Paradigm?

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 40
does paradigm use pure titanium tweets for all of their floor and bookshelf.. and does that make alot of difference in sound... compared to aluminum...

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 170
I personally do not think it does. Overall speaker build and components used will have more of an affect than aluminum vs titaniun vs. silk
IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 448
"does paradigm use pure titanium tweets for all of their floor and bookshelf.. "
No.

"and does that make alot of difference in sound... compared to aluminum..."
I wouldn't pick one speaker over another just because one used a titanium dome versus an aluminum dome. There is a lot more to a tweeter than the dome material. However, in terms of strength versus weight, titanium is superior. Don't know about ringing though.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

CA USA

Post Number: 450
You could always do what the rest of us do & surf over to the Paradigm website & see what they use in the different speaker series. IIRC it depends on what series you are looking at as to what materials are used.

Silver Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 103
I was told that the tweeters and midrange drivers from the Signature series are now in the Reference studio series 4's making them one of the best buys on the market right now.....I think the Studio 60 s4's is their best sounding speaker better than the studio 100 s4's!

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
You know I really like the Paradigm line. I am breaking-in a pair of Era Design 5's and have them wired out of phase blasting away in the basement, so I put back my Paradigm Titans V.4's on the stands to listen in during the break-in and am once again understanding why the Titan is such a great entry-level speaker for the money. I was thinking of throwing these up on Audiogon for $150.00, but after hearing them again I may keep them for a bedroom system.
Anyway, if you're in the market for speakers, I really dont think you can wrong with Paradigms. I agree that their Studio line is AMAZING for the money, Paradigm really seems to provide a lot of great sounding speakers comensurate to the price. Before I got the Era's, I had bought the Studio 20's- loved the sound, hated the fake vinyl finish. Returned them for the Era's. Kinda wished I would have kept the Studios and put them up on a shelf where I wouldnt have been bothered by the sight of the laminate. I got them for $500 new, which was a steal. Oh well...
You really cant go wrong choosing Paradigm -especially the Reference Signature stuff. The v.4 Studio's have the same tweeter, yes and if you dont mind the finish, you're getting a lot the same technology for a lot less money.

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 53
Partially correct.
The tweeter for the Studio v4's is from the signature line, but the crossover is completely different. It is not the same design or sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 90
uback...thats most intresting on your comments about the studio 20 if guess your talking about the v3?? Thats kinda odd that such a nice sounding speaker oh that cost under 1000 isn't real wood veneer. I guess looks do matter. Just wondering in your observations or anyones how do those 2 speakers compare the studio 20 and the era design 5 soundstage, imaging, low end extention?? mainly for music...

Silver Member

CA USA

Post Number: 452
Now isn't the point of speakers to listen to, not to look at? Shrug. I love my 20's--mainly for their sound. The fake wood covering doesn't bother me at all, it's well done & to me doesn't scream "hey look at me, I'm plastic!"...anyway once they get into their final home only the fronts will be visible anyway.

Honestly, I'd rather put the money into the components inside than expensive wood veneer outside--just so long as they look presentable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
I agree. However, the cherry laminate looks terrible imo. I have the Rosenut laminate on the Titans and it looks a ton better and more natural than the cherry. As far as sound between the Studio 20's and Era 5's: The night I brought back the 20's they played me the Era's and then we did an A-B comparison. The Era's imo sounded a lot more refined, with better speed and transients. I heard more of the music with Era's than with the 20's Don't get me wrong, the 20's are a great speaker. They just didnt compare to the Era's. We then compared the Era's to a set B&W 704's and Totem Mani 2's and I was blown away on how they ran pretty neck n' neck to those much more expensive speakers. At $750, you can't go wrong for the Era's - just make sure you break them in for at least 100 hours before any crucial judgement.

Silver Member

CA USA

Post Number: 453
That could be the difference--mine are the rosenut & the ones I auditioned were black.

