Vintage vs. New on a budget - Marantz, Pioneer, NAD

Username: Johnblue

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I consider myself a newbie, and I'm feeling a bit overwhlemed by model numbers, options, etc.

I used to have a decent system made of a Luxman receiver and Onkyo CD with PSB speakers about 10 years ago. I've been without any real system since then (living abroad) and now am looking to invest in something that will last.

It would primarily be for music (95%), with maybe a DVD once a week. I don't think I care about surround sound so much, but am wondering whether I should.

I live in a VERY SMALL apartment in Manhattan (the main room it will be in is 7x10feet, but the sound will also carry into the lliving room of about 10x20), and I listen to classical, jazz and world music mostly. So, great sound at low volume is my primary concern. I also spend a fair amount of time listening through headphones (Grado).

I want to keep it under $600, which is asking alot, I know. I've been looking at new, entry-level NAD, Marantz and Harmon Kardon A/V and stereo receivers, and I've listened to several different configurations at local shops.

But, then I got seduced by the look and mystique of vintage Marantz and Pioneer receivers, though I don't have much firsthand experience with them. I'm also not mechanically or electronically inclined.

For my needs and budget, is vintage the way to go? If so, which models make sense? I've read especially about the cult-like status of the Marantz 2270. Any models/years to avoid? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10202

Avoid any 2270"B". The only Marantz receivers to buy are those with the sticker on the rear which states the unit was manufactured in California, USA. All other receivers were built in the third world and parts were substituted as bins ran dry. Marantz never designed a receiver until Saul Marantz had sold the company to SuperScope. "Vintage" Marantz pieces are all separate components such as the 7C and 8B. None of these pieces have blue dial lights and they bear little resemblance to the later line of Marantz receivers.

Pioneer built very good tuners in the 1970's. They weren't included in their receivers but they could build a very good separate tuner. Most of the Japanese audio companies that were sold in the US in the 1970's could build very good equipment and often did for non-US markets. I don't understand the appeal of 1970's Japanese receivers. I cannot remember anyone who sold these lines preferring them to an Americam made receiver such as Harman Kardon. The one exception would be first generation Yamaha. Unfortunately Yamaha currently does not support any of this product with parts or service so buying a vintage Yamaha is truly a crap shoot. My recommendation would be a vintage McIntosh receiver which you can find anywhere from $400 to 1,000 depending on model and condition.

http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?miscrcvr&1&ctg&st1

http://www.audioclassics.com/cat.php3?cat=Receivers&p=1

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan, that's very helpful information.

I think vintage McIntosh might still be a little rich for my budget, though I will take a closer look at them. Is it worth also looking at vintage H/K based on what you say? If so, any particular models or years to look for? Should I absolutely avoid the blue light special of the Marantz, i.e. the 2200-2300 series from the '70s? Many people absolutely gush over their sound, so it's interesting to hear your assessment, which seems to be that they are overrated or perhaps unpredictable in quality.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10214

HK is generally HK. They seldom built a bad unit so you should be safe with almost any HK receiver. The dual powered units from the 1970's were very nice for the money and if you can step up to the Citation amplifiers, you will have very good sound for not much money.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether you can trust what you read regarding Marantz and Pioneer. I didn't and don't care for the products but apparently some people do. With vintage gear if it doesn't suit your tatse, you can usually resell the receiver for what you paid.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1161
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z&status=

Post Number: 3
Thanks a lot for your opinions. Actually, before my original post, I went to a local shop and compared a new H/K receiver to a new Yamaha that was twice the price, and the H/K seemed to have much greater clarity. I'll take a closer look at them.

Post Number: 4
I have a follow up question, if you don't mind.

What entry-level speakers do you recommend for a new HK receiver like the one mentioned? I heard some Epos for $329 that sounded amazing. Also, is it kosher to pair new speakers with a vintage receiver?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10218

Tell me why you think it wouldn't be OK?

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 125
Don't waste your time. Nothing you say to Mister Know it All will matter anyway. Don't give him the pleasure of thinking you care about his responses.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6746
Sure, John M.
Pair anything you want to try. A little reference info on the componants is always good advise, the older bits should be cleaned and tightened, by yourself or a service center, if the unit is worthy of attention.
If it was not worthy of attention, then you wouldn't try it, right?

At entry level, and with a H/K receiver in particular, I like Athena f2.2 floorstanders.
Big box store to be sure, and they would benefit from some cabinet bracing( I would try that after warranty myself).

If the epos sounded amazing, they might be all you need!

I am a firm believer in the H/K build quality and ability. Sound Quality is up to you.

And save up for a good cdplayer. It is all the difference in the world.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 478
I also would second HK as being top knotch in the budget arena. As far as vintage, I wouldn't really go that route unless we are talking about a company like McIntosh, with a firm reputation of supporting their products, but that is just one mans opinion.

Now for speakers, there are loads of choices there. Nuck's choice of Athena is ok, but in your room, I'd go with something a bit smaller. In any event, there are a lot of choices out there, from companies like Energy, Totem, NHT, Klipsch, Wharfedale, etc.

Post Number: 5
Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. I'll continue my research firsthand at shops around town.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us