How much should I spend on a CD player

Bronze Member
Username: Mmeyers1984

Post Number: 11
I'm in the process of buying a new stereo consisting of Spendor 8e speakers ($3,200) and an NAD M3 integrated amp ($2,800). I've had the Rega Appollo CD recommended by an audio store at $1000. Do I really need to spend that much? or could I settle for a cheaper NAD version at around $300?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1228
Of course you could, but do you want to? The lower end NAD CDP's are quite good especially the C542 which is a little more but excellent value, however, you are spending good money on decent equipment so why would you make a comprise with the source. Improvements come in small increments when spending on hifi gear, but only your ears and your cash can determine the value of stepping up.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6139
Mike, your dealer should be able to provide you with options, each available to try at home.
Do not get stuck with a purchase/return without trying each option available from the dealer(within reason).
I would opt for the 542 meself, the synergy is simple and enyoyable.
Nice stereo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6140
Also visit the cable dep't.
This kit needs a same cable setup all the way through.
Again, see your dealer.
It don't gotta cost a bunch, but some. Cheapo cables will suck the life out of this Nad/splendor.

Love the speaks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks for the feedback. The NAD C542 looks like a decent option at $500. I got the dealer to include cabbling. I think I may save my money and stick with the NAD c542. I'm also trying to add a tuner and turntable. Should I opt for a Rega PL1 or PL2 with an NAD PP1 preamp? What do you think? Also any suggestions on a tuner? are there any with built in satelite radio?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1231
Yes, lovely speakers Mike, my brother has them and has a Arcam cdp (the 192) and an older Marantz amp. I can vouch for the C542 (love it in fact), but the Apollo is very nice also and maybe has a little less edge, but for me, at twice the price, the difference was not worth it with the state of my finances.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6146
Like MR, I agree on the cdp.
Synergy has a lot to do with the matter here.

The player may 'press' a bit to emphasize the RnR, like the Rotel does, but the Apollo may be a bit smooth for some(like me).
If you do mostly smooth jazz, the choice would be to go Apollo, however if Rock comes into play, the match with Nad is easy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks again. any