Let me try it this way............

Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 2
Currently I have a 30 year old system (Technics sa-5350 w/BIC Venturi speakers, don't laugh too hard)from my college days that rocked the dorm. System still works great but my kids are pressing me to get a new system with Home Theatre properties.
I am looking to spend 3500 - 4000 total for the system (receiver, speakers & sub).
Equipment reviewed:
Yamaha rxv2400
: Aperion Power Tower 5.1 system
: Axiom Epic 60
: Monitor Audio S6 towers, S1 bookcase & Silver SLCR
Aperion & Axiom I am unable to listen to but reviews around the web seem to be favorable for both. I was able to listen to the MA's and I enjoyed them.
We will be using the system for Movies (40%) and Music (60%).
WFA is important as this system will be setup in our living room (24'x30'x10') and due to the kitchen (additional 20'x15'x10') being connected we are able to use a 5.1 system only due to the rears being basically in the kitchen (not good per the wife).
Movies and Music listening styles run the extreme in our home from jazz/easy listening/hard rock/country and movies from action to drama and documentaries.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 3
Another speaker that I'm really interested in is the Green Mountain Europa but would I be able to utilize them in a 5.1 system? If so....what recommendations?

Unregistered guest
Billy, don't laugh but that old Technics reciever probably sounds as good or better than many newer products. Yamaha, though they have a big name, never really impressed me with audio components. And I sold them for years. You'll want to either go digital with your new amp (Panasonic XR-45) or something like a H/K; N.A.D.; Rotel or Onkyo that has high current capability. Speakers demand current from the amp, especially when the impedence dips. The GMA Europa's kick butt in a big way. Sound great on ANY kind of music. Not much out there that can touch them even at 3x the price. Your on the right track. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 566
Billy:

Again, the Aperions are a poor match for the Yamaha receiver. The Yamaha is a bit bright with an exaggerated upper midrange (2-4Khz), which the Aperion also has. This can lead to a very bright system that can cause listener fatigue. It just isn't a good match. I am also not a fan of the Axioms as they seem to use lots of bass to impress the listener, but do not have the detail of the finer speakers. The excessive bass gets old before long.

As i said in your other thread, I think the MA Silvers with a Marantz receiver would be your best bet. Smooth and refined with lots of detail.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Try to sell your Venturi's to the guy asking about PA vs. home theater speakers. He should have a hard time blowing up the B.I.C.'s. What shape/color are the foam covers in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us