What speakers go with NAD C320BEE?

Username: Joe139

Post Number: 1
I first discovered this forum freshman year of college. Now, two years later, I'm finally getting rid of my old sound system and getting my first "real" system. I'm trying to keep the total budget under $1000.

I plan to get a NAD C320BEE for the amp. Are there any suggestions for the speakers? I often listen to music with a good amount of bass. Are Paradigm or PSB good choices, and if so, which ones? I know people on this forum hates Yamaha's, but the NS-777 looks pretty nice and is only $170 each. Is there something wrong with them?

Thank you for your time and help.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6858
Joe, the 320 is a little light in power, but long on great sound.
If you want some bass and some pizazz, look for speakers with a high sensitivity, 90db or above.

If you can bring the Nad to a shop, or bring some speakers home to try, I recommend that.

Will you use a cd player, DVD player or computer as a source?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1763
PSB speakers up to and including the T55 work very well. I run my 320BEE with the Image T55s. They would like a little more power, but in my room, which is on the smaller side, they work quite well. The T45 also works quite well and may be a tad easier to drive.

Don't forget that you need a good source, or all is wasted on good speakers.

PSB's bookshelves are also a great match.

I'm not a big fan of the PSB Alpha series. Dollar for dollar, I think Paradigm's Monitor series in this price range are better. But dollar for dollar, the Image series wins out IMO.

People also pair them up with Warfedale and Monitor Audio speakers. I haven't tried them personally.

The best speakers for it really depends on your budget and preferences.

Username: Joe139

Post Number: 2
Nuck-I'll be using a computer, so the music quality isn't that great.

Thank you both for the recommendations. I'll probably get either PSB Image speakers or Paradigm Monitor speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 54
Another vote for PSB here.

Username: Atex

Post Number: 8
I'm also in college and I have a C320BEE with Paradigm Mini Monitors. I have no regrets and I would recommend them. For their size, they really have good bass.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1073
Joe,

You might look at Tim's Emmas if you can afford them. I hooked a friend up with a C320BEE off Audiogon, a cambridge audio cd player and the Emmas and she is thrilled and we got it done for right at $1000. You'll get better sound than the Paradigms or PSBs IMHO.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 987
Don't take this the wrong way Joe, but if "the music quality isn't that great", what's the difference?

PSB, Paradigm, and just about every other speaker routinely mentioned on this board are all well reviewed & made by reputable companies.

A computer may not the best, but need not be the worst source of music. An upgraded sound-card can work wonders, do some research, and I'm sure you can find a card that will help clean-up what your listening to. Further, as I'm sure you know, always rip your tunes at the highest bit-rate available.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 988
http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/tp/SoundCards.htm

...that was simply.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 989
Even better...http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/USB_Audio_desc.htm

After my recent experience with the TA 10.1 T-Amp (a gem), I'd likely go with this item if I were in your shoes.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 990
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/trendsaudio_ud10_e.html

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 991
Here's a budget PC/Audio setup:

Trends Audio UD-10 DAC $90
Trends Audio TA-10.1 T-AMP $129