Center & Front Speaker Matching

Username: Jerlobitz

Mandaue, Cebu Philippines

Post Number: 3
I'm replacing my low cost front floor standing speakers(Pure Acoustics Junior Model) with a new set of audiophile bookshelf speakers (Arum Cantus Model Leisure 2SE). The distributor of Arum Cantus recommended on replacing the center speaker with the same series of the bookshelfs in order to match. Due to budget constrain, I can not afford to buy the recommended center speaker but instead planned to purchase a low cost type that would match with the front speakers. The problem is I don't have the idea on how to match these speakers. Do any of your guys willing to share your experience & expertise on this matters? Thanks a lot for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2155
What's are you driving them with first of all..?

Post Number: 4
I'm using Denon DVD-1920 DVD/SACD Player & Denon AVR-2805 AV surround receiver for both stereo music and home theater.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2157
Hmm I wouldn't really be sure. I'd need to hear them...I don't know much about Arum Cantus...although the others should be waking up here sometime later.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6592
Jerome, the matching of the center to the mains is quite critical.
I would live with the stereo setup until able to purchase a well matched center.

Post Number: 5
I have just researched few articles & forums and found out that it is in deed critical to match the center to the main speakers. Matching them using different brands is quite tricky and so the best choice is to buy the same series of speakers.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2168
That's why I'm not getting a center until I get mains (speaking of which..)

Username: Ckh_nba

Post Number: 4
Hi Guys

I too need some advise on my combination:

Marantz SR8500 AVR
Infinity Beta C250 center speaker
Infinity Primus 360 front speakers

My question is that why is sound from center speaker inaudible when set at 0dB. It has to go up almost to the maximum at +7dB

I really think the amp has enough power to drive these speakers.

Would like any advise to tweak the setting to make it more respectable. Thank you in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1079
Charlie,

You'll usually do better starting your own thread rather than running in on another one.

But, there are much smarter people on here than me. First, I'd check my wiring. Then, I'd check to make certain your receiver is sending a signal to your center. Then, I'd change the crossover, which I suspect is what you're talking about with your OdB setting, to something between 40 and 80, depending upon whether you're using a subwoofer or not.

If none of those work, hook your center channel up to one of your left or rights to see if the speaker is producing sound. If it is, it's not the speaker and you may have blown a fuse in your center channel, or worse. If your center doesn't produce sound then, you got a problem with your center speaker.

If none of the above works, just pretend that there's sound coming from it and hope that your 360s have great stereo imaging. LOL Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 224
"I have just researched few articles & forums and found out that it is in deed critical to match the center to the main speakers. Matching them using different brands is quite tricky and so the best choice is to buy the same series of speakers."Jerome G. Lobitana

This may be good general advice. However, whether or not an exact match is "critical" depends very heavily on the equipment involved. Some "unmatched" components mesh very well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us