Amp Bridging Question

Username: Marcura05

New York

Post Number: 1
Not sure if thats the correct term but heres my question.

I just got a great deal on a plasma and am less than impressed with the audio. I am planning on having a home theater one day, just not today.

I have an old stereo amp and my friend gave me his old left, right and center speakers. The amp has two sets of speaker outs. If I hook up the left and right to set 2, how should I hook up the center channel?

In my car stero days I recall running the positive to the left channel and the negative to the right channel. Would this work or blow something up?

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 480
THis amp is *two* channle you have three speakers you cant do it

red is positive
black is negative

New York

Post Number: 2
i hooked up like this- and got sound, so I guess it does work?
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6697
I would respond, Marc, but I think I have had too much beer. Hard to focus.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10181

First it depends on the power supply employed in your receiver. Most receivers are common ground and you can easily accomplish the connection between channels. A very few amplifiers will not care for any connection between the outputs of the two channels and damage to the amplifier might occur should you attempt the connection. So, unless you are certain your receiver can handle this phantom center connection, I wouldn't chance it. If you are absolutely positive your receiver has common ground and can deal with the load of the additional speaker, you can run from either the two "-" posts or the two "+" posts. One will give you difference information and the other will provide summed information. Normally the center channel is happier with summed content. You may have to provide a level control for your center speaker which might make the process of connection more dificult and place more of a load on the receievr's power amplifier. My advice would be to wait until you have a receiver capable of easy connection and control of all the channels before you jerry-rig a center to a stereo receiver. Most program material will sound fine in two channel and a center can be more distracting than beneficial if it is not set up correctly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6722
Marc, enjoy stereo.
Mine works great.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 132
What the hell happened to that picture?

It was crystal clear last night.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 482
lol Nuck

New York

Post Number: 3
"you can run from either the two "-" posts or the two "+" posts."

are you suggesting hooking the center up to either both - or + and not one of each like i had?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10189

That's what you did?!!! Damn, that's not what I saw in the picture. I must be drunk!

OK, let's assume your receiver with this connection was a common ground power supply. Both return posts (-) are tied together at the chassis and you could get away with tying both return legs of both speakers to one "-" post. The only difference would be where you tie the "+" leg and, if you did that to the right channel post, your center speaker would be outputting right channel information only.

If this is what you did previously, and it sounded great to you, I'm not sure whether I would suggest a HT receiver or not. There may be too many posts to choose from.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6725
cloud cover at 6' and above. Over.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10191

That's no cloud cover. That's the smoking gun that turns into a mushroom cloud. KAboom!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6726
I would like to buy a vowel...
anything coloured green...

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 75
Many (really) years ago I hooked up 10ohm 10 watt power resistors in place of speakers. I hooked up a pair of speakers IN SERIES from plus to plus. This is difference information and made a wonderful backchannel......this was in the days of early 'matrix' four channel and I had to play. I got the idea from an original 4-channel adaptor, which I figured was only out of phase stuff to 'rear' speakers...and had no amp of its own.
This is a real reach so DO NOT TRY THIS...unless you are willing to smoke some gear. Common ground is essential.
Nice Snapshot...........
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us