Wharfedale EVO 2 8

Username: Antm88

Post Number: 5
Has anyone heard these speakers? I was considering buying Diamond 9.1s which have very good reviews and sell for about 150GPB including P&P, but I've just noticed that there are EVO 2 8's selling for the same price, which is confusing as they seem to be marketed as a higher range. The specs of the two speakers are kinda similar, but the evo 2 8's said to be of 'higher quality construction'. I can hardly find any information on them whatsoever. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks, Anthony

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 419
If they're the same price go with the evos. Everyone who's compared them to the diamonds say the evos are slightly upperclass. They're almost like flagship diamonds.
Although on ebay you may want to check out deals on the diamonds, they go for a good price!

Post Number: 6
Thanks, that has reassured me; that was the impression I got as well about the evos, but I havent heard any comments specifically about the evo mk2 range, only about the previous one - perhaps they have only just come out. I just feel that it seems to good to be true that the same shop would sell both the diamond 9.1s and the evo 2 8s for the same price (its not that they are selling the 9.1s for a lot). All of the evo 2's specs seem to be an improvement of the 9.1s so why would they sell them for the same :|. Anyways, thanks for your help, I'm almost persuaded to go ahead and order them now incase that price changes or they sell out :-)
I'm having no luck on ebay at the moment, I tried going for some diamonds a couple of times but people keep upping the price in the last 30 secs :-( at 3 in the morning aswell!

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
Go for it. I doubt you'll regret it. Yes the evo 2 range has recently come out. The evos were highly rated and there cabinet finish is nicer.
Check out google for some reviews, they're easy to find:
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-5575.html

If thats the old evo range, the new one is basically the same just more refined. Wharfedale are just keeping the market.

I'd say buy them and whats the worst that could happen? Sell them on ebay if you dont like them. Just make sure you give them a lot of time to bed in, my diamond 8.1s took weeks to trully get to their full potential.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for your help, I have now ordered them

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
Post back when you get them and say what you think! Enjoy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
U got them yet?

Post Number: 8
Not yet, they were supposed to arrive today - they should come tomorrow and I'll post my first impressions asap. I can only really directly compare them to Diamond 8.2s. At the moment I'm just using them for computer audio so heres my setup:
Winamp (MAD audio + HQ resampler & ASIO out) >> M-audio audiophile 24/96 (analogue out) >> QED Qunex 1 IC >> NAD C320BEE >> MS907W sub >> EVO 2 8s (Supra Rondo cable i think)
I'll try them with and without the sub.

Post Number: 9
The evo 2 8s have just arrived now!! I've left them playing for about 2 hours as I had to go out.

I ordered the black ones, and looks-wise they are fantastic: As far as I can tell the veneer is real wood and the powder finish black metal surrounds look very classy. They feel very solid too. I've got to admit the connectors at the back are a little bit annoying using banana plugs as they are in a strange arrangement. I used a biwire cable to plug them in.

My first impression of the sound: very detailed and accurate sound with a quite a bit of treble. They sound great with my set up, but I think that possibly for use without a sub they would be lacking a bit too much in bass (for my liking anyway ). I was listening to some Steely Dan and the first thing I noticed was how amazing the drums and vocals sounded! They sounded very tight and upbeat and the vocals were incredibly well reproduced. Listening to other music, you could almost imagine yourself in the recording area - they seem to be able to place where all the instruments are coming from and seperate them. Acoustic recordings sound very realistic. You can pick out a lot of details which you wouldn't have noticed before. I would say this set up is great for my music taste - so far I've listened to Steely Dan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Sublime, BB King, Funkadelic, Rush, The Moody Blues and PFM and they all sound great.

I would say these are an excellent pair of speakers with a subwoofer, and for the same price I bought my Diamond 8.2s a while ago (£150), I'm very pleased with them and I consider them amazing value for money. I'll put some photos up soon as there don't appear to be many around on the internet.

Post Number: 10
Photos (sorry they may take some time to load):
Evolution2 8 angle
Evolution2 8 front
Evolution2 8 from back
Evolution2 8 connections plate
Evolution2 8 info panel
The Setup

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Very nice Ant. Your right I noticed vocals and drums sound great with the diamonds too. How do you compare your evos to your 8.2s?

Nice room too, beats mine :-(. I need to revamp my room and get some stands so I can spread my speakers out more.

Im still waiting on my Tannoy Sensys DC1s coming that I ordered Tuesday. Since theres hardly any reviews about for them I'll post my opinions here!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us