Yamaha HTR-5930 vs Onkyo TX-SR504

Username: Aam3

Post Number: 1
I need a good entry level receiver to start buiding a HT and also listen to music on. I found these available at CC & BB.

- Yamaha HTR-5930: $189
- Onkyo TX-SR504: $220

I would later buy speakers like POLk that sound warm.

Which one is better deal? and which one is better for music?

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 200
Neither- I would spend a little extra money and get an NAD. goto www.spearitsound.com
Look at the NAD 743 You'll be glad you did and it will run circles around the units you mentioned sound-wise. Trust me.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 201
here's the direct link to the unit. I have learned from some of the fellas here that their refurbed is as good as new. http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/t743.asp

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2151
Yes trust him...

Post Number: 2
Hmmm. You are most probably right but that that Naddy is for $479 and way out of my current budget. My purpose right now is to get somethng that will last me a couple of years and then I can upgrade.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 203
save your money and get the NAD-
Patience will pay off in spades. You'll end up spending more in the long-run going the other route.

Post Number: 3
You've got me curious now....how would I end up spending more money??

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 204
You're going to quick-fix not having an amp now by buying a crap product- them to buy something better later -thereby spending more money in the long run. Listen to the wisdom of someone who did exactly what you are tempted to do only to totally regret it later- thinking that I should have waited a little longer and gotten something that was really special for the money.
Learn from my experience, man. Now, save the extra money- don't eat out for a month or something and then bite the bullet and get the Nad 743 we talked about. It will floor you and sound great powering the Polks.
Also, stay away from CC and BB, unless you're looking to buy a tv, or something. You're in good hands here, -we're going to take care of you. Breath deep and promise you will stay away from Best Buy. Okay?

Post Number: 4
Believe me, I know where you're coming from. As a kid, my first system I built was a 3 head Kenwood deck, sansui amp and wharfedale speakers. Life changed after that era and now I want to get back. But for now, I HAVE to HAVE SOMETHING!!

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 207
wait for the NAD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us