Surround sound set up with in-ceiling speakers? Is it possible?

Username: Apollo007

Post Number: 4
My living room is small (10'x13').

Is it possible to surround sound set up with limitation of all speaker must be in-ceiling?
Accept for subwoofer which will be on the floor

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3541
I'd use smaller compact loudspeakers for the surrounds that are all the same and placed along the sidewalls with up to 4 each side 4 on the back wall and for the ceiling height surround again using the same in groups can be anywhere from 4 to 10 for the height surround this will allow the coverage of height surrounds to be very uniformed.

This is something that I have done in my home cinema with terrific results.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 104
Yes you can do it, will it sound as good... no. I always perceive the sound from coming from above me and i cant stand it. Very distracting and just not what i like.

But, If its what you gotta do you gotta do it.

Post Number: 5
I went to Ken Cranes store where there's in-ceiling speakers set up, 3 in front, 3 at the back, 2 subs) And you are right, it doesn't sound as good b/c he sound coming from above.

Yep, I gotta do what I gotta to do. I have no other choice beside putting them on the floor and I'm not likely to do that.

Thank you!

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3550
Yes but using ceiling loudspeakers defects the object of the three-screen propose that is the three matching fronts go up front placed either above a TV, monitor and at the same height, or placed behind a perforated screen when used in conjunction with a video project.

Placing the fronts in the ceiling only messes up the sound (psychoacoustics) the way we perceive sound now you'll never see a dubbing stage of a cinema doing its bad practice!

If you what to play around with in-ceiling play with the surrounds for height leave the rest of the surrounds along the sidewalls and rear wall.

F%ucking amateurs!

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 608
Apollo, have you heard the new Speakercraft TIME Five speakers? They are in-ceiling speakers designed to swivel down and direct the sound at you. They would be a substantial step up from what you most likely heard.

Here is a review, but you really need to hear these for yourself. I myself haven't heard them, but think that they MAY work.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/inwallspeakers/207speak/

Also, these Thiel speakers are outstanding. They mount ON the ceiling instead of in it. The sound quality is stellar, and is something to behold from a ceiling mounted speaker. I have not heard better in this category. IMHO, they produce sound that just hovers in space, with the listener unaware of the location of the speakers.

Here is a review for the Thiel speakers. I can't get the Thiel site to load for you.

http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20020301.htm

These aren't cheap, comming in at around $1300-$1400 each if I remmeber correctly. But, if you want premium sound that doesn't take up floorspace... here you go.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Gavin, just spoke with SpeakerCraft. The company is only an hour away from where I live so I will go visit them and listen to those TIME speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6912
Hey that works pretty well!

Gold Member

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3558
Yeah then go and listen to professional THX in the cinema and you'll know the truth that loudspeakers belong behind the screen since 1927! Only THX has the edge.

Post Number: 8
My Living room
Backwall is a staircase.
Left wall is 8' glass sliding door
No wall on the right
Front stage has two 6' glass sliding door with 15" wall in between just enough to hang TV.

I don't have a wall for speakers.
To put speakers in front, it will be the way for the opening of the two sliding doors.
Putting speakers on the stand at the back wall is okay.

A/V, DVD, PS3, PC, etc. are concealed in the wall-cabinet in front of the stair.

Cocoon shut da F%uck up!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6925
Hey Apollo, you can stay!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us