Monitor Audio Silver System?

Unregistered guest
I've been leaning towards purchasing Monitor Audio's S-6 , S-1 and SLCR for a home theatre system but was also looking at Axiom or Aperion 522D-PT system. Trying to stay under $2400 for system. I will be using a Yamaha RXV-2400 receiver.
Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
Billy-

I have and love my MA Silver 6's, the SLCR, and my sfx surrounds. I would recommend them to anyone if it's in their budget. However, I don't think your receiver which I am guessing you already have will not match up good with the MA's. There are other posts with this subject matter. Hawk and Elite will agree with me, Yamaha and MA's don't mix well.

Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 1
I haven't purchased the receiver yet.... I read some reviews on the Yamaha 2400 and was impressed with the features and staying around $1000 for the receiver. My overall budget for the speakers and receiver is 3500 but will to stretch to 4000 if needed.
Any suggestions on a receiver to compliment the MA's?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 35
see my comments on the other recent thread "advice needed for main speakers..." i loved the sounds of s8's w/nad stereo recvr, and am probably going to buy the s8's w/an nad 773.

Fab 5
Unregistered guest
check out Pioneer Elite, NAD, and Integra receivers.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 565
Billy:

For the Monitor Audios, I highly recommend a Marantz receiver. If you are considering the Yamaha RX-V2400, you should consider the Marantz SR-7400, which has a warmer sound. The MA Silver series are wonderful sounding speakers, but they can be a little cold and steely sounding with the wrong electronics (e.g., Yamaha). The Marantz, however, has a much warmer sound than the Yamaha and thus sounds very pleasant playing MA speakers.

Now, if you want to save some $, yet want top drawer sound, check out the earlier generation, a Marantz SR-7300ose. The "ose" is a special edition that is extremely good. MSRP for the ose was $1199, but I just saw Accessories4less.com is selling them for $750 (last year's model). This is a far better receiver than the Yamaha, with more power and is cleaner sounding, too. At that price, it is a steal--and a wonderful combination with the MA Silvers! Check it out as they have very limited quantitites.

Good luck!

Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 4
Hawk:
THank you for the info. I went to Accessories4less.com and found the 7300ose but noticed that it is a Reconditioned Unit for $769. What are your thoughts on recondition items and if I should spring for the new 7400 model ($899) or jump up to a new 8300 ($1200)?
Any thoughts on how the Marantz would work with Green Mountain Eupora speakers? Would like to use them in a 5.1 system if possible, but don't know what to use for center and surround speakers. Maybe the MA Silver center and surrounds?
Thks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us