Optional built in phono stage for Cambridge Audio integrateds

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 20
Does anyone have anyone knowledge or experience with this? I'm looking at a second hand 640A that has the optional built-in MM phono stage, supposedly "professionally installed".

I see the option listed as a feature on the Cambridge site. What is the deal, does Cambridge do this, or do the retail shops?

And secondly, does this addition in any way compromise the integrity or performance of the amp? I think there must be a drawback, or else wouldn't they all just have this as a feature? I mean, why get a seperate phono stage (like the 540P) when you could just have it built in?

Where this is all leading is...if I'm looking at 2 second hand 640A's, one has this built in feature and is $50 more, which should I buy?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 64
i have the cambridge 540A v1 and the phono stage which looked like a card was placed into the amp after i bought it,it was placed by the dealer and didnot appear difficult to do but it took him a couple of tries.i have heard that this phono stage is not as good as some others.to my ears it sounds amazing,i play it through a pro-ject debut III TT.
and PSB image B25 speakers.for me it was well worth the $50 as it matched the amp perfectly.
can't give much technical know how but my ears and mind like it when i play vinyl.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us