Channel dropping from C272

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1330
The RH channel intermittently drops out on our power amp. It has 2 sets of pre-amp inputs, one is used for the C162 pre and the other, with a variable gain control, from the front pre-outs on our Marantz receiver. It has has a tiny switch on the rear panel for selecting between the inputs and this switch is used daily.

When powering up the power amp from standby, it sometimes only has the LH channel and on one or two occassions, the RH channel has dropped out during playback. A quick back and forth of the little switch fixes the problem. My question is this: is it obvious the problem is the connections within the switch (which would suggest a relatively minor repair) or could it be something more sinister.

I know it's no biggie and that the amp is still under warranty, I am just considering the length of time needed to be without it whilst getting it repaired.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6754
MR, the little switch would jump up. However, since the switch changes the profile and channeling of the amp's power section, I fear that the fault lies deeper in the innards.
If it was just the switch, the fault would show up continuously.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6755
You might consider calling ahead to have the little switch ready to install and hang around for a bit at a pre-arranged time.
Then try again.

I do not recall, have you had the unit cleaned/serviced yet?
I think the cleaning is included with the componant warranty, that may find a dust bunny or gremlin, as well.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1332
Thanks Nuck, good thoughts. No haven't had a service, only had the unit a bit over a year. But I guess I'll talk to my dealer see if he can find out if it is a known problem first before I take it in.

The other thing when just wiggling the switch without selecting, can cause a bit of static prior to the channel coming back fully. But selecting back and forth is an instant fix.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6761
Definately tell them the exact switch problem, then, and have one on hand for the visit.
Again, I think the annual is included with your amp's warranty.
If you do use it so often, as compared to other users, you might want to look into a different, more robust switch.
I doubt this will affect your warranty.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1333
Yeah, I was thinking about a better switch if that proves to be the prob. Thanks Nuck. We hope to get away for a week or so next month (pending moving parents in time), hopefully it'll last 'til then. In the meantime I'll talk to the dealer and use your advice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6762
right then, MR, good luck!
Let us know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us