Smoking Maggies

Username: Zgauthier

Post Number: 1
I know I'm not a regular here or anything, but I'm really not sure where else to ask... I own a pair of Magneplanar SMGa's. They're totally awesome. I live in a college dorm. I've had lots of fun scaring all the residents with loud, continuous 12,000hz tones. Today I did this again. But this time the speakers made little crackling noises and smoke came out of them.

Being a college student I can't really afford to replace these, they were a gift. They don't sound any different to me since the smoking but I'm concerned nonetheless.

Can anyone explain to me why they would have smoked like they did? Did I just ruin the nicest pair of speakers I've ever owned?}

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 374
go to the planar forum on this website and ask them...

www.audioasylum.com

you will more likely get a better response there. I am a maggie owner, but have never heard of this.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13269
What receiver were you using?

12,000 hz tones?

Why?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9934

Smoke came from a speaker made of Mylar and you want to know if something went wrong.

Post Number: 2
I'm using a Technics SA-DX750. The maggies are the only thing it's driving.

The tones were really just for fun, they carry really, really far. I just wasn't aware they could also cause fires. I think it's possible I melted some of the mylar, but I'm no expert as to how the maggies are set up inside.

Still I can't really tell any difference. I've tried piping identical frequencies of sound out both the left and right channels separately(smoke only came out of the right one as far as I know) and they both sound the same. Also tried it with white noise, music, whatever, all seems to sound the same. Maybe whatever caught on fire wasn't a critical part of the speaker.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13274
Smoke coming out of anything is not good. Unless it's a barbecue.

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 42
I'm no expert.

I wouldn't guess there's a lot of "extra" parts in your maggies that enjoy an occasional Marlboro.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
And Berny's question is still burning.

12,000 hz tones?

Why?

Post Number: 3
It was loud and piercing AND it carried so far the head resident called security. They never found out it was me.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6205
The dorm smoke detectors are disabled? Oh, yeah...the bong...

I wouldn't guess there's a lot of "extra" parts in your maggies that enjoy an occasional Marlboro

hehehe

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 378
odds are that if your maggies were smoking, you burnt and melted the mylar because you were:

a) driving them with a receiver incapable of handling a 4 ohm load at a loud volume

b) the receiver was really underpowered

c) the receiver was incapable of handling a 4 ohm load at all

I have heard of maggie owners melting the mylar, but am not sure it would smoke.

maggies should only be driven by amps, not receivers. If a receiver is to be used, it must be from the likes of krell, adcom, emotiva, outlaw, b&k, rotel, and the like.

if this is the case, you damaged your speakers.

Post Number: 4
You're probably right, Gavin. I picked that receiver up at REX a few years ago for about $150. I was surprised it got the maggies as loud as it did, that is until they caught on fire. Looking at a manual for my receiver... rated for 6-8 ohms. Nice job me.

However, I also agree about the smoking being a little weird. It was like when a capacitor blows, just a sudden popping and then I saw the smoke. The tone kept going as normal after the popping too. Again I'm no expert on mylar roasting, but I would have expected some kind of noticeable change.

I may at some point disassemble them and see what there is to see.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 382
that popping... what did it sound like? because I think it may have been the diaphragm hitting its limits.

Post Number: 5
Like, crack crack. It's hard to describe really, but it was definitely quick sounds, no hiss or fizz or anything. If I had to describe it as something I've heard, it'd be like when I plug the 3.5mm minijack into my soundcard while the receiver is turned up.

I think the popping came from both speakers, but I only saw smoke from the right one. It happened as I was turning the volume up near its limits. It's possible, but unlikely that the smoke came from the receiver, which the right maggie is sitting on.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 383
yes... the popping as you described it, if it sounded like a crack, was the drivers hitting their limits IMHO

Post Number: 6
So, do you think it was possible it was some random component in my receiver going, and not the speaker(please please please)? I really appreciate all your input, you guys have helped me a lot more than the real maggie board.

While we're at it, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced amplifier for me to use instead of Mr. Technics?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 385
no... it is my honest opinion that it was your speakers, and this is comming from a magnepan owner.

The only thing you can do is have someone examine the drivers and see what the damage is. The ironic thing is that magnepans are not that difficult to repair, and the SMG would be well worth sending in to be repaired. They are highly revered speakers.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 386
if the speaker was smoking, and the speaker was popping, odds are there was damage done, my guess is melted mylar.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3068
You had the volume up way too high this cursed the voice coils to burn out!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9938

"I've had lots of fun scaring all the residents with loud, continuous 12,000hz tones."

"The tones were really just for fun, they carry really, really far. I just wasn't aware they could also cause fires."

"It was loud and piercing AND it carried so far the head resident called security. They never found out it was me."

" I was surprised it got the maggies as loud as it did, that is until they caught on fire. Looking at a manual for my receiver... rated for 6-8 ohms."

" If I had to describe it as something I've heard, it'd be like when I plug the 3.5mm minijack into my soundcard while the receiver is turned up."

"It's possible, but unlikely that the smoke came from the receiver, which the right maggie is sitting on."

