Need new speakers

Username: Kp64

Post Number: 1
I have a Boston Acoustics VR910 center speaker, and I've been using a pair of old, but nice Kenwood's I bought oh about 14 years ago. Some how with my wonderful charm I convinced the wife it's time for new speakers. What do I need to look for in matching new speakers up to my center?

Thanks
KP

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 564
Kevin:

You did not say what receiver/amp you have (it matters!), but you should first consider an pair of Bostons (VR series) to match your center speaker. It really sounds better if all three front speakers are matched--that is, are voiced the same, so that you can have a seamless soundstage in front of you (the rears are not as important).

Let me know what electronics you have and I will be able to make a more informed suggestion.

Post Number: 2
Hey Hawk,

I have a Marantz SR5100 which I purchased about 2 years ago. I was afraid you would tell me to buy the BA VR speakers, they are a bit on the edge of my price range. I have some other electronics on the radar screen that I could need more $$$

I know you are right though in matching up the three front speakers so I may try E-bay and see if I get lucky.

Thanks again for you input.

KP

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 573
Kevin:

Contact my buddies at Kiefs (www.kiefs.com) which carries Boston speakers and have offered them at very good prices

Post Number: 3
Hawk,

Thanks for the website info. I checked on E-bay and found three options, BA VR940 for $275 a pair, VR950 for a $369.00, VR960's for $227.00, all floor models. The VR960's have 6 bids with three days left.

Username: Slimmer

Post Number: 9
hello Kevin,
i have vr950's. to be honest, i think they're a little on the bright side. but i got them for $375( 1/2 off at tweeter) and still believe they're tough to beat at that price point. i use the 950's with a boston micro system, alpine sub, and nad t752. when i scrape up enough cash i'll probably look into some new speakers. if you decide to go another route i would like to offer you a trade(barter style) ;). i'd trade you a pair of boston vrs micro bipolar surrounds and a boston pv90 subwoofer(75 watts, 8") for your 910. i'm currently using the micro center. this way, i'll have a better match for my 950's, you'll have a pair of surrounds and a sub with the liberty to choose your front three speakers. if not, good luck with boston. those ebay prices are pretty good. but i must warn you that they are a bit on the bright side. your marantz receiver is definitely a good match for them though. one more thing, i would definitely recommend the 950 over the 940 or 960. perfect match for your center, i also had the 940... the 950 is much better imho... best of luck!

Post Number: 4
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to stick with the 910 and look to pick up the 950's on Ebay. I have read the reviews that the 950's are a bit bright, and also that the bass is weak. I have a paradigm sub that should help I hope with that issue.

I wish I was a bit more technical to do a better job of building my system.

Thanks for your post though and I'll keep you updated on my Ebay action

KP

Username: Slimmer

Post Number: 10
Hello Kevin,
Weak bass? I don't think so. Maybe for HT, but for stereo, I don't use the sub unless it's a PARTAYYYY! Good luck with the 950's!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us