Output Level?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2058
I have a question about output levels and speakers.

Say you have 1 watt of amplifier power at 8-ohms. Now you take 1000 8-ohm 114dB efficiency tweeters and hook them up as an 8-ohm load to the amplifier. If you were to drive all these tweeters with only 1-watt total or 1 milli-watt sine wave to each tweeter how loud would it be compared to 1 tweeter getting all the power at 1w?

What would the difference be with the same power? I'd think that the 1000 tweeters could get way louder than the 1 tweeter with the same total power. Am I correct?

Thanks for shedding light on this (with a link or explanation or whatever).

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2063
The reason I ask is I want to hook two Bose speakers to the same channel on my Scott OR to the SB channel on my Yammy. I think they should go on the Scott in Series, not Parallel so I don't overtax the 30-year-old power supply.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10102

Connecting speaker motors together will feed all of the available energy into the first voice coil with each following motor receiving less and less power as wattage is absorbed by each preceding motor assembly. Each driver therefore has less power available to it and theefore lower acoustic output. Very quickly there is no more power to go around. You can't do it, Andre.

Place "70 volt distribution system"
into a search engine to get an idea how this might work. But you really have to get real in your assumptions, Andre. One thousand drivers?!!!!! How about ten?

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2084
Thanks for the clarification Jan.

I'm going to try hooking up the Bose in series and see how that goes.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2087
It went great. Much improved surround field. much fuller. Beats one Bose on the amplifier for sure. Much larger soundfield.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us