~ $1,000 Speakers. B&W vs JMlab vs. MA

Username: Joe_mtl

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I am looking to build a new audio set-up (pure stereo) for the basement. I would like to start with the speakers. I am planning to get either NAD, ARCAM or Rotel. My favourite so far would be the 352. However, that will be another issue.

I have independently listen to several speakers and I have narrow down my search to the following:

- Monitor Audio RS6
- B&W 603 S3
- JMlab (Focal) Chorus 714V

The problem that I have is that I cannot find a dealer that caries all those in Montreal to compare side by side. It's hard to compare with different amps, players, rooms, etc...

I like all these speakers and those are my final choice.

Good side: RS6 were amazing, B&W were transparent and JMlab were very clear.
Downsides: I find the B&W to be a bit boring, the RS6 to be a bit unrealistic and JMlab is missing some bass.

I know that I can only decide, but I would like your opinion. How would you rate them.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 139
Joe, to start with, choosing components is always a compromise...and the associated equipment always plays a big role(synergy)...some folks here will recommend that you start with the source+amp then speakers but others might disagree... when you said you've heard the 3 speakers, did you note which equipments were used?

It's quite difficult to rate these speakers on the basis of it's individual merits alone but if that's what you're looking for, most of them are already reviewed in well known hi-fi mags with star ratings...BUT it does not guarantee anything...it's always a match-up thing....

Since you are leaning to NAD C352 as your int amp, you need to find out the characteristic of this amp and you can find lot's of discussions here in ecoustic about this...from there, you can better judge what speakers you need to satisfy your music requirements...

Just a thought!

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 142
It sounds like you are really down to the JMLabs & MA's.

Are you going to add a sub?

If you add the sub, then I think the JMLabs would be the way to go.

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply.
I have tested all speakers with the NAD and Rotel. I am not planning to add a sub. Only two towers... that's all.

/Joe

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 477
Try moving up to the B&W DM604s3...I think they are more dynamic and worth the added cost.

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 4
One more concerned that I had was that the MA'a are 6 ohms vs. 8 for the others. Is that an issue with the NAD? Would this be considered a negative side?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1237
No, the NAD can handle 6ohm speakers with ease.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6211
Rotel, too.
If you heard the Rotel/B&W combo and found it flat, I am a bit surprised. But just a bit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6212
Did you listen at The Audio Center, Joe?

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 5
Not The Audio Center. I went to Radio St-Hubert and Fillion Elec.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6214
Try the AC, you might get more of the combinations you mentioned there

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 6
Where is that store?

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 7
It was on Cavendish but it closed down... correct?

Silver Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 140
One more concerned that I had was that the MA'a are 6 ohms vs. 8 for the others. Is that an issue with the NAD? Would this be considered a negative side?

No, it's not an issue for NAD, Just found it out lately, even 4 ohms, NAD can still handle that with no problems...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6219
Yes Joe, they moved.
Check the local listings, I don't seem to find the info online at the moment.

Nad and Rotel, and a few others will handle low impedence speakers without issue.

Ask the dealer about the impedence range.
Many speakers can drop well below the stated impedence, which is a ballpark number at best.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1229
Joe:

In reading your posts, I am convinced that you have not yet found your speakers. Now, I am a big believer that each person hears things a bit differently, and you don't sound convinced that any of these speakers is what you want, so I would suggest you keep looking. If you aren't satisfied now, you surely won't be satisfied after a year or two of ownership.

In light of your preference for an NAD integrated amp (a very fine choice, btw), I would suggest you look into either a set of Paradigm or Magnepan speakers. Paradigm is a big Canadien company, so you should have no trouble locating a dealer (go to their website and use their delaer locator). Look at the new Monitor line of floorstanding speakers--it seems to be pretty good. I have not heard them yet, but I know the previous Monitor series, and it was very good. The new series reportedly sounds even better, so it should be a worthy candidate

Magnepan is a small maker of planar type speakers (often called electrostats). I know they have dealers in Montreal, so check the Magnepan website. You should be able to get the Mg12 model in your price range. I would also encourage you to consider the Magnepan MMG, a floorstanding model sold directly from Magnepan and it comes with a 120 in home trial, so if you don't like them, you can just sent them back. They cost only $550US delivered, but they are easily worth twice that price. Maggies are not for everyone, but after reading your assessment of the speakers you auditioned, I am thinking they just might be the right speaker for you. You can never say that a Maggie doesn't sound realistic, but until you hear them, you won't know what I mean.

