Arcam Avr300 Vs. seperates?

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 21
I had a chance to hear this unit at a local dealer and it is impressive. It has gotten rave reviews and is viewed as one of the few a/v receivers that can rival the sound of going seperates. The dealer is selling this unit for $2000.00CDN($1725.00US). It normally retails for $2500.00CDN($2160.00US). Are their cheaper alternatives by going seperates that would be better than the Arcam AVR300? Lemme know your opinions or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 95
What kind of speakers do you have, Darren?

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 22
I'm using Monitor Audio RS1(Fronts), Monitor Audio RS LCR(Centre Channel), Angstrom Modular 4's(Surrounds) and Angstrom Modular 8's(subs).

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1987
Darren,

The AVR300 is being discontinued so bear this in mind when negotiating on price. It's an excellent unit and the only missing feature that may be of concern nowadays is the lack of HDMI switching. Sonically, it's difficult to beat.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Avnovice

Post Number: 9
Has anyone heard the AVR300 with B&W 6's?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6615
If the AVR350 is significantly more money, it may hold up the price of the older model.

I think better deals are to be had on this one,
Darren. That is the price of an older demo, not a discontinued, older demo.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6616
Have you looked at Canuckaudiomart.com?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2011
Wayne, if you mean the DM600 series, yes. I've heard it with 602.5s, 60 centre, 601s at the back. Also heard it with just 601s, 60 centre and 600s at the back. I'd argue the latter was the better solution since the 601s don't have the 602.5's flabby bass. In both cases I had a Velodyne sub in the system, IIRC. Seemed to work.

The 300 did a good job of driving the speakers and the combination was warm but fairly enjoyable. I have to say there are better solutions out there than the B&Ws which are getting a bit long in the tooth now. B&W themselves will be replacing this range in the not too distant future, and if it's half as good as the 600 series was when that was launched, it'll be good indeed.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 10
Yes,
Thanks Frank. I have the 603, DS6, and ASW 600 sub(about to get an XTC center). I also have a Denon AVR 2803 (recently started using the internal DACs thanks to Nuck) but want to plan for an upgrade. I've been searching thru the past discussions trying to narrow down some choices to focus on. So far, it looks like I need to listen to the Arcam 300 and Rotel 1067 w/ the 603's. Although I've owned a two channel NAD integrated amp for a long time with no problems, I've read a few too many issues for comfort w/ the newer AVR's. I'm also planning to listen to the Rotel 1075 with a plan to use the Denon as a preamp for a while and work on getting a replacement later. Although I've seen lots of positive reviews on the Arcam sound (with a few comments about somewhat limited power), I feel that the B&W's would like more current to sound more complete to me, so that points me toward the Rotel. I must drive 2 hrs to listen to any of these combinations, so I'm trying to get a short list. The B&Ws are relatively new (to me), so upgrading those is not on the table. Outlaw Audio also gets my attention - a little less current than the Rotel perhaps, but I've seen postive reviews on those also (with 4 ohm speakers). I know this is a receiver area, but the decision point becomes blurred. Am I missing any other possibilities within the same price range? Any suggestions will be appreciated...

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2017
One of the options that you can use which works very well is to biamp those 603s with the 2nd Zone amps in the AVR300. All the amps in the AVR300 are the same so you're not biamping with inferior amps, but you are doubling the power. I do this at a more elevated level with my P7 and Mani-2s, but the effect was a substantial improvement. It won't be as big an improvement in your case because my speakers are one of the most difficult loads in the business, but it will help control the 'over-enthusiastic' bass of the 603s. The Rotel presentation is a little stand-offish for my taste...

There is one other thing to bear in mind. If you have intentions of going HD in the form of either BluRay or HD-DVD, both these systems have uncompressed surround sound (Dolby Digital and DTS are compresed systems) which should be appreciably better than what one gets out of standard DVD. These uncompressed channels can only go down the HDMI interface. There are no receivers currently on the market that can take these signals and decode them. Therefore you would not be enjoying the full upgrade potential of the HD discs, and my understanding is that the TrueHD tracks make DD and DTS sound positively sick by comparison. Therefore, since you already have surround, you could simply wait until this shakes down and get something that supports the new formats via HDMI. Alternatively, ensure you get a receiver that can take multi-input and allow the HD player to decode those uncompressed channels and supply them in analgue form via a bunch of interconnects. It's your shout but that's everything to consider at this point in time.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
When you say "The Rotel presentation is a little stand-offish for my taste..." do you mean too bright (or forward) with the B&W's or something else?

OK, so now I'm doing the thing that any respectable person would do... I'm slipping toward looking at better upgrades. I figure that if I'm going to plan for an upgrade, I might as well give it a little more umph.

Still thinking about the Arcam AVR300.... good price with good reviews for the sound. I'm also thinking Rotel 1095 or Anthem MCA50 with the Denon as preamp for now. I should be able to hear significant differences with more current. Whether it's clearer bass, more spacious perception, etc... I don't know until I get to listen. So, do I go for the avr300 and biamp for now, with an addtional amp later and use the avr300 as a longer term pre- or get the bigger amp now and shop for preamp/processor downstream?
Not sure yet, but I'm looking forward to listening to all of the possibilites.

BTW, I've seen other posts describe the B&W as bright - that's not my thought (after having Klipsch for years). Are B&W generally considered on the bright side?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2047
I find the Rotel presentation a bit reserved. Itdoesn't take any risks so when you listen to some rock it doesn't let its hair down. The Arcam doesn't exactly go wild but it's a lot more engaging. Whether you're listening to music or watching a movie this aspect is important.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us