Post Number: 7
To quote the real maggie board "but seriously, you probably popped a capacitor in the crossover. if you look, it's the skinny burnt looking one. if you can still read the printing on it, go down to radio shack and get a new one of the same value."

I like the sound of that

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9939

"I've had lots of fun scaring all the residents with loud, continuous 12,000hz tones."

"The tones were really just for fun, they carry really, really far. I just wasn't aware they could also cause fires."

"It was loud and piercing AND it carried so far the head resident called security. They never found out it was me."

"I was surprised it got the maggies as loud as it did, that is until they caught on fire. Looking at a manual for my receiver... rated for 6-8 ohms."

"If I had to describe it as something I've heard, it'd be like when I plug the 3.5mm minijack into my soundcard while the receiver is turned up."

"It's possible, but unlikely that the smoke came from the receiver, which the right maggie is sitting on."

The speaker is sitting on the receiver?

And, as I read it, you are doing time at an institute for higher learning? No wonder the Chinese are going to overtake us at any time.

You don't really seem to have a clue where the smoke came from. You do say the speakers sound OK (?) but I'm wondering how you might be checking for proper operation. It's possible the smoke came from a blocking capacitor in the receiver's outputs.

Do not operate any receiver with the volume control advance past 1 O'Clock.

You are being extremely childish and dumb and pretty much deserve more than you got. Unplug the receiver and take the cover off to check for blown caps.

Do not stick your hands inside the receiver.

If you've blown a cap, it should be replaced or buy a new amplifier. And don't set your speakers on top of your receiver!

Post Number: 8
I admit I am nowhere near an audiophile. I wouldn't even be near the realm of these magneplanars if they hadn't been given to me. I don't like the idea of anything set on top of my amplifier, but can't do anything about the available space in this room. Trust me when I tell you there's no other place I could have put that speaker. I tried my best to make sure the vents on top of my receiver weren't covered by anything. You're probably right in calling me out about all this.

However, I do have a bit of background in electronics/soldering so I'm actually confident I can repair any minor damage I've done. I'll keep everyone updated. Sometime Tomorrow I'll start taking things apart. Thanks for everything so far.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Oh boy.

Again, I am no expert. Here's my advice:

1. If right handed, work screwdriver with left hand. Keep right hand free for fire extinguisher.

2. If left handed, reverse #1.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3078
Jan

You're a naughty little bugger! I've played 16KHz tones though a HF compression driver, stuck outside the window where anyone within a young age would perceive it and start mumbling to themselves where's that SOUND come from!!! hehehehe.

You see its not easy to localize if you turn you heard one way the tone might disappear step backwards the tone reappears! hehehehehehehe

Gold Member

Post Number: 6213
Those Maggies are too young to smoke.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13298
In speaker years...they're about 42. So they're legal :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6215
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em people!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9944

Cocoon - Do you kill ants with a magnifying glass? Pour gasoline on a cat's butt?

Post Number: 9
Anyway, I've disassembled the speaker I saw the smoke come out of. Mylar rips in the tweeter area.

Observe.
http://users.adelphia.net/~greenscreen/tears.jpg

So I've read minor tears can be fixed with some scotch tape and super 77 or woodweld glue. I'm not really sure if mine count as minor though...

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 389
I feel that those are good sized tears. IMHO, those speakers will outperform almost anything available today under $1500, some on the maggie forum will say $2000 and above.

It would be in the best interest of the speakers (as well as yours, should you screw the repair up) to call magnepan.

www.magnepan.com

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 390
...meant commercially available. I know you can get killer speakers factory direct and custom made for that price. I have yet to hear the Onix Strata Minis, but the pro and user reviews say they are the real deal, a planar that successfully mates with a woofer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Where's Andre?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6217
hehehe.
Hiding out with the other guys in striped shirts, destroying stuff.
Wait thats Waldo.

Ever wonder why we never see Andre and Waldo and Zach together?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9947

No.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
lolol...I was actually thinking the same thing, Nuck

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1827
??? Who's Waldo??? I see what you mean, destroying stuff.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 392
Who is Waldo???

wow...

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1179
zach, you will most likely have to send both speakers in for service. before i got my maggies the previous owner agreed to have the speakers serviced at the factory and i pay a smaller sum since there was damage to voice coils on both speakers, so i got brand new panels. the reason for both being sent in is to ensure that the panels are matching. it cost me $500 for the total repair. be prepared to dish out some money. next piece of advice would be to get a better amp atleast.
gavin, are you using a sub with your MMGs? i have noticed that rock doesnt sound that good on the claritys (how am i supposed to spell that?) or on my maggies. non synthesized music tends to sound much better IMHO. then again, i played some gwen stephani on them and i thought it sounded great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
How's the fix coming along, Zach?

Do the right thing.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 402
No, I run my maggies full range, and rarely use a subwoofer. I do have an inexpensive subwoofer that I use when necessary. But, I use it quite rarely. It is more or less there depending on my mood.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1527
And you would be right Gavin,the Mini Strata is the real deal and then some im enjoying them as we speak,well the conference tournements are back on now,so I'll njoy them more later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us