Paradigm v5

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 69
Can anyone comment on the new Paradigm Monitors such as the 7's? How would you compare to makes like polk rti series, infinity, klipsch etc.?

Bronze Member
Username: Look4sun

Post Number: 88
I think currently the only Monitor line being reviewed is the Paradigm Monitor Atom v5. Others still not.

Sorry I forgot the url link.

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 182
I gave a hefty audition to the Monitor 7 V5, with my mix of digital, analog, piano, male voice, rock, symphony, chamber recordings, etc. As an audio veteran I can't recommend that particular speaker. While opinions and brand loyalty differ, I found the bass QUITE WEAK - with a somewhat smaller interior cabinet volume, 5.5 inch woofers, and a cabinet that is sturdy, but not rock solid. The midrange was FAIR and no better, upper midrange and high frequencies lacked air and presence. I don't want to be overly harsh for a $600 speaker, but I suggest an audition. Strangely, the Monitor 9 V5 totally impressed me.

Bronze Member
Username: T2t

Post Number: 21
I had the Titan Monitor v.5 speakers for a few days. They are completely different from the current Titans. They are slightly more efficient than the previous v.4 performance and monitor line.

However, in the end, I opted for a new Pair of v.4 Monitor 5 speakers.

I've also posted several pictures in the Paradigm thread over at the AVSForum of the new Titan Monitor v.5 speaker components and construction.

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 84
While auditioning Paradigm back in January I listened to the 7's, 9's and 11's. The 7's sounded flat to me. The 9's sounded very good and the 11's were very disappointing. They too, sounded very flat. These were MY observations.

I then listened to the Studio 20's. A HUGE step up from the Monitors. I wanted a floor stander so I ended up with the Studio 60's. I am VERY happy with them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
STRYVN - were you auditioning the new V5 Monitor or the earlier line?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Chico, the 11's I listened to were new. The 7's and 9's were old model.

The 7's & 9's were hooked up to Marantz receiver. The 11's had adcom amp.

Let it also be said that I am no pro with this stuff. But, I have been listening to music as long as I've been breathing and I know what I like.

This says nothing about what Tommy might like. And the jump in price from the 7's to the Studio 60's is like comparing apples to aircraft carriers (?)

I would like to hear the new Monitors. Like I said, the 9's sounded good to me.

Besides, I don't think Tommy wants me running his "new speaker" project....I went in looking to upgrade speakers and ended up with new speakers, amp/pre amp, tuner and cd player is on the way. Blew through the budget and past the contingency.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 485
Stryvn,

The Monitor 7 (old) was my favorite floorstander in the monitor lineup. The bass was rich and full sounding, and had very good midrange performance. The highs were also quite good as well. They imaged well, and had decent depth to the sound.

The issue with them was that you could hear some cabinet coloration.

IMHO, the older monitor 9 was a terrible speaker, muddy and boomy. My dealer agreed with me on this assessment, as well as 2 others.

That surprises me that you thought the 7 was flat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Gavin- I auditioned the speakers at 2 different shops and may have my info/stores mixed up in my overloaded hard drive. I probably should get my shite together if I am going to throw in my two cents here. I AM going to go back to one of the stores tomorrow and verify my position. I will state that one of the auditioned models (be it the 7 or 9) was extremely disappointing for me.

Now that I think about it....the one I liked retailed for around $650

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 486
The Monitor 7 retailed for around $650-$700 of I remember right.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmitchell

Post Number: 22
Yes, I got my Monitor 7 v4 for 700 incl taxes.

Bronze Member
Username: Sigsegv0x0b

Post Number: 24
T2T can u give links to the pics of Titan V.5 on avs forum?

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Well I went back and re-auditioned the V5 Monitor 7 and my opinion has not changed. I then re-listened to the Monitor 9 and my opinion did not change. But I PURCHASED the Triangle Heliade instead. When they are delivered this week I'll post up pix and an additional review.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 696
looks like Paradigm has corrected the issue with the 9, and added an issue to the 7.

Oh well... but that really blows. The Monitor 7 v.4 was one of my favorite floorstanders in the $700 price range.

Username: Audioearz1

TinyVille , NB Canada

Post Number: 5
just for argument sake... I have a pair of Paradigm Atoms (4 years old) a 12" woofie and what the speakers can't produce in the low end, The woofie makes up for it! Actually, come to think about it, The speakers bass signal produced by the amp is mostly directed to the woofie instead of the bass speaker(s) in the atoms.
The neat thing about using a subwoofer with these, as well as any other speaker that size exsp., is that the bass is emphasized and makes the speakers' lows sound Great!

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 699
even though most of us in here do not want emphasized bass... :-P

Evidence that the majority of people do not know how to intergrate a subwoofer properly, and prefer excess bass.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 124
I do concur with that later statement. personally i have my monitor3's(v5) for a few months and i found the bass in them quite adequate an clean at reasonable volumes... but along comes the wife and she unknown to me turns out to be a bass feign. lol I'm trying to avoid getting a sub since i dont listen to movies really mainly music. So i'm keenly considering either the era d4 or d5 for my second pair of bookshelves.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us