Sonodyne or Wharfedale?? please help!

Username: Sayanexe

KolkataIndia

Post Number: 1
hi guys.. im new to this forum and kinda new to hifi also. i am lookin to buy a stereo setup.
will get the sonodyne sia102R stereo amplifier (80w rms at 8 ohms and 100w rms at 4ohms)
what i am confused about are the speakers.
should i go for the
1. sonodyne sonus 1601(floorstanders 2 way) or
2. wharfedale diamond 8.2 or
3. wharfedale diamond 9.1
cannot try the amplifier with the wharfedales because dealers are different.
oh i also want to pair up the speakers with a sonodyne 8inch sub 'roarr 1815'.
your suggestions would really help me out. thanks!!

}

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 151
Sayan, not many people on the forum have experience with Sonodyne. I've heard only the satellite speakers myself. Strangely, they were using drivers made in USA! The Wharfedales are familiar and I have the 8.3s. They are good speakers and excellent value. I'm not sure about the prices at Kolkata. Be sure to use a good source with them though. Sonodyne has locations at which you can audition, at least in Mumbai. Not sure about Kolkata. Maybe you could find out from the website. If you are going to place the speakers in a small room, I would recommend the Wharfedales. You can probably get by without a subwoofer. For larger rooms, the floorstanders will be appropriate.

KolkataIndia

Post Number: 2
thanks for the reply srinivas.. so ur suggesting wharfedale, and if i go for the 8.4 then i wnt be needing a sub rite?? im going to audition the 8.4 nxt week. actualy here in kolkata its very difficult to find decent hifi products. my room size is about 225 sq feet.
its very difficult to find a low price amplifier here, the NAD 320BEE costs about $525 here. thats why going for the sonodyne for about $280. thnks alot for ur reply.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
The NAD320BEE is good with Wharfedales. Though, I have not heard the Sonodyne. When you listen to the 8.4s, make sure you take your favorite music with you. Get the speakers only if you are satisfied with the way they present your music. The 8.4s extend lower than 8.3s and you should be fine without a sub. If possible, listen to them with both amplifiers (Sonodyne and NAD).

Bronze Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 32
hey srinivas, there's a wharfedle retail outlet just a couple of blocks from where i live and the sales rep happens to be a good friend of mine.
man, i heard those they suck(no offence though)
he was driving them with a nad integrated amp 150watts(not sure which model though) and they sound awful, i even heard them through denon pma-2000ive(80wtts) and they sounded the same.. flat, lacked bass just terrible..
on the other hand i heard the def.. (not sure again abt the model, either the bp8 or 10..)
man they sounded amazing through both amps, especially nad...

KolkataIndia

Post Number: 3
ok so kinda mixed response here. thanks for your views shane.. ill chk out those speakers myself pretty soon. but dnt u think $525 is too much for the NAD C320BEE??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
yeah, but if u can afford them at appro 21000rs,
its not bad.. let me tell u nad in general their receivers, preamps, integrated amps are stupendous man, check out master series m5, superb masterpiece.. but ultimately it boils down to what sounds good to ya in terms of price, and offcourse quality of sound..

KolkataIndia

Post Number: 4
ya its about 23000rs here.. so its kinda beyond my budget. what about cambridge audio azur 340A?? is it going to be enough for my 225sq feet room? and is the yamaha ax 397 a good amp? cause its affordable..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I am not sure abt cambridge but i can tell u abt the yama ax-397, i heard it at the store and it sounds flawless.. detailed, punchy, highs-lows good... also the ax-497 is fab..
the only thing is they may sound different with other diverse spks.. i heard thr bowers/wilkins
604.. truly amaz..
yamaha also is known for making good sounding amps.. also denon in the same bracket or even better, they picked up a couple of awards on many occasions..
in my opinion will be a good choice(397).. 497 even better... (keeping checkin yamaha reviews and feedback) from other sources...
eventually- u r ur own jugge... cheers...

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Shane, the DefTechs and Wharfedales are quite different. It would help if you specify the kind of music DefTechs are good with. What did you listen to and for how long? If the OP has taste in music that matches yours, he might be interested in the DefTechs. I'm not a fan of DefTechs and with that money, I'd be looking at other speakers such as Paradigm. If he's looking at the 320BEE and Azur340A, I wouldn't suggest low end Yamaha receivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
srinivas, the deftechs are good with rock(hard) or general rock, trance, drum & bass, and honestly the techs are not that expensive... oh, i hear them pratically every week, coz i got a friend workin at a retail store,, so, i listen to them for abt half-an-hour or so sometimes goes up to an hour.. I listen to country, pop, r&b now and then.. on them def...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us