Importance of HDMI in an AVR

Username: Philly_t

Post Number: 7
This issue is driving me nuts! Please, can some one finally put this HDMI discussion to bed? At this moment, is HDMI connectivity important in an AVR? Especially since most of 'em only have switching capabilities and no processing and/or (up)converting capabilities. Is it worth the extra money?

Put in other words...if you were to buy a new AVR right now, would it have HDMI or not?

Thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2043
Not necessarily. I have an HDMI equipped processor. I don't use the connections and if I had an HDMI equipped TV, I still wouldn't use them since I would only have one HDMI source currently.

Eventually, it will become an issue since the high definition discs have much higher quality surround audio channels (TrueHD) which look to be truly worthwhile, but then you'll need a processor that can process those formats (there are two).

regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2044
OTOH, if I had HD-DVD, BluRay, an HDMI DVD player and a games console or two, then I would want the switching capability right now...!

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 165
Depends on the equipment you currently own and on your future acquisition plans. At this moment, I do not need an HDMI equipped receiver. My tv has 3 HDMI inputs.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 102
I recently bought a Arcam AVR-300. no HDMI but it has all the other goodies.

I figure if i have to use HDMI for something i just take it straight to the TV/projector and then take a coax for audio from the dvd player to the arcam. Same with eventually Dolby True HD and what not, just take it to the analog inputs for dvd-A on teh arcam and all is good.

HDMI is great, but visually i cant really tell the difference between that and component with some good cables.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6776
With the current disarray of the format, I would not invest a dime, unless the scenario is such as Frank layed out.
Video should always be seperate from audio, at least for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us