Digital Connection to Receiver - Do CD player quality matter?

Username: Fletcher

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 1
Hi there. I connect my DVD player to my amp directly via optical cable connection. Logically, all the digital signals should be the same right? Just 1s and 0s output into the receiver, and using different CD/DVD players (of decent build quality) to play CDs should not affect the sound quality? Sorry newbie question, somebody enlighten me please, thanks.

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 2
anyone there with any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Fletcher, the proper way to assemble a hi-fi system is as follows: Source is ALWAYS most important. Why? Cannot possibly improve upon a signal downstream. Make sense? Then, follow the signal path: Cables from source to amp/pre-amp then amp/pre amp, speaker wires, and lastly....speakers. Can't tell you how many so called "audiophiles" replace speakers with the latest and greatest while still using a junk source. Result? Sounds worse. Why? Those detailed, high dollar speakers quite simply more clearly reveal every fault of ANY component PRIOR to the speaker. Funny thing happens now. In the audiophile's mind, the ONLY thing that was changed was the speakers. They MUST be junk, right? WRONG. See how easy it is to become really confused? Now.....you tell me. Is the CD player important?

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 187
Fletcher,

To convert the digital signal to analog, you can use either the DAC in the cd/dvd player or the DAC in the receiver. If you have an optical (digital) connection, then you're using the DAC in the receiver. In that case does it matter which cd/dvd player you use? Even though the DAC is an important piece of the signal path, there are other factors that could affect sound quality, such as the power supply in the cd/dvd player, the quality of the disc transport, and structural mechanisms for reducing vibration and jitter.

There probably won't be much of a difference in sound quality in cheaper cd/dvd players with a digital connection to the receiver. But when you get into the more expensive cd/dvd players with more design features and better DACs, there could be significant differences. And you would probably get better sound quality using the player's DAC connected to the receiver with an analog connection (unless you're using a high-end receiver or pre-amp with superior DACs).

Hope this helps.

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 5
Thanks Two cents, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. So I gather that with cheaper players, using digital connection to use amp DAC is better, and this means that DVD player quality will make little difference compared to speakers or room acoustics.

Thanks to maui also for his response.

Justin Rex
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,
I need a help. I have a tv,vcr and dvd player in my living room. I want to have an audio system in such a way that i want a couple of speakers in my living room, a couple of speakers in my basement and a couple of them placed in the porch. When i play a audio cd, i want to hear the music in my living room as well as in the basement and outdoors. If possible, i should also be able to switch off the sound to the basement speakers/porch speakers. Is there any home theatre system that can cater to this need ? Can anyone help me reg what i need to buy to accomplish this. I dont know much about receivers/amplifiers etc...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us