A classic goes by the wayside...

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 448
Cambridge Soundworks has decided to no longer manufacture the Model 6 speaker. This was a 2 way acoustic suspension standmount model designed by Henry Kloss himself, large enough to provide decent bass response, play loud enough to fill medium sized rooms, and was VERY affordable.

Before the current closeout, it was priced at $150 per pair, now is priced at $100 per pair. Cambridge Soundworks aparrently is going the route of home theater sound reinforcement like so many other companies (although I DO like the one subwoofer I have heard).

These speakers were famtastic for the price; warm, rich, and clean with nice bass response. Lets see... a decent pair of speakers from a respectable company or a pair of mass market "do everything electronics" company.....

that is a no-brainer...

too bad.... a classic is now dead :-(

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 437
The Model Six was a nice starter system. I know, I started on it!

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 458
Awww dont worry boys , theres allways used sets on ebay;)

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 459
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cambridge-Soundworks-Model-6-Henry-Kloss-Speakers_W0QQitemZ3 20092488182QQcategoryZ14993QQcmdZViewItem

Check that out

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1545
Or theirs always XL-S's more accurate tighter bass,better built real wood veneer for $219,dont worry the Model 6 is a classic and they had a very long run, you will always be able to find them.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 439
Ohh I'm not saying I miss the Model Six; I own far better speakers then when I first started my journey into hi-fi. As far as the XL-S and Model Six though, they are for different markets. The Model Six, depending on placement, etc, could hit 40Hz easily enough with usable output into the thirties. Given that you could easily obtain this for 150 bucks or so, that made it a great entry level system for a music buff. The XL-S can potentially be used without a subwoofer, but I doubt many would want to. I would certainly expect it to be qualitatively superior though. The Model Six certainly had its deficiencies, especially in the areas of imaging/soundstaging. But for background music, a second system, or a novice, the Model Six was great stuff. The fact that it lasted so long is a testament to the design.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1547
I use my XL-S without a sub,the port is tuned to 43htz,so they play quite low for a monitor,so im getting around 40 to 38 htz in room.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 441
Well, perhaps thats one reason they axed the Model Six then. The Model Six would still have deeper usable response by virtue of its acoustic suspension design though (less roll off).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us