Arcam Alpha 5 amp, what cd player?

Username: Jsims281

Post Number: 1
Hey there, first post :-)

I've just got hold of a second hand Arcam Alpha 5 amp, which I'll be using to drive my Bose Acoustimass 3 speakers.

The amp hasn't arrived yet but: I was hoping someone would have some idea as to what CD player might sound decent in this system?

I own a NAD C520 from my previous hi-fi but it's breaking down over time. I have a feeling it would be holding back the rest of my current system anyway?

Any advice would be much appreciated,
James

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4245
You need new speakers long before you need a cd player. If you choose to keep those speakers you could literally just go and find $50 DVD player and use that...it won't matter.

Username: Stodz

Post Number: 2
i tend to agree.im not in the habit of nor do i reccomend that others put down equipment that someone might be proud of or enjoy the sound of .however a small bookshelf speaker of good quality would better the sound considerably for you .wharfedale diamonds .epos and the great lil usher s-520 come to mind ...regards

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4250
Even the Paradigm Atom Monitor would up the quality of sound by a good degree. And I refrained from putting down the Bose....however....

The Atom Monitors retail at 249.00 and can be had for less. The speakers that Dallas mentioned are also excellent. The Epos ELS3 can be had for around $300 and the Usher's for about $400, price increse coming very soon for that one.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice guys.

I do know what you mean re: the speakers, but I'm happy with how the AM3s sound to be honest, especially in my fairly small, odd-shaped listening room. No offense taken, but they'll do me well enough for now.

That said, my cd player is really, really dying (it skips, crackles, randomly ejects, makes nasty mechanical noises etc) and I do need something to play CDs on, so...from what you said it bascially doesnt matter at all what I use, because its always gonna be good enough to make the AM3's sound at their best? I didn't think they were that bad!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4251
Sorry, if you intend to upgrade in the future with regards to the speakers it might be worth your time to look at an NAD C525BEE cd player, it's the minimum that I recommend and it really is a good unit.

Username: Stodz

Post Number: 3
another good buy these days is an oppo player .i have a friend who bought one and to be honest for the price it sounds really good .i am presently looking at getting something also in a CD player .my front end sucks in the digital department .i listen mainly to vinyl.good luck in your search mate.....regards....Dallas

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4252
The Oppo players do have very good capabilities relative to video and may suffice for audio until some time later when you feel the need to upgrade.

Post Number: 3
Cheers, I'll have a look into the oppo stuff, what I've read online is fairly positive. I won't be upgrading anything for at least 12 months, so yeah, cheap and cheerful will be the best plan I think.

Nice one guys, keep it up!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us