Who's heard the Acoustic Research ARXP410PL ?

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 885
Anybody familiar with these speakers? http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4029536

I've read A very positive of their baby brother, the ARXP62, but I can't seem to find anything on the ARXP410PL.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6168
Nope.
But they list wall mounting hardware for the speaker.
Yes, speaker, it is listed as an option for 2 of them, in the text
Caveat emptour.
And don't trust Nuck's Latin, either.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 886
Glad to see you're still keeping the fires burning here at eCoustics.

I caught that wall mounting business too, but I think that's J&R error, not AR. http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001 &storeId=10001&productId=13756&langId=-1

It would seem that AR liquidated it's inventory of speakers (who knew they still built them?) to J&R.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6172
Looks that way, CM.
Also note that the picture shows only one speaker x2. IE, both right handed. The woofers will both be on the same side.
Rather symmetrical, but rather room difficult.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 887
Is the sub that position dependant?

I've divested myself of my beloved MA Radius 5.1 set-up, I've temporarily moved the Mission M32i up front while I wait (and wait) for the new offerings from AV123. I'm thinking, the X-Omni or X-Pro, maybe the X-LS Super Wave Guide (a fancy horn tweeter like HSU).

I was, and may still be, very close to purchasing a pair of Ohm Microwalsh Talls if things don't start to happen soon over at AV123.

The ARs are pretty mean looking speakers for $400/pair, dont'cha think?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 418
They definitely look mean. However, while I don't like to speculate on performance without listening, lets just say I wouldn't expect $1800 speaker performance out of them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6189
With a quoted response of 38Hz from an onboard amp, no I would not expect a lot either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6190
And at 38 Hz, I would not consider it a sub.
Just a woofer. And not a great response from an active woofer.
Keep shopping.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 419
Indeed. Emma does 38... I'd guess it bumps up the midbass a bit though. Most people find it favorable anyways.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 888
yeah, yeah...but they do look good.

Hey, they might be over-achievers? Have you read this review of the ARXP62? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773485

Anywho, it was just a thought.

Any impressions of what's going on with the new x-series speakers over at AV123.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6199
CM, don't you have like a dozen sets of speakers already?
I got quoted on a pair of xls w/stands for Canadian delivery.
Kinda sitting on the x-floorstanders.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 421
Overachievers they might be, but I doubt they'd outperform a good pair of standmounts in their price bracket.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 889
Nuck, I'm down to a large (M32i) & small (M70) pair of Missions at the moment. The M32i are rather large black box bookshelves, and while I am thoroughly content with their performance, they aren't the nicest looking speakers on the market, and my wife is giving me grief (This has been an ongoing theme with me for some time, performance vs. beauty vs. price). My criteria for my living room speakers are that they excel in 2Ch performance, go rather low (I'd rather not run a sub), have a large soundstage with pinpoint imaging, and will keep the wife quite about what they look like. Not too much to ask, is it?

Stephen, did you get a chance to read that user review of the ARXP62? I'm under the impression that this line of speakers from AR ain't that bad. I'll have a chance to listen to them myself soon, my brother-in-law just picked up a pair.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 423
Yeah I saw the review, and from what the pictures show, I can't say too much negative about the build quality. In regards to the tower, I'd like to see some real information on it though, as opposed to what appears to be blatant BS on the part of J&R (dimensions, extension (noted to be wrong in the review), etc).

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 890
Have either of you guys seen or heard any AV123 products?

I've read all the reviews, but haven't acually seen any myself.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 425
Can't say I have. Tawaun would be your man on that, as he has heard at least three or four. He seems to be in love with the Strata currently.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 892
Yeah, I've read his review.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 427
Well, I'm sure you know about their risk free promotion. That would of course be the sure way to find out if they are what you are looking for.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 894
True, but none of this will happen until the speakers are actually released.

The X-Omni Mini Tower is about $350
The X-LS SWG is about $400
The X-Pro is about $600

All use new drivers with the XBL2 motor (think Emma), so they should be something special.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 428
Have you listened to Emma by any chance Chris?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 895
Should I consider that an invitation Stephen?

No I haven't, though I had considered them for some time. I'm not sure I'm up to building a kit version (I don't have a workshop in my apartment), so I don't think it's in the cards.

I imagine AV123 will know what to do with those new drivers (they are also using some rather impressive tweeters at these price-points, not to mention those interesting Mirage Omni-like configurations), and am I right in thinking it were those XBL2 drivers that really made Tim's Emmas & Lings stand out?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 429
I'd be happy to give you an audition if you are interested.

As far as the XBL2, the Extremis driver used in Emma is very good. I think the implementation is a lot different in the Ling though (as the Lings 4.5" driver covered a wider range), and as a result they will probably sound a good bit different. In the Emma though, combined with the ribbon tweeter, it is very potent.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 896
I think the CSS FR125W & FR125S used in the Lings & Ling Singles benefited from the use of that motor design as well.

Nuck, you can chime in on the Ling Single at any time.

From Tim's site regarding the CSS FR125S:

"This single driver can deliver an amazing and accurate 60Hz to 20kHz frequency response. This has been accomplished by a specially modified voice coil and driver suspension along with the incredible XBL^2 motor design."

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 430
I just mean that the Ling's 4.5" driver covered 60Hz all the way up to 10000. Emma's 6 on the other hand was made to dig deep into the bass. As a result, different implementations, different sound.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 897
Have you ever heard the Adire Tumult subwoofer?

What did Tim use in his Tom before it was gone?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 898
Here's a line-up of the upcoming x-series speakers http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/X-Series+Speakers

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 431
Didn't hear the Adire subwoofer. Thats good info on the X-series lineup though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us