Why did Bose discontinue 601's and 701's?

Username: Shane24

Post Number: 1
hey all, I planning to buy a pair of floor standing speakers budget around 1500$, i have checked out infinity beta 50 and Jbl studio L series L890, I have an integrated amplifier onkyo(9775model)150watts per channel, I will use the speakers for music purpose only not surround.
I am no audiophile, could anyone suggest or advise which of these are a better buy.. I listen to a lot of rock and r&b, looking for speaker with good bass?

Username: Jps1010

Post Number: 9
Try Def Techs BP7004

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powertower/powertower.html

They may not be as good as some of the other speakers mentioned here but for people that are not audiophiles they are worth a listen. In addition they each have a built in sub woofer which should satisfy your bass needs.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1401
" for people that are not audiophiles they are worth a listen"

isn't that an oxymoron?

Username: Jps1010

Post Number: 10
"isn't that an oxymoron"?

In other words if you are merely looking for a speaker that sounds good and are not concerned with specifics, its worth a listen. I dont see a contradiction in that.

Even if it is, who gives a sh*t.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13461
Definitive Technology speakers have a great following. Excellent speakers, just not my cup of tea.

Shane take a look also at Paradigm or B&W speakers. I believe that they sound much better than the Infinity and JBL.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 435
Ah, Berny, I knew you had good taste.

The Paradigms and B&W sound FAR better than Infinity or JBL--at least to my ears. I personally found the Paradigms to have better sound than the B&W (the more "laid back" sound that is often quoted--go listen to both & you will understand).

I've also read around here the Dynaudio and JMLab are worth a listen against the Paradigms--similar sound and similar price range. I wasn't able to arrange an audition with those so cannot comment beyond that.

I ended up saving & springing for the Paradigm Studio 20s--and have loved them. Now that I'm not in an apartment & can really uncork them, I'm even more amazed.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6371
Chris, which 20's, v3 or 4?
And which stands do you have them on?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6372
And Chris, would you fill in a profile?

Nuck

Username: Shane24

Post Number: 2
How would one rate the following speakers in general(not specs).(best sounding speakers)in order of preference.
1.dynaudio
2.sonus faber
3.B&W
4.Krell
5.Martin Logan
6.Focal Jmlab
7.Paradigm
8.Kplisch
9.Bose
10.JBL and lastly
11.Definitive Technology.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13471
Whose preference? Yours is the only one that matters.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 76
Hey what about NHT they do make some nice speakers..... and PSB

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 442
PSB and Nad have some short of speaker deal going on

"And yet, designing loudspeakers is no trivial undertaking. Expertise in the design of electronics, which NAD possesses in spades, is no guarantee of similar achievement in the speaker world. Fortunately, we have a vital edge, possibly even an unfair advantage: Our sister-company is PSB Speakers, the world-renowned Canadian firm founded and guided by musician and speaker-designer extraordinaire Paul Barton. So instead of beginning from loudspeaker-design square one, we enjoyed the enormous advantage of being able to start with the universally praised PSB designs and a three decade heritage of accuracy and musicality, as our starting point."

Link

http://nadelectronics.com/NAD-Speakers

Gold Member

Post Number: 6436
I have owned and listened to a lot of Psb's.
They are largely difficut and underrewarding.
Unless you strap on a Classe kit.

But then... when you put a Ferrari engine into anything...

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1419
lol

I would like to have a pair of Dynaudio focus 220's for my next pair. Birdseye maple finish...ohhhh they look so good too.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 444
"Chris, which 20's, v3 or 4?
And which stands do you have them on?"

v3 & right now on paper boxes. Yep, very ghetto. My excuse is the recent move which a) means the old stands won't work in the current location, and b) it's all getting moved & redone again in the near future anyway.

Profile? Oh, ok. Have to remember what the stuff is...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us