IHelp with choosing between these two players

Username: Interlude

NJ USA

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I've been thinking about purchasing a new CD player within the next few months. I've come down to two choices -- the Vincent Audio CD-S6 Hybrid and the Cambridge Audio 840C Upsampler -- and I need your help.

I currently own a Cambridge 640C and have had it for three good years, with no problems whatsoever. After hearing great stuff about the new 840C with it's 384KHz upsampling, I'm in the mood for an upgrade.

However, another machine caught my eye. I've heard nothing but great things about the Vincent CD-S6. The SoundStage! review cited it as 'truly musical' and 'the best player ever evaluated'. If I buy it, it will be my first ever piece of equipment that is a hybrid.

So, I need some advice from you as to which one you think will be the better fit. The new player will be beside my Denon AVR-3805 and Energy RC-70's.

Username: Javito

MadridSpain

Post Number: 4
Hi Matthew
I dont know the vincent player but I was reading about the cambridge audio azur 840c and I think that it is a high level cd player due to the 32 bits Analog Devices DSP and a 24 bits/384 kHz oversampling. I'll buy it as soon as I could.

NJ USA

Post Number: 2
Thank you, Javier.

I have a question though about the Vincent. If I use it in seven channel surround, will the "warmth" and "smoothness" still be maintained? The solid state receiver won't do anything to alter the sound coming from the player, right??

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6279
Matt, you seem like a very satisfied Cambridge Audio customer.
Why change? System synergy is a whole worth more than the sum of it's parts.
And it's good stuff, excelling where the engineers found strong points.
The Cambridge have a 'house' sound like any other. Nad has theirs, Rotel theirs and Cambridge the same.

Username: Javito

MadridSpain

Post Number: 6
I agree with Nuck. The question is what kind of sound do you like. I think Denon is a very good reciver that gives you a detailed sound and with Vincent the sound will be warmer that with Cambridge cd player but with a lower detail. I don't know Energy RC-70

Username: Aliceecoustics

Post Number: 1
Right now, I do not have a good answer for this question;
nontheless,this is more clear so that he knows what you want to know http://www.qweas.com/download/audio_mp3/audio_players/

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 92
Hi Matthew.

I own the Vincent CD6 CD player, as well as the Rega Apollo (and I no have the Rega Saturn on order).

I have multiple systems in my house, so multiple CD players are required. Not to mention I love having at least two standard (one of which does HDCD decoding) CD players in each of my systems.

For a long time I had the Rega Apollo and the Vincent CD6 in the same system.

I've never heard the Cambridge 840C, so Im can't help you there.

I can tell you that I found the review in SoundStage to be highly accurate, even though I felt the reviewer gushed a wee-bit overboard in some instances. But overall, I agreed with him.

The best I can tell you is if you can, do try to audition each player on your own and let your ears decide. Please remember and consider system synergy, because that plays a huge role in a system sounding good (or sounding the way you prefer).

It's late here, so I'm going to bed. I'll give you some impressions and experiences I've had with my CD S6 tomorrow, if you're interested in hearing/reading them.

NJ USA

Post Number: 4
Hi NMyTree,

I would be interested in hearing your impressions and experiences with the CD S6, if you don't mind sharing :-)

Thanks a lot!

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 99
Hi Interlude.

So sorry I didn't respond sooner. I completely forgot about this thread. I don't know if it's too late to respond, but I will. Just in case that it may still be of some help.

The Vincent CD S6:

First of all, I want to to tell you I really love this player!! It is a great CD Player!

Th S6 is very good with dynamics, has slight touch of warmth to it, but still delivers the details quite well.

The S6 has a bit of a different sound character than the Rega Apollo and Saturn. I honestly can't say it's sound character is better or worse than those two players; just different.

I have found that through time and playing my CDs in the Rega players and in the S6; I prefer certain CDs in the S6, and others in the Rega players. But sometimes I'm in the mood to hear all my CDs in the S6, other times in the Rega players. It's kind of nice to switch back and forth depending on my mood. In my opinion most of my HDCD discs sound much better in the S6 (it has HDCD decoding).

But my Peter White CDs sound amazing in the Rega players, too. Depends on what I'm in the mood for.

The differences, you may ask?

Well, the S6 has a certain different-organic accent to it, than the Rega players. The notes of guitar and other string instruments aren't quite as thick, as with the Rega players. It also lacks that subtle element of the Rega players that reminds me of the scent, feel and sound of snapping open a fresh head of lettuce.

I know, I know, you probably think I'm nuts using the snapping of a fresh head of lettuce as an anology for the Rega player's sound characteristic. But I honestly get that visual with my Rega players. That's what it reminds me of...lol. An organic, crispy, fresh feeling with a touch a nice warmth.

The S6 lacks that element. But the S6 is smooth and has way with dynamics and harmonically very nice.

The S6 sounds very nice with the stock tubes, but changing the tubes makes quite a difference.

But some tubes don't really match well in this player's circuits ( Ei 12AX7, Electro Harmonix 12AX7, Ei 6922, NP JJ/Tesla 12AX7. )

After trying several different tubes, I put in a new production Tung-Sol 12AX7 and an early 1970's NOS Tesla Saber (crossed swords) 6922. In the front panel I put in a new production JJ/Tesla Longplate 12AU7/Ecc802S (which only applies to the headphone circuits).

The improvement is amazing. The soundstage is fuller, more dynamic, even more musical than before, the bass is tigher and better pronounced; overall it is smooth and has a nice warmth.

I really like these new production Tung-Sol 12AX7 tubes. It's funny, I had read and heard some very good things about them, so I bought a few to try. I think they are great tubes.

I remember talking to a dealer of expensive NOS tubes and he was killing these tubes. He went on and on about how they are junk, garbage....blah blah blah. I have some nice NOS Mullards, Amperex, Tesla Sabers and many more.

And quite frankily, I think these NP Tung-Sol 12AX7 are just as good (if not better) than most of them. I really don't notice that the Mullards are better.

Personally, I find the NOS Tesla Saber 12AX7, 6922 and 12AU7 to sound much better than some of the classic favorites. Don't get me wrong, I like Mullards, but for the price they go for, for the hype that surrounds them; I really don't think they're worth the ridiculous prices these guys charge for them.

The NP Tung-Sol 12AX7, in my opinion, are extremely close that what most people love about the Mullards' mid-range and highs; and they are better in the bass. Just my opinion.

Or maybe I don't have the right equipment to make the best ofm the Mullards. Who knows, but somehow I doubt this is the case.

Okay, sorry for rambling on. The S6 is indeed a sweet, smooth and musical player. It's important to consider system synergy and room acoustics. too.

You can tailor the sound a bit by changing tubes.

I hope I didn't ramble off the path too much and render this unhelpful to you. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6910
I like the fresh produce analogy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us