Seeking replacement intercom speaker

Username: Jimtmcdaniels

Colorado springs, Colorado Usa

Post Number: 1
Can anyone help with this situation:
I have a nutone home intercom system and one of the speakers voice coil has gone out.
I can't find a replacement speaker, and they want too much $$ for the whole unit that contains the speaker.

I can't find a new speaker, it's a little 3 1/2", 16 ohm speaker. Noone carries 16 ohm..
Is there somewhere I can order one of these?
Can I order a 4 ohm and add a resister in line to one of the connections to make it 16 ohm resistance??
More of these units are probably gonna go out over the years, hopefully I can find an affordable replacement speaker.
Thanks for any help!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6330
Yes, James, you can add a resistor. But this might create such a load thet the power supply cannot output against it.

Are new intercoms expensive? Never looked...

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13427
You can also try parts express.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9999

If they're all going to go out, you might as well get a new system. Sometimes it's best to suck it up and buy the original equipment rather than jerry-rigging something. Do you know whether the intercom has a 25 volt transformer output? If so, you'll probably end up buying from Nutone.

Have you tried an internet search for 16 Ohm intercom speakers?

Buy two eight Ohm speakers and connect them in series.

Username: Rpinell

Richardson, TX US

Post Number: 1
James, hopefully I'm not to late. But you may want to talk with two companies that specialize in intercom repair. They have years of experience on repairing Nutone and M&S for many years. They may have the parts your looking for and they are www.allelectronicsrepair.com or www.skelectronics.com. If you have further questions I'll be glad to help. I can be reached at 877-435-0670 or go to www.intrasonictechnology.com .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us