Finally, with very good quality electronics such as NAD or Rotel, you do not need to worry about the speaker impedence. Impedence is not a constant but varies by frequency. It is not unusual for a speaker to vary in impedence from 4 ohms to as high as 22 ohms, depending upon what frequency is involved. An NAD or Rotel can handle this easily (however, the same cannot be said of the mass market electronics usually sold and you know who I mean). So once you have chosen a good amp, impedence is no longer an issue.

Good luck!

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the comments.

I listen to a the Monitors and I really do not like the sound. Even Monitor 9 cannot come close to the others. However, in the Studio or Reference series, the Paradigms are quite good.

Magnepans have 86dB, so I really did not consider them since I don't have the bucks for an over 150W amp. I saw the speakers in one of the stores downtown... I will give them a try.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1231
Joe:

The NAD 352 has enough power to do a good job of driving the smaller Maggies. That is one reason why I suggested the MMGs. Yes, I know about their low sensitivity, but I easily drove a pair of MMGs with a less powerful receiver for three months, so I know what they can do. My listening room is 20 x 14 x 18', not counting the open second floor and large kitchen to the right of my stereo, and the MMGs filled that room better than any other speaker I have used. I think it is largely because of the large radiating surface (both sides of the panel as the Maggie is a true bipole speaker) and the fact that although they only generate 86 db at 1 watt, they ramp up very quickly after that threshold. My local Maggie dealer has regularly shown the MG12 with an NAD integrated amp.

If you go for a listen, have the dealer show you the MG12s, which are almost the same size as the MMGs. I don't know how your dealer views the MMGs. I know some are glad to have the MMGs out there as they do get people to try them. But others I know of hate the fact that the factory is undercutting them with a product substantially similar to the MG12s. Nevertheless, the MG12s will give you a very good idea how the MMGs will sound--you just can't get the MMGs in any exotic finishes.

Username: Nbaudio

Post Number: 4
Hi,

I too was going to check the above speakers out. Can anyone from experience comment whether a naim nait 5i (50W) would drive these speakers at low to moderate levels in a medium sized concrete apartment?

- Monitor Audio RS6 or RS8
- B&W 603 S3 or 604 S3

Being more budget speakers I suppose they would be driven easier by the nait 5i than the next levels up such as B&W 704, MA GR20 or Totems such as the hawk.

Or am I presuming here? Thanks.

NB

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4268
Sorry Hawk but having owned both the MMG's and MG12's I can say that they aren't as similar as their size would make you believe. The MMG is a far less substantial speaker in every way. The MG12's are a whole bunch more speaker.

Username: Badassfajita

Post Number: 6
I had the RS6 and the 714V side by side in my house and preferred the bass of the RS6, but the vocals and clarity of the 714V. I too found the bass of the 714v lacking--I decided to cough up the extra pennies and get the 716v for the 6.5" woofers. Its a few hundred more, but worth it in the long run. What I hated about the RS6 was that although the midrange was forward sounding (i liked), the vocals seemed to be in the background, kind of hiding from the rest of the music.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 91
Bang for the buck...I don't think you can beat JM Lab. The same goes for Arcam gear which is a great match with these speakers. Over on the avsforum someone went to one the stereo shows and listened to every system there and kept coming back to the chorus 826v's and Arcam gear room. He said it was just as good as those very high price systems at the show.....the 836v's is said to be even better

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 157
Have you thought about a smaller monitor speaker and then adding sub woofer? I just got some Era Design 5's and paired them with a HSU Research sub - the speakers list for $900 and the sub was $400.00 Era speakers sound amazing for the money and I would put them up to any monitor under $2500 I've ever heard. Real wood veneers too.
Check 'em out. www.signalpathint.com

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 158
here's what John Atkinson from Stereophile magazine said about them:

"Their extraordinary stereo imaging, grain free treble, and clean, detailed midrange deserve to be heard by those wanting to spend more than this on a pair of floorstanders..."

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 175
In a recent audition, I found the $900 new Paradigm Monitor 9 to be a fine performer. I would easily score it above the Monitor Audio RS8, which I found to have "boomy" bass. The Paradigm also appeals for it's modern up to date driver materials and they are BRAND new models.

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 9
I went to listen to the 716v and I agree... Much better on the bass than the 714's. However, the price is higher and the negotiation margin seem to be much lower. I compare them side by side with the 603 S3 and you can see right away the higher sensibility makes a huge difference. However, on full volume the B&W are incredibly stable, while the JMlabs are not quite so...

So hard to decide. Still have to listen to the MMG's.... I guess it takes time...:-)

Montreal, QC CA

Post Number: 10
No other comments on the Paradigms, but to me they don't even come close... maybe it's my ears...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us