Sub-$300 ...best 2 channel receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 115
I'm looking for a 2-channel receiver for 300 bucks or less that will provide AT LEAST 90 watts per channel. i have one in my head that will probably fit the bill perfectly but i want to see what everyone else has to say before i open my mouth. maybe you guys will have better ideas than me. this receiver will be matched to wharfedale 9.2 speakers so plz keep this in mind in case matching speakers matters. i mainly listen to classic rock, country, and rap. thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4301
Harman Kardon HK3380, a robust 80 watts. I know no better under 300.00.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10004

http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?miscrcvr&1&ctg&st1

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
im looking to buy brand new.......art the one in my head was the 3480 actually...and brand new from authorized dealer for $230 shipped :-)

would that much up well with the 9.2's?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10007

What?! You can pass up a $55 Sherwood 7100A?!!!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1178231445

Oh, well.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10012

Just in case you change your mimd. It has pretty blue lights!

http://members.aol.com/KDresch/s-7100a.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
lol i had no clue what the stuff was on that page...that's why i was asking for choices on specific receivers. tell me a lil bit about the sherwood...i've never heard of it before...

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
lol ok just looked at the second link....the thing is 30 years old....and is rated at 17 watts per channel ...i said i needed AT LEAST 90 lol....i dono how that one fits the bill unless you're the seller and you just wanna plug.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
should i just get the 3480 and be done with it?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10014

No, I'm not selling anything. And I should have mentioned "current", in any sense of the word, and a Sherwood 7100A have never been used in the same sentence. Sherwood is an old audio company dating back to the Golden age of audio with names like McIntosh, Scott and Fisher. The 7100A was not a classic as some other Sherwood pieces became. I sold this receiver line when the 7100A was new and mated with some unassuming speakers it made good sound. Not great but quite acceptable for what it was. It would definitely be considered vintage sound by today's standards. Warm and a bit slow in the bass. Very 1970's British! But not many of today's receivers have good sound either. Lots of features, not good sound. Actually, I mentioned the Sherwood merely out of a remembrance of its deep blue face plate lamps. And the price. $29-55 makes it worth having just for a spare. You should, however, do a Google on "Sherwood". They are still among the high end manufacturers for HT receivers. Low profile and relatively unknown, they build some really great stuff.

So, what makes you think you need at least 90 watts? And do you really need a tuner? How about an integrated amplifier instead?

Bronze Member
Username: T2t

Post Number: 20
Do you plan on integrating a subwoofer at some point? If so, you might want to just get a 5.1/7.1 receiver instead and just use the channels you need. In my travels, I've found stereo receivers that have sub pre-outs, but integrating them can be tough. Sure, it's not bad if your route the speaker cables through the sub and use the crossover on the sub, but my SVS sub didn't have a built-in crossover, so I was SOL.

I believe about the only stereo receiver to have an adjustable crossover built-in is the classic model from Outlaw. Most of others just have the sub pre-out connector. Plus, older home theater receivers are in more abundant supply so it's pretty easy to get a nice price on something that was pretty price just a few years back.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 75
Good point if your dont need a tuner i'd firmly reccomend the nad c320 or its upgrade same specs should fit your budget nicely. I just bought the 3380 off amazon 197 with shipping. yes i needed a tuner but if you dont better yet. I would reccomend the 3380 not sure your going to notice the extra 40w lol but you will like the extra 33 bucks

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
by not needing a tuner do you mean a radio? i would like to have a radio..at some point sub is a possibility, but i wont be setting up as a full system for a good 10 years or so til i get through college and med school...so just 2 channel right now....adding the 40 extra watts would increase volume 25% wouldnt it? also...the speakers take 100 watts...i'd rather have a little too much going to them and use the volume knob to the best of my abilities than not have enough going to them....

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10017

The additional watts don't automatically translate into a percentage of volume potential. It's the quality of the power supply and the speaker load that will determine whether you hear any significant difference between two amps rated at the same wattage. The higher wattage amplifier, all things being equal, which they never are, will have more dynamic headroom into the same speaker load. Probably. There are too many cases of a lower powered amp sounding cleaner and more dynamic on a given speaker due to the ability of the power supply to handle difficult loads and deliver "peak power". All of this only matters if you are constantly banging the maximum out of the amplifier in the first place. Rather than think about a percentage of volume increase, the better way to consider the potential results is to figure an increase of 3dB when you double the wattage, all things being equal - which they never are. That small amount of increase on the dynamic peaks, which is the important part to remember unless you listen to steady state sine waves, is barely noticeable. If you are pushing the amp to the point where you are testing its peak power, you're probably clipping the amp anyway. Don't ever buy an amplifier based on its on paper specifications.

If you want a tuner and you want to buy a new receiver, then the HK is a good deal. Or buy an integrated amp and get that $29 Sherwood with the blue lamps to use as a tuner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
hk it is then. thank you for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6392
Good purchase, MC.
Not to short JV's great post, but if you can carry it out
of he store in one hand?

It sucks.

Even if you are Shaq