Speaker problem...less high frequency out of right side

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 40
I was fine tuning my system today, and added some new banana plugs, and in the subsequent testing of my speakers, I noticed something: the right speaker, specifically the tweeter, is not putting out as much high frequency sound as the left speaker. The frequencies are definitely coming out of the right tweeter, just not as loud. It's a distinct difference, and I'm sure it's there. I checked and rechecked all my connections, and it all seems fine.

What could be the problem? Wire? Connection? Amp? Speaker? I'm not sure if the problem was there or not before I started tinkering with it today, so I'm at a loss as to how to isolate it. If any of you have had similar problems, or just have some ideas on how I could test and isolate the problem, please do share.

The setup is: (the amp I bought used, everything else new)
Cambridge Audio 640A v1 amp
CA DVD89
Monitor Audio silver rs6
Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable
Audioquest interconnects and banana plugs
I've bi-wired the speakers, so I've got 4 banana plugs into each speakers, and 4 total into the amp (2 for L, 2 for R)

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10226

How loud do you play your music?

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 41
At times, very loud...think I damaged it?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1731
First, is the problem always there regardless of source - CD, tuner, etc? If not the source may be the problem. Check wires from the guilty source to the amp. Switch left and right. Does the problem change sides or stay where it is? It could be a channel output problem.

A way to start checking the speakers is swap the speaker connections - at the back of the amp, plug the right speaker leads to the left, and the left to the right.

If the same speaker has the same problem, its the speaker.

Keep going this way until you can figure it out. Let us know what happens.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 42
I only have one source, a cd/dvd, so I doubgle checked that and switched L and R, and it stayed in the same place. Then I switched the speaker wires, and it still stayed in the same place. I hate to admit, but I guess this means it's the speaker...

I bought these rs6's brand new, and have pushed it only with the CA 640A. I play it loud, but I never thought that I was pushing it too hard. These are very powerful speakers, and I always backed off, not because it sounded like they were straining, but because it was just too loud for the house. The right speaker still sounds great, other than the lack of highs in the tweeter. I can't detect any distortion or rattling.

Do you think I blew it?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10227

"At times, very loud...think I damaged it?"

Uh-huh! Since the tweeter apparently still works to some extent, you've probably damaged a piece of the crossover network. No small feat! You can certainly begin trrking down the problem by swapping speaker leads but sources and amplifiers are generally not frequency selective, they either work or they don't at all frequencies. That doesn't mean it can't happen in this case, but I wouldn't be betting on some ancillary equipment malfunction to be the cause of your problem. I'd make certain the speaker has less high frequency output from all sources
(check with FM interstation noise at low volumes) then plan on taking the speaker in for repair.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 43
OK so I tried several different sources, as well as every possible different configuration of swapping cables, and the problem is always right there in the right speaker. That pretty much isolates it to a speaker problem. Bummer!

And yes Jan, the tweeter does still work, it just sounds muted because it's not hitting the very high frequencies at all. Since I'm bi-wired, I can really tell when I hook up only the high frequency cables. So it very well may be a crossover problem.

In any case, I contacted Monitor Audio, hopefully they'll be of some help, perhaps under warranty, perhaps not. If all else fails, I know someone in town who works on crossovers.

Do you think it would be helpful to take apart myself and have a look? I'm handy, but I've never worked on Monitor Audio speakers before.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 577
I would NOT take the speakers apart... it could void the warrenty (if it still exists)

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 44
You're right, after I posted that I read the warranty, and of course it would void if I took apart, and not only that, I have to be careful of where i take it, i.e. if I take it some chap down the street and he takes it apart, it could void as well. So I'm going to wait and see what MA has to say...

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4661
Joe,

If you are out of warranty, then exchange the left and right tweeters. If you have a screwdriver it is usually not difficult, but I do not know MA.

If the defect moves with the tweeter, then examine it carefully. In the worst case, get a new, matched pair. They are not expensive, usually. Thought again I do not know MA.

If the defect does not move with the tweeter then you probably have a problem with the crossover, as Jan suggests. I pass on what to do, in that event.

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 46
I contacted my dealer, and he says he'll try to get a new tweeter from MA. Not sure if that will solve the problem or not, but it's worth a shot. He said that MA are usually cool about this type of thing, and they won't charge me.

John, you seemed to suggest that the tweeters must come in matched pairs. I assumed that all of their parts are identical...but is pairing something I need to worry about here?

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4662
Joe,

Some makers sell them in matched pairs, from the same production run. I know KEF does. You will probably find a single new one will take some time to break in. I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like you have a good dealer!

Bronze Member

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 47
A great dealer, I recommend them:
http://www.soundvideo.com/index.html

I actually live in Cali, but they give me service as if I'm right down the road.

I'll let you know how the tweeter thing goes...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us