to the Studio 40v.4 and Studio 100v.4. driven by a Pioneer Elite amp. I found that they had good clarity, were sweet and smooth but their soundstage is recessed. Even with the volume turned up, there was distict lack of punch with dynamic music such as pop, rock and dance. Not my cup of tea as I prefer a more up front sound.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7036
sunny, the Paradigm 60v4 is a step backwards for the brand, IMO.
Bear in mind that I have not heard them, OK? All the chatter on other forums, mostly canadian, diss the v4 60's and especially the 100's.

The v3's are preferable, or so the comments go.

The v3 60's have internal bracing, the v4's have forgone this, believing their material choice and assembly technique are superior.
Knock on the side walls of the 2 and you decide.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7037
The studio 20 v4 IS extremely good, though.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4629
Keep in mind that the same things were being said early on for the v3. I personally doubt that it's true. I know all of the latest Paradigm speakers that I've heard have been very good.

The Rega speakers are lightweight do not pass the knuckle rap test yet IMO they outperform the far more inert Studio 40 v3's. That said the Studio 20 has always been and will always be the best bang for the buck Paradigm speaker (the Atom Monitor being darn close).

Silver Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 121
They are not even CLOSE to my DCM TFE200's.....AMAZING SPEAKERS and one of the most underrated speakers on the market

Gold Member

Post Number: 7059
Sorry, Bernie, but...

AT ANY PRICE?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4636
Randy, please stay away from real threads and continue to start your usual BS threads. Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7062
Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Rather ecumenical, Art.

Although it's early yet.

Cheers.

I am sure that, at some point, RW will add something of value.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1799
Usually the knuckle rap test is pretty good, but their are exceptions to every rule as Art pointed out. An inert cabinet on its own doesn't make a good speaker. A lighter wieght less inert cabinet on its own doesn't make a bad speaker.

Maybe rather than try the impossible job of eliminating vibration, they tried to make it as predictable as possible and design from there?

Kind of like in turntables. The Linn Sondek LP12 doesn't try to kill vibration. Rather, it tries to make it as predictable as possible, and have everything else vibrate in unison resulting in better vibration and resonance control than fighting a losing battle.

I don't recall the Totem Arros passing the knuckle rap test either. But, they're got some of the fewest cabinet noise issues I've seen in any floor stander.

AT ANY PRICE!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help that one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7065
The Arro's have to be coupled properly, as I understand, with balls or claws.
Frank likes the balls and beaks, but hasn't seen much of the claws.

I have heard neither in a long while.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1801
"Frank likes the balls and beaks, but hasn't seen much of the claws."

That sounds kind of perverse. But anyway...

I think you misunderstood Frank, Nuck. If I'm correct, you can only use the balls with the claws. The balls are ball bearing type things that sit in the bottom of the claws. Frank was saying he hadn't heard the balls and claws on the Arros, but has heard them on other Totems. From Pedro's thread, which I'm assuming you're referring to -

"I have never used Claws on the Arro so I'm not sure about the configuration. I do know from my experience with using them on other Totems that you should use them with the balls."

I haven't heard the Arro's with any upgrades, only stock form. They come with a stock plate-type base that you blu-tack onto the speakers.

In the stock configuration they have very few cabinet issues, especially for their price. Yet if I recall correctly, they don't do well when knocked on.

Its just another example that one approach isn't always superior to another. Its how you implement the approach.

Sorry if I've ventured off topic look4sun.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Hello,

Thanks for your all opinion, though there are some feedback don't answer my subject. Still, I enjoy your discussion.

Yes, the knuckle rap test is one of the test to evaluate the quality of the speaker. But I was surprised if you say that Paradigm v4 has lost

the internal bracing. Because I read from the specifications, the Paradigm V4 still weight as heavy as the Paradigm v3 (I mean all series: the Studio 20, 60 and 100). So ? What's have been gone in V4 but the weight is still same ?

To Nuck, you said: "All the chatter on other forums, mostly canadian, diss the v4 60's and especially the 100's ".
Where could I found this forums saying this ?

Oh yes, suppose my store has the Studio v3 and v4, which one should I go considering the sound and built quality ? The v3 should be cheaper for few buck compare with v4.

Cheers.
sun

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1802
"Oh yes, suppose my store has the Studio v3 and v4, which one should I go considering the sound and built quality ? The v3 should be cheaper for few buck compare with v4."

Only your ears and wallet can determine that one. Let's just say that the v4 sounds better than the v3 (I haven't heard the v4 yet). Let's also just say the v4 is $500 more than the v3. Does the v4 sound $500 better than the v3? Is saving $500 on these speakers a big deal to you? Would that $500 savings go toward another part of the system that you've dismissed before?

I was in such a situation a few weeks ago. My dealer had a Rega Planet 2000 and a Rega Apollo. I was offered the Planet for $350 cheaper than the Apollo (both had the same MSRP). Not that I'm made of money, but the $350 here didn't disuade me enough to buy the Planet. If I didn't hear a big difference in sound quality, I'd have been all over the Planet.

Just because a model has been replaced or upgraded, doesn't make the previous one sound worse. The v3 is a great speaker. But just like everything else in life and home audio, it can get better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Ok. Thanks for yr opinion, Stu.

Oh yes, I wonder where is Nuck now ? Since I really want to know where I could find the forums saying: "All the chatter on other forums, mostly canadian, diss the v4 60's and especially the 100's ". (as Nuck wrote early).

However, if someone already read about Studio v4, please let me know also the links.

Thanks to you all.
look4sun

Gold Member

Post Number: 7176
Look4sun, my apologies for dropping your thread.

I am on http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/

I did not find the thread that I wanted, I think a mod there dropped it after it got nasty(which does happen there).

Oh yes, I wonder where is Nuck now ?
Nuck wonders that too, sometimes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us