Sounds like I might just have to find a place to audition some Eras if they compare that well to the Studio 20's. I did audition some comparable B&Ws (IIRC 601's or 705's--it was a while ago) & I prefer the Paradigms.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4415
It's a matter of preference Chris. The Era's are a refined speaker both in looks and sound but I don't think it's better than the 20's just different. If you have a very refined (read expensive) amp the Era's will probably take you just a hair closer to the high high but not much. As the amps get closer to midfi the 20's will close the gap and at some point outperform the Era's. Just one man's opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6515
Great accurate description, Art,

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Art,

You hit the nail on the head. Thats what I would say exactly about Paradigm/Era's they are both very good speakers, but different.
Like I said, if the Studio 20's v.3 were in the Rosenut, they would still be playing music as I write this. The cherry looked cheap and when I walked down the stairs in my home, the first thing that would catch my eye was the side of the speaker and that ridiculous looking laminate staring at me, beckoning, "get rid of me!" I know, call me vain. I can always get another pair if the need arises.
Great speakers though...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4419
I can relate UB. It really is part of why I no longer have my Cherry 20's.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2079
Haha good morning

Gold Member

Post Number: 6532
If somebody owns Ascend and claims that 'looks don't matter', then the speakers are on milk crates.
It matters what sits in my home.
And my stereo matters. It's my hobby. I ain't got a bike, no hotrod right now, so it's the stereo.
Make it nice.

Silver Member

CA USA

Post Number: 454
Thanks for the info Art. Being that my 20's are driven from a Marantz SR5400, I'd say I'm at midfi compared to some of the stuff you guys talk about, so it's probably not a big deal. I'm really just paying attention to this stuff again since I recently (finally) moved from an apartment to a house. That means I get to finish the 5.1 speaker package, set things up how I want, and perhaps look at a second-zone setup to pipe music through the house.

stereo--check, hotrod--check, photo addiction--check, house--check, cash--ummmmm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6540
Chris, hang tight and work your @ss off.
For like 30 years.
And treat the lady right.
You cannot lose.
Did I mention that y'all ain't gonna have an @ss left in 30 yrs?

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 89
Looks to me like you have things in order, Chris.

What's the problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
You want to hear those 20's at the full potential-pair them with some separates.
I just talked to my dealer about the Era's and he said that I could trade up to the floorstanders as soon as they come out in June for the full price I paid. Sweet deal.
I love this hobby!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6547
Dr. NucStryvn is on the case.
Calling DR. NucStryvn...

The Polish guy, eh?

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 54
How would you guys compare the Focal 806v/807v to the Paradigm Studio 20v4's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Uback....been here for over a year, 187 posts and no profile? What gives, Dude?

Paradigm and Rotel separates...what's not to like?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2088
Yeah Paradigm+Rotel is great

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1665
stryvn - you still working on the CD player?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
I have not picked it up yet. I'm close. I'm VERY anxious to hear a real deck.

The money is laundered, so to speak.

I suspect all the married audio guys do the "as long as it's black..." thing. Problem is I'll be going from a crappy old black 6 disc'er to a silver single job. This should be good. We'll see who's paying attention to what.

Silver Member

Columbus , Ohio USA

Post Number: 192
Focal 806/807v versus Paradigm Studio 20's?
My vote would be the Paradigms. I found the Focals to be a little on the boxy side (the speaker cabinet resonates and creates a tone that imo, colors the sound slightly)

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 97
interesting focal color?? kinda warm or kinda bright??? Since the era are prob out for me i'm looking at those same focals or the 20's. I'm enjoy my mini's just hooked them up today my first set of paradigms. I havent even broken them in yet and enjoying their sound. How do you guys think they would compare with lets say the nht classic 3??? oh i'm using a hk3380

Username: Sammason

Carlisle, Cumbria Uk

Post Number: 1
Does any body know where I can get some tweeters for my paradigm monitor 9 150watt max 8 ohm I live in the UK so getting paradigm parts is difficult? Any suggestions I can alter cabinets no probs eg mage bigger or reduce holes. Not bothered about appearance just want them to sound good again. any suggestions welcome?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us