Which CD player to buy?

Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 7
I currently have a Denon DCM-340 player that is pretty old and want to upgrade. My receiver is an Onkyo SR-701 and my speakers are Angstrom 2, 4, 8's with the 6C centre channel. These are CDN made speakers. I was looking at the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, NAD C542, Arcam Diva CD73, and the Rega Apollo. I don't want to spend more than $850 US ($1000 CDN) including taxes so that will probably eliminate the Arcam and Rega. I don't know how much of a price diff there is from these 2 over the other 2? Any suggestions would be appreciated? Is there any ohter receiver I should possibly be looking at? Lemme know. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4262
I would say don't spend too much...perhaps an NAD C325BEE at most. You'll not fully benefit from more money spent.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1234
Darren:

I have to agree with Art here that you probably will not benefit from the extra money spent on an NAD 542 or Cambridge 640 over the NAD C525bee without changing your receiver (the 525 alone is a huge step above your current Denon). And when you do get the new CD player, I would use stereo interconnects (analog) and forego using a digital connection. You will get better sound.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6243
DM, make that 3 of us.

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated. Well I'm all for saving money but is my receiver really that weak? What would you suggest would be a logical step up from that reciever where i would benefit from one of those CD players? Maybe I should be looking at upgrading my receiver as well? Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 66
cambridge 540A v2 or 640A v2 w/cambridge 640C v2
would be well matched and the 640's would run you somewhere around $1200 or so the 540A with 640C somewhat less

Gold Member

Post Number: 6252
I think Art was looking at the little Nad 325 and 325BEE combo with Titan speakers for around that price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6253
Oops, Paradigm monitors.

Post Number: 9
I'm a little confused here. Is it the NAD C525bee or NAD C325bee that would be a good match for my receiver? Are there any other CD players that I should be looking at, i'm not particular to one brand at all. Also if my receiver would need to be upgraded are there any suggestions for that where I wouldn't have to spend a fortune or is it a big jump in price to get to a better level?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1601
Darren,

The 525BEE is a CD player. The 325BEE is an integrated amp.

Also, I agree with everyone else here who's said that you'd be wasting money spending more on a CD player if you're going to keep the current receiver. The 325BEE was mentioned as a low cost replacement for the Onkyo. However, its only a stereo amp (2 channels) rather than a surround sound receiver. If you're only interested in stereo sound, the 325BEE is a great jumping off point and would run circles around your current receiver.

Post Number: 10
Ahhh oaky gotcha! Just to add to my original post, I'm using the Onkyo SR701 receiver to power the subs, rears and centre channel only. I have an Acoustat Trans Twin Nova 200 power amplifier (it's old but works and the dealer I bought it from still insists it's a decent power amp) that is powering the 2 fronts. So in this case I would take it the NAD 325Bee would not be needed for my system?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4269
Correct Stu, sorry I used to own the C542 and know better....the good bourbon had me confused. I was actually talking about the 525BEE.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Anyone,
would it be necessary to add the NAD 325Bee Intergrated amp if I'm using my Acoustat Trans Twin Nova 200 power amp for the front speakers, would it be an upgrade over this amp??? To replace my Onkyo SR 701 it would probably cost quite a few$$$ if I wanted to stay with a more than 2 channel receiver? Thanks again for the replies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6271
Darren, a cdplayer like a Shanling 100 has a volume control and can be coupled directly to an amp, but input voltage and sensitivity must be correct.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Okay I had a chance to hear the NAD C525bee, NAD C542, Arcam CD73T, and the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C cd players today. They were tested through the NAD C732 integrated amp and Monitor Audio BR1 speakers with all the same cable and at the same volume. There was a notable difference between the NAD C525bee($450CDN) and the NAD C542($700CDN). I could not reallly notice a big difference between the NAD C542 and the Arcam CD73T ($960.00CDN) cd players though. Last was the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C which I really didn't care for at all, it sounded bland to me.
So with that said the dealer recommended me to go with the Arcam CD73T, obviously the most expensive one, even with using my current Onkyo SR701 a/v receiver which he said was comparable to the NAD C732 Integrated amp. He said it's the source going in (cd player)and not the receiver that would make a big difference, garbage in, garbage out. He recommended not to upgrade the receiver a little bit and go with a cheaper cd player but get a better cd player which would be fine with my receiver. i don't know if I can justify the extra $260 for the Arcam when the NADC542 sounded equal to me? I could use he extra $260 to spend on a better receiver. Any thoughts on this????

Bronze Member
Username: Nadz

California

Post Number: 39
If you could not hear a difference between the C542 and CD73T then go with the NAD. It's a damn fine player that easily competes with more expensive players. Some even believe it is superior to the Arcam. But this is subjective of course and everyone heres things in a different way.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1248
I dispute the Onkyo receiver being comapable to the NAD C372 integrated amp. And I agree with NADz - though I have just traded my C542 for a Rega Apollo - twice the price though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Does the Onkyo receiver matter that much if I'm using 2 channel stereo through my power amp which is the Acoustat Trans Twin Nova 200?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us