Which Amp to use with Thiel 3.6's

Username: Alamedatraveler

Post Number: 1
I am installing a new home theater system in my den. I plan to use my newly traded for Thiel 3.6's as the left and right speakers. I was looking at either the Denon 2807 or the Marantz SR 5001 to run the Home Theater piece. Which amp will give me better sound when just playing CD's (jazz mostly)and using the two Thiels as stereo speakers not part of the 7.1 setup. Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4469
Neither will do your speakers justice.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10147

Thiels require lots of real honest power and gobs and gobs of current on demand. That doesn't sound like a job for a receiver to me. Either pick better amplifiers or change your speaker choice.

Username: Alamedatraveler

Post Number: 2
What you are saying is what I suspected. Understanding it is a small room and I typically play music at fairly low volumes (low enough to have conversations - loud enough to ehjoy the music as music) what would you suggest? A separate amp for the music and let the home theater stuff play on its own amp? Thoughts and amp suggestions appreciated. Understand I am not Daddy Warbucks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4470
I've listened to Thiels with Bryston amps and liked the result.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10150

http://www.soundstage.com/rise01_4.htm

What does the dealer suggest?

I really don't care for the idea of the bigger Thiels as HT speakers. They present too many compromises in equipment choice and they will reveal too many deficiencies in whatever is in front of them, such as a HT receiver running as the pre amp for a separate amplifier that can adequately drive the Thiels' load.

This "revealing" problem includes the basic material on most DVD's and satellite TV. You might hear too much of the production work that went into many DVD's and TV shows when you listen for long periods of time through the Thiels. If you cannot place the Thiels in the best location for soundstaging and imaging along with bass response, then why bother with the Theils in this instance? These are their real strong points and other speakers can do much of the same thing as the Thiels in more general sound quality terms. In other words, if the speakers must fit the average layout of most HT's situated in a family space, you will loose many of the sought after qualities of the Thiels.

If you are pairing the Thiels with a subwoofer, which would alleviate some of the impedance problems of the Thiels, then why buy the larger Thiels? And, should that be the case, possibly wouldn't there be a better distribution of funds for this system? Putting most of your money into the speakers is old school thinking, particularly when you choose Thiels. You haven't given enough information at this point for me to say much more about this choice of equipment for this use.

Normally I would say trust your dealer, they should have determined your needs and given their best advice based upon what feedback you've given them. Are they just looking to do a fairly quick sale and pointing to reasonably good stuff that fits your perception of quality based on price? Or, have they really spent the time to figure out what will serve your needs the best and made a recommendation based on need rather than desire?

If you like the Thiels for their tonal balance, I would suggest you set up a music only system with the Thiels as your main speakers. If you like the Thiels for their tonal balance with HT, there are better choices for HT speakers with similar qualites of sound but not so brutal on the amplifier. If the dealer finds no problem with the Thiels and the Denon or Marantz receiver, I would ask them to justify the use of a receiver for this purpose with difficult to drive and very revealing speakers and then you need to listen long and hard to determine what you hear. You are the final arbitter here.

If the dealer cannot justify their selection of receiver and speakers (I assume they more or less directed you to this combination), you need to do more research into the receiver. The Denon is considered to have "excellent" sound quality but I know nothing of its capacity to drive low impedance loads. Excellent sound quality means nothing to me if the receiver is in the shop for repairs. Possibly the dealer has other clients who have used this combination. Ask for names and call them. Without spending large dollars for a HT receiver, I just don't think the Thiels are what I would pair with any mass market receiver and I don't really think much of running a separate amplifier off a HT receiver's pre amp. Your opinion might be different. If you aren't satisfied with the dealers answers, find another dealer.

Bronze Member
Username: Pkmaven

Boynton Beach, FL United States

Post Number: 22
I agree with Art. I have listened to all Thiel speakers driven by a Bryston 4B and there must be a nice synergy pairing these products. The Bryston can drive anything and loves the big Thiels. P.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10207

In my experience (selling Thiels for numerous years) no amplifier loves Thiels, they merely tolerate it's load and manage to overcome the difficulties. McIntosh, Rowland and Mark Levinson are the Dr. Martin Luhter King's of the audio world when it comes to driving Thiels and have been to the mountain top with many Thiel designs. They all do a good job of ignoring the constant yank on their chain from the Thiel crosovers. All of these are a long way from a Denon receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 118
Generally Thiels and Brystons, appropriately paired, seem to work well together. Of course in another forum, Jan suggests that specs, other than receiver dimensions, are "irrelevant". You pays your money and takes your chances.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10211

What do "specs" have to do with this thread, DA? I assume you still can't tell me. You're reminding me more of dw all the time, all mouth and no facts to back it up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
One day you'll figure it out, Jan. Check you later dumb dumb.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10212

Still can't answer the question, eh, DA? All mouth, no facts. Yep, that's wiley all over again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
Remember my Little Hoppergrass, specs do not matter, only dimensions matter.
Jansan

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6753
JBJ, you are such a joke.
This is not receivers and JBL's.
GMAFB.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us