Suggestions for some speakers

Username: Maximatron

Post Number: 1
Hi there folks,

I've been checking some info on the internet to get myself some good Floor-Standing Loudspeakers, but since I don't know anything about sound I decided to ask people about what is the best way to go. First I was checking out B&W, but it seams reserved to millionaires. Im at school so I need something arround $1,000 or $1,500 at most. What are the good manufactureres that has good quality at this price ? It's not for a home Cinema, it's for listening to music... if that changes anything.

Thanks for any info!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 152
What are you driving them with?

Post Number: 2
You mean the amplifier ?

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 88
First I was checking out B&W, but it seams reserved to millionaires

??
You mean the B&W Nautilus speakers?
B&W has speakers in the $1000 - 1500 range as well.

What are the good manufactureres that has good quality at this price ?

Many.
B&W, Dynaudio, Quad, Rega, Totem, Epos, JMLab, Acoustic Energy etc.

And yes Stryvn means what amp your driving them with.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10245

"Good" speakers? This should take a while.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10246

I'm guesing 78 posts before this one is played out. Any takers?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 349
Maxi could simply purchase my Monitor Audio Silver 8i's from me and save some money. Just think how quick that could end this thread!

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 48
Monitor Audio Silver rs6.
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?range=2&product=4
Read some of the reviews online.

The guys on this forum are probably getting sick of me raving about these speakers, but I got them not too long ago and can't say enough good things about them. By "school" I assume you mean college, which would cause me to further deduce that you'll want something that can go BIG when it needs to. These will do the trick, and will also impress those who appreciate refined sound.

They go for $1000 retail but there's some deals out there. I got mine new for $750.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 49
By the way, for what it's worth, I demoed B&W's speakers in that range, and they were also really good. I just happened to prefer the Monitor Audio. And yes, he means the amp...that can make a big difference as to what speakers are for you. What kind of amp?

Post Number: 3
I still can't make up my mind for the amp... Some people tells me Harmen Karden do some quality stuff, but people say lots of things that are sometimes not right... Thanks for all your answers, I'm going to check the B&W in the price range I'm looking, and took a look at those monitor audio, they look great too. I mean maybe I'm going to check out with a store to see what the seller tells me and go here and confirm at that time, because I don't trust someone who _has_ to sell stuff. If someone has any suggestion for an amp too, would be great, as noted I'm looking at those Harmer Karden right now... good pick ?

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 89
Maxime,

It seems to me that you are going to buy your first decent hifi-set, not just a pair of speakers.
Am I true?
Is the budget reserved for your amp the same as the speakers? $1000-$1500?
What about the cd player, you own one yet?

$500 for speakers and $500 for an amp (and another 500 for a cd player) will buy you something pretty nice too.

If I were you I'd visit a local hifi store and just look around first and then listen what looks good to you.
Make a selection of the brands/types your local shop sells and you seem to like and come back with a more specific question.
I don't think it will be useful for you if people just post their lists of favorite components in reply to your question.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6821
Maxime, just guessing you are in Quebec.
B&W are very expensive in Canada, but Rotel amps and stuff are priced OK.
They go together well, until the 7 series.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
And when Nout says visit a local hi-fi store he ain't necessarily talkin' about BestBuy.

Rotel. It's starting to roll off the tongue nicely.

I have also heard some nice B&W in and under that price range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6826
Or Paradigm, if my Quebec guess was right.

Maxime Savard doesn't sound Polish.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1750
Maxime,

We need a lot more information before we can move forward and not just throw around a bunch of brand names. Total budget (and not just speaker money), room size, type of speakers (floor standing or bookshelf and subwoofer), type of sources needed (CD, CD/DVD, turntable, radio, etc), type of music you listen to, what you listen for, how you listen - sitting down and paying attention, predominantly back ground, party system, etc.

Forget about speakers. Listen to complete systems. No one part of a stereo is any more or less improtant that the other. Pre-amp, amp, source, speakers, and cables. While there are obvious differences in prices of different parts relative to other parts, that doesn't mean that the most expensive parts are more important. They're just more expensive to build.

I'll blindly make a few system recommendations for the hell of it. They are at different price points but I think they're rock solid values in their price points -

NAD 320BEE or 325BEE integrated amp, 521BEE CD player, PSB Image T45 speakers

NAD C352 integrated amp, 542 CD player, PSB Image T55 apeakers

Rega Brio 3 integrated amp, Rega Apollo CD player, Rega R3 speakers

Rega Mira 3 integrated amp, Rega Apollo CD player, Rega R5 speakers

Rotel RA-1062 intergated amp, Rotel 1072 CD player, Paradigm Studio 20 speakers

Rotel RC 1070 pre-amp, Rotel RB-1070 amp, Rotel 1072 CD player, Paradigm Studio 60 speakers

Naim Nait 5i integrated amp, Naim CD5i Cd player, Rega R5 speakers

Their are so many more manufacturers and combos out there. I have no idea what you're looking for.

Post Number: 4
Yes this is my "first" hifi set ... And you don't worry I stay as far as possible from Best Buy or Future Shop =) I just thought it would be a great idea to ask people like you guys to see what you would suggest. I see that it's quite a thing (kind of music, room type etc...) so I'll make up my mind on something and come back at that time. Thanks for all suggestions so far, still help to start up my shopping!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6839
Rotel RC 1070 pre-amp, Rotel RB-1070 amp, Rotel 1072 CD player, Paradigm Studio 60 speakers

That's one of Nuck's favorites, but with a Classe preamp CP-1(cheap) for the balanced output to a 1080 amp.(sorry Stryvn).

Smashing system!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6840
Sorry, Maxime, I got ahead of myself.

If you are considering a well matched system, I suggest you pay attention to balanced/unbalanced set-ups.
Balanced systems are superior, to smaller and larger degrees.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
I need to keep looking at the Gon?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2051
Maxime,

So if you're buying a complete system what is the budget for all of it? If you are fairly new to this, you may need some guidance in terms of how to allocate the funds in order to put together the best value system.

Also, provide us some info on the size of the room you expect it to be used in, as well as any requirements such as placing speakers near a wall.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us