Speaker calibration with SPL Meter

Bronze Member
Username: Pynkfloyd

Post Number: 17
My HK AVR 340 has a feature built into it that calibrates the speaker level for you, and I often wonder how accurate of a job it does in adjusting the level of the speakers. I was hoping that someone would be able to offer advice on what would be the best way to do this.

I just purchased an SPL meter from Radio Shack, and yes I did get the analog SPL version.

1. What should the volume be set to on the receiver before I activate the test tones?
2. What DB level should I try to bring all my speakers to?
3. Is it wise to bring the center speaker and/or the sub just a little louder than all other speakers?

Any other advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Arbia

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10267

If you want accuracy, you should let the receiver do the calibration, it is insensitive to tonal changes due to speaker type or location. Unfortunately, your ears have a difficult time discerning the actual level set when the sound quality changes between speakers.

For questions one and two, you should be adjusting the levels at what would be a "comfortable" listening level. You are going to be putting broadband noise through the speakers so take adequate care to have the levels low enough so as not to stress or even damage a tweeter. Adjust the levels so the meter reads the same for all speakers, whatever that level is. As you back away from the speaker the level falls expotentially, so your goal is to set the levels at your listening position to be relative to each other. Read your owner's manual before you begin this set up.

For your third question, why would you want to do that?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1340
What I did, using advice from many sources, was to set the volume at 0db for the test tones and adjust the speaker levels at listening position to the same value at around 75/80db on the spl meter. The sub takes a little more trial and error to get right. Setting the centre speaker a little higher is optional for your hearing preference.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2072
IIRC, according to my Arcam manual, 75db at the listening position. That said, the Arcam sends out test tones at predefined levels, so you can't change the master volume, just the relative volume between the speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 182
Set meter at 70 and on slow response setting. Go to your normal listening spot. Point meter towards front speakers. Bring volume up on center speaker to register 0db. Without changing position, match level from other speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Pynkfloyd

Post Number: 18
As far as letting the receiver do the calibration, wouldn't an SPL meter be more accurate?

I have read on previous posts that some people prefer to have the sub and center speaker set a little louder, I just wanted to hear what experienced users such as yourself had to say about that. It didn't make much sense to be either.

M.R.

As far as bringing my volume down to 0db and setting all speakers to around the 80db range, I can not do this.

If the volume is set to 0 and I try to configure my speakers to be at 80db, I can't bring the db level low enough to achieve that. In order to have my speakers at 80db I have to set the receiver to -15 before adjusting the test tones.

Thanks

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2075
SPL meters tend to be less sensitive at low frequencies so although you get close when setting the sub via the SPL meter, it usually requires adjustment afterwards.

Jim Bob made one essential observation. You must set the SPL meter to Slow 'C' setting for the readings to be manageable and reasonably accurate.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1342
Mike, that figure isn't set in stone. Whatever works. I found with my Marantz SR7300 and Denon DVD3910, calibrating around 80db worked well for me.

Some SPL meters are more accurate than others. Also some Denon test tones were found to be faulty (can't remember which units) so I used the THX test tones on some DVD's.

Many do not use SPL meters and go by their ears, which is fine, although I found using the meter seemed to improve my hi-res surround listening. Could be pyschological too I guess (thought I'd add that before someone else did :-)

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 183
Frank is right. Forgot to mention the LFE/subwoofer calibration. Thanks Frank. Meter has not been particularly helpful with it. I subjectively set it using a well known audio recording. This may or may not be suitable depending on the listerner's preferences. I prefer not to be "overboomed" on video material but still enjoy feeling the impact.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1783
The Rives Audio calibration CD works very well. It has a set of tones designed to be used with the Radio Shack analog meter. It also comes with very good directions and some charts to plot your results for comparison purposes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us