Need Help Evaluating and Deciding on a Final 2.1 Setup

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 143
Receiver: Harman Kardon HK3480
DVD Player: Oppo 981
Speakers: pair of Wharfedale 9.2's
Sub: HSU STF-1

Do you guys think this will sound good? It's a small room...a college dorm room. I only want 2 channels right now. maybe 10 years down the road ill go with a surround system.

would you suggest anything different? is there anything you'd change about the setup...whether its the sub or the speaks or whatever...anything you'd change? ps im on a budget...

total price is about $780.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
bump for suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4334
What's with the bump crap...

It seems like a nice budget setup. CD's won't sound very good with the Oppo..but other than that it seems workable.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1625
"What's with the bump crap..."

Waiting 2 hours for a response was entirely too long.

I believe I read that the Oppo player was actually pretty good at music, and video was its weakness. Not that the video output was bad at all, according to the reviewer.

But then again, I've read very, very few negaitve reviews of any equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 146
From all the online reading, these components seem to be the best value around. Make sure the speakers play your kind of music well though. Owners of 9.2s can tell you what music plays well through them. I could tell you the 8.3s are not so good with electronic music but excellent with vocals.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1626
Even more important, well to me anyways, is how well they play together.

Synergy anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4337
Actually have a friend who sells Oppo at his store and the video performs very well...beats his NAD DVD players but the audio isn't as good as the NAD DVD players and let's face it, if the audio isn't as good as any DVD player that ain't good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
sry i was a bit anxious to get the order in tonight. thanks for the input, i appreciate it. im going to wait a bit on the dvd player to confirm that's the right one for me, but ill get everything else right now. thanks for the help.

Username: Golden_ear

Post Number: 2
I bought the new Yamaha HS50M active studio monitors to mix my music. Man these are better than any Hi-Fi speakers I have ever used. They are designed by the legendary designer Akira Nakamura, the man behind the legendary NS1000M and NS10M monitors used in recording studios worldwide. This year Yamaha HS series was awarded a Technical GRAMMY along with NS10M monitors. The price for a pair is around $400 but these are bi-amped active monitors so you won't need a power amp(and speaker cables). You can feed them directly from the outputs of your CD player and they will sound very dynamic and transparent with deep accurate bass and smooth silky treble. If you get a pre-amp they will sound more agile. I'm listening to jazz on them, they sound like $5000 pair electrostatic speakers, they are that good. Yamaha also makes matching powered subwofers for HS50Ms and I am thinking about adding 2 subwofers(one for each channel).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us