Speaker Auditions, Paradigm 20's & Monitor Audio RS1's

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 30
Well I had posted a thread earlier in the week about possibly upgrading my speakers (Monitor Audio RS1's) now that I have an Arcam AVR300 a/v receiver and was looking at maybe ditching my 2 subs, getting just one sub (HSU or SVS) and going to the Monitor Audio RS6's for fronts. I thought about it and being I have a fairly small room (15Lx11W7H), I think floorstanders are not the way to go. So several people suggested in my earlier post and on other forums that the Paradigm Studio 20's maybe a good choice for me so I decided to go down to my local dealer and compare the Monitor Audio RS1's vs. the Paradigm Studio 20's. Well I definately like the Monitor Audio RS1's better than the Paradigm Studio 20's. IMO, the RS1's have better hi & mid-range, a wider soundstage, and more transparency to them than the studio 20's. The bass was also a little tighter & faster. The Studio 20's have more power and a larger bass sound on the low ends. I think the 20's maybe better if you are a 2 channel, rock/bass driven type of listener, where as if your a Home Theater and classical/jazz/blues type of person you'd be btter off with the RS1's. Also considering the Studio 20's are almost $200CDN more, the RS1's are great value.

To add to the mix we then went to another level listening to the Monitor Audio GS10's, this will be my next purchase. These speakers are awesome in every way and miles ahead of the RS1's, and so they should be for $2000CDN. Also I auditioned the Amphion Argon2's and to me the MA's were very similar but better. Considering the Argon2's price tag was figured to be around the $2000-$2900 range the GS10's are great value & quality. One quick question how does the Paradigm Ultracube 10($1000CDN) stack up against the HSU STF-3 and SVS PB10/12-NSD subwoofers???

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4526
Less boomy...one of Paradigm's best subs. Still I feel that the ML Dynamo is quite competitive.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6706
Darren, you 2-timing Canadian bastage!
All that work and now you cough up the money?!

The gs10's are quite good, and your Arcam will drive tough loads.

Have you looked into Dynaudio?
The 42's are stout little fellows. The 52's are good too.

The budget is running up...

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 231
What about Era 5's? or Totem Mini's or Totem Dreamcatchers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Nuck,
Don't know anything about Dynaudio, I don't think you can get them here in Canada, what is the price range on those???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Uback007,
Can you give some info on those Era 5's, Totem is Canadian so I may be able to find a dealer. What's the prices of the Era 5's & Totems???

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 234
The Era 5's retail for $900, but can be bought for $800 if you can find a dealer that will discount. The Totems are around the same price, maybe a little bit more.

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 55
How are the Era 5's compared to the Studio 20's?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 238
close, but to my ear the era's edge the Paradigm out in the refinement department. I don't know if you happened to see an earlier post about how I obtained the Era's. I actually bought a set of 20's, new and hated the cherry laminate, loved the sound however. Unfortunately vanity won out and I took them back. The night I did this the dealer showed me the Era's to do whatever possible to save the sale. We a-b'd them and I was floored. The Era's in that environment sounded awesome. I bought them on the spot.
You can't go wrong. Currenltly listening to them as I write this, Bill Evans piano live from '58 incredible.
Good luck and let me know if you happen to have any other questions.

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 56
I am very interested in the Era's, but I am concerned that I dont have enough power to do them justice. Just how much power do they need?

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 241
I would say at least 100 true wpc.
I am powering them with a Cambridge Audio 65 watts into 8 ohms and around 80 watts into 6 ohms, (the Era's are 6 ohm speakers) it sounds pretty darn good, however the Era's really can deliver when pairing them with a higher powered amp that will provide more headroom.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 482
Art: I think the SVS and Hsu would probably perform at a similar level with the Paradigm sub (if not perhaps better), with the Hsu potentially being the best in that group. The Dynamo would wipe the floor with all of the above in terms of tightness though IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 105
Uback are you using CA640 v1??? I was planning on getting one myself and using external amp later on like the rotel rb-1070 or parasound or nad

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 244
You can buy mine. email me at cobyutterback@hotmail.com if you're intersted.
I am going to be putting on Audiogon soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us