Bob Carver is the man

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobuff

Post Number: 53
I just picked up a M-400 and a C-4000 Pre-Amp. I recently upgraded my system with a HK-3480 and i thought THAT made my speakers come alive sheesh. I just got home and hooked up the Carver and i am floored, im pretty ashamed to have it powering my sony floorstanders ...i need better speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 449
I heard a carver , didnt sound bad but to me wasnt my kind. Sounds too warm and had a different kind of bass. I perfer the sound of a Bryston

Had both amps on a vifa 12" woofer custom box (sealed)

THe bryston had a more agresive bass, where as the Carver was some what softer didnt b*tch slap the woofer as hard.

But good find though ,its is some quality gear

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1839
I used to have Carver gear. Sold it when I decided foolishly to buy a sailboat and sail the Caribbean. Carver 10, boat 2. No contest! (grin)

My latest Carver was a Sunfire receiver - hooked up to Kef speakers. Never since have I heard such glorious sound!

Now, I run a NAD 763 - no slouch, but no Carver, either! Thinking about another Carver to run my B&W 705s. Dreamin' . . . . .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Does anyone know a sub $600 set of floorstanders that would compliment the C-400?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 452
Depends on what your looking for man. LIke it you like a wide sound with good highs and bass you may wanna check out klipsch. If you like smooth sounding speakers try paradigm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
What about the Athena F2.2's?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 453
To me personaly I love those speakers =)

I gotta get me a pair:D

anyways you should go hear them first of all and if you like them take em home try them out 30-day money back

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Kyle, i was going to order them from Audio Advisor, do they have a 30-day in home trial?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Another thing i need, Im new to crossovers, i need you guys to list the nicest active cross-overs you know of.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 46
I ran the 't' mod M400 for at least 20 years into now antique Magnapans. Always clean/clear and would play as loud as I could stand. Only trouble is that you need stiff mains for power. I could make my house lights blink in time with the music!
If you have inefficient speakers or like it loud check out what I said.
I am getting my old m400t fixed and intend to use it as a sub amp. The bridged rating of 500@8 is too good to pass up.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 460
I'm not sure if they let you?, but there really nice speakers.

My Dad has some Audiocontrol crossovers and I think they work fine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Leo, i thought that the 500 @ 8 ohms was pretty insane.

Thanks for the help kyle, once i get the money i think those are what im going to go for. Either that or i might go for some party speakers such as a set of Cerwin Vegas.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 462
Hey man no problem man

Username: Pkmaven

Boynton Beach, FL United States

Post Number: 4
Buy your amplifier and keep it. A Carver Sunfire amplifier is very different from his older amps. It has the abilty to drive just about any speaker. I have a friend who drives large Martin Logan Electrostatics efforlessly and deliciously with this amazing amplifier. Any high end, dual mono power amp will bring out the best in any speaker. Bryston is a huge value line with a 25 year warranty. A 4B produce clarity that is hard to part with after experiencing it. Your speaker consideration will have much to do with the amp you select. Cerwin-Vega! speakers are VERY efficient. I was the factory rep for several years and I demonstrated the largest boxes while playing them from the earphone jack of a walkman.
If you have only moderate watts per channel, you will be able to pund with large Cerwin Vega speakers. You won't need to b-amp with a crossover. P.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 476
Yea Bryston amp's are pigs

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6642
Most Bryston amps are a bit coarse.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 478
Nuck what do you mean?

Bronze Member
Username: Pkmaven

Boynton Beach, FL United States

Post Number: 25
I worked at a high volume audio store next to an Ivy league university. We sold Bryston and I had the opportunity to do many hours of listening. One particular match between a 4B and a pair of Paradigm Reference towers was excellent. People were amazed by the clarity and controlled bass. While stating that any amplifier sounds harsh, or otherwise, is, of course, subjective. Many of us have not had the luxury of listening to a certain pair of speakers with several different amplifiers. There is definitly a difference one can hear.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6959
absolutely.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us