Speaker options, need some guidance????

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 25
I'm currently looking at options to upgrade my speaker system. I use my system relatively 50/50 for music/HT. Right now I'm using Monitor Audio RS1's combined with 2 side firing powered subs(Angsrtom Modular 8's), the Monitors sit on them. Here are the specs on the subs since many people aren't familiar with them: Operational frequency noise - 30Hz-180Hz,variable from 50Hz - 180Hz, Amplifier -120 Watts RMS.
Here are my options:
1) Do nothing leave as is, always looking to improve though
2) Add another sub that can go to lower frequencies and has a stronger amplifier
3) Trade in my RS1's for GS10's and just use the current 2 subs
4) Trade in my RS1's and 2 subs for Monitor Audio RS6's(small floorstanders) and add the Monitor Audio RSW 12 sub - Frequency Response - 21Hz - 120KHz,
Power Handling RMS (W) 500 Watts (R.M.S) 1000 Watts (Peak)

What would you suggest doing? Option 1 would cost zero, 2 about $600.00CDN, 3&4 are about equal at $1000.00CDN. Your opinons are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6644
Darren, what about option #5?

Get the speaks offa the subs, place them on proper stands.
Move the bass units to different room locations and place everything in it's best position?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 165
Why should he get the speakers off the subs?

The subwoofer is the most solid, stable, and vibration free place in a room. I would argue a subwoofer is more solid and stable and more suitable speaker position than stands.(providing they place the speaker at an ideal height)

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 466
Depends on the subwoofer. It may or may not be all that stable of a platform. And of course as you mention, height is a concern.

Of course there is also the problem that the best place for speaker imaging is generally not the best place to reproduce bass in a room.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 168
Depends on the subwoofer. It may or may not be all that stable of a platform.
-----------------------------------------

If you want to play semantics, I should have stated that any well-made subwoofer will remain rock solid and vibration free.

The only subs that vibrate or shake are those that are cheaply built. Any good sub will remain rock solid and still, even while it cracks the sheetrock and disturbs everything else in the house. LOL

If I wanted to display antique china in my HT, placing it directly on the top of my subwoofer would probably be the safest place in the room. If it was placed anywhere else, it would surely end up in pieces

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 121
Rush, I think Darren is looking to improve upon the sound in his room. As Nuck pointed out, I doubt that the best place for his sub is directly under his speaker, as far as sound goes. Regardless of the stability of the sub. Unless of course he has found the sweet spot for his sub in his room. In which case I doubt the best place for his speakers is directly over his sub. Regardless of the stability of the sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6658
Rush, put your China on Angstrom subs.

This is not a properly configured 3 way speaker system, this is putting subs away from the corners(only hope for them) and carrying the small monitors with them.

Or putting the monitors in the room 2' from the back wall, 8' apart, 7' from the center chair, and having the side firing subs so far away from a reflecting surface as to have zero effect.

Neither one twittles me at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Thanks for the info guys but these subs were designed with the idea that the Angstrom Modular 8's could be used as a stand and the 2/3/or 4's could be placed on top of them. Here is a link to their website and you can check it out:http://www.angstromloudspeakers.com/docs/products/modular/modular_details.htm
I could also place the 4's on top of the 8's and use the Monitor Audio RS1's as rears? Due to my room configuration which is 11 feet wide by 15 long by 7 feet high I'm constrained to placing the subs with the RS1's on top at the back wall about 2 feet out and about 7 feet apart. No where to move the subs around to. Any more opinions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6671
Darren, thanks for the link.
If the idea is to stack the 4's on the sub's, then do so, as the RS1's are not designed that way.
Can you move the room around to relocate things?
Like maybe move the sub(1) to a short corner and put the RS1's on stands along the short wall?
Put the others aside for now, and not try to use all of it at once?

Maybe stand back, look at the room and build step by step.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Thanks Nuck, maybe I'll try a few things first. The 4's are a bi-polar speaker, does that matter for 2 channel stereo as I thought bi-polar was meant for surround sound, correct me if I'm wrong???? I'd really like to have more power for my 2 channel stereo listening, hence I thought the RS1's would give me that over the Modular 2's I had.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6673
The RS-1's may be more efficient than the Ang's, and if so, would play with more volume, but not more 'power'.
I have had to re-read again to try and provide something useful.

Let's go back to option #4.
If that option includes a sub, where would it go?
Wherever it would go, try one current sub there. Not as a permanent solution, but then the RS1's on stands could move around the room a bit till you find the best spot.
This spot may not be handy, mind you, but the spot is there somewhere.
I am trying to get you to maximize what you have first, before swapping stuff for $ and being disappointed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I agree Nuck that swapping stuff may not be my best option as I might not gain anything of real significance. Speakers are tricky and some just sound better in your setup than others. I put Pearl Harbour on last night and there is definately not a bass issue, those Modular's did a real nice job of producing bass. I have a fairly small room so I don't think I need a huge 500 watt sub. One dealer that I go to(the one who sold me the Angstrom setup)suggested to add a real sub, the Anthony Gallo Acoustics TR-2????

Now as for putting the RS1's on stands, it is possible but I only have 2 and I'd have to take the 4's off them as there on stands in the back and i'd need to purchase another set of stands. My question is what will I really gain by putting the RS1's on stands other than being able to move them around which I don't really have another option to other than where they are against the back wall 2 feet out and about 7 feet apart, on either side of my tv and stereo stand????

Gold Member

Post Number: 6678
Darren, whay I am suggesting is that yoy try each speaker in it's best position, to see what they can do.
Try this in stereo with 1 sub.
Your positioning sounds about right, start with the speak straight ahead in the 2'x7' position.

Have a friend toe-in the speakers ever so slightly and listen to a familiar piece of music, not too loud.
Keep turning the speals in, until you find the sweet spot.

I suggest a scantily clad blonde as a helper, but thats just me.
And cold beer.

If you are just starting out, this is a worthwhile exercise, because this is how it is done.
Or keep spending. I have that covered for you over the last 25 years.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us