Thank Cambridge for CAP5!

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 440
I wouldnt have known. My amp could have been toast!
I connected 2 sets of speakers to the amp because of 2 speakers output sets. Turned it up loud to enjoy. Went downstairs, could hear it perfectly well. Then suddenly NO SOUND!!!!

Arg wtf. Ran upstairs to find the protection light flashing. Felt my ca 540a top panel and it was quite clearly scorching hot!

Thank Cambridge for CAP5! (and dont turn up the music too loud if you have 4 speakers connected)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6948
JJ, the thermal protection is for the prevention of fire, not just to protect the amp.
If it was that hot, and built up to protection, then damage has certainly been done, although perhaps not readily apparant.

The lifespan of the componantry has been sacrificed.

Of course, don't do it again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
Are you joking?
"If it was that hot, and built up to protection, then damage has certainly been done, although perhaps not readily apparant."

Damage? I thought the whole point of the cap5 was to stop any damage in the 1st instance. I've had it that loud (1-2 oclock on volume) with just two speakers just fine so thought with 4 speakers it should be fine too! What kind of damage?

I'll certainly not do that at all again. 10 o clock is maximum im going with 4 speakers now.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6950
Nope, not joking.
For certain you have taken some componants beyong their designed thermal limits.
Which ones, dunno. The caps are a little drier now, the boards have been subjected to a lot of heat, every device has been run too hot.

Again, the thermal protect is to prevent combustion, and when the unit plays under heavy load and builds up to that temperature, the heat has a lot of time to dissipate throughout the unit, which is not good.

The amp is obviously good enough to handle the very low impedence you have subjected it to, which is likely well below 4ohms, as well as paralled phase angles from differing loads.

Had you snapped up the volume much further, the current limiters may have called off the fun right away.Maybe.

Methinks the current limiters in your amp are a bit high for the well being of the unit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
Eeek. It still works just fine sound wise apart from one thing.

When i turn the unit on out of standby the protection light flashes SEVEN times (occured after I was changing the wire config). This isn't mentioned in the help manual. Just remedies for other flashes such as 4 times or 2 times. I can sort this by turning off speaker B button then pressing again to get all 4 speakers working again. Turning the unit on with 2 speakers is fine, no protection light then.

I'm not sure what you mean by the well below 4ohms statement. The tannoys are 8 ohms and the wharfedales are 6 ohms. Or am i getting something mixed up here?

I suppose theres no way to change the current limiters so I can only take it as a lesson not to turn up that high again.

Whats a phase angle?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us