New Orleans Jazz recs?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4643
...was just listening to the French Quarter show on XM 70 tonight, lovin' it to the hilt as usual...then I realized that I really didn't know any of the artists they were playing at all, in fact about the only sort of "New Orleans" jazz CDs I have are by Sidney Bechet, and the Wynton Marsalis soundtrack for "Unforgivable Blackness" which has several bluesy/swing tunes like that. Which is rather unfortunate because right now I think this is exactly the type of music that I derive the most enjoyment from, by far!

So, would anybody care to suggest some classic CDs of the "New Orleans" jazz genre? I can't exactly afford to go out and buy 100s of CDs, so just the ones that I really can't afford to miss, that have the least amount of filler on them please.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4585
The Dirty Dozen Brass Band "Jelly"

Wynton Marsalis "Mr Jelly Lord"

Louis Armstrong "Hot Fives and Sevens"

Just a few to start with.

Username: Galwin

Post Number: 2
I saw the Preservation Hall Jazz Band in Tampa several months ago - got to spend some time with the musicians back stage. They are the real deal: http://store.preservationhall.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=4

Ed, Thanks for the tip on the Marantz CD changer. I've been quite pleased with it.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6869
'5's and 7's' OHH yeah!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4644
thanks guys, I'll take those recs to Amazon.

Jim: you're very welcome, glad you're enjoying it. I've been playing with the idea of getting another one, just for headphone use this time. Wish it was a single disk player though, the 4300 takes up a lot of space which I no longer have...

Username: Galwin

Post Number: 3
Amazon has some used Preservation Hall discs at ultra cheap prices.

That Marantz has all the detail but with a liquid smoothness - hard to beat for the money.

I wish you the best on the Zen quest. Most folks in our culture are busy being busy and few take time to be. You can tune into frequencies that don't need hifi equipment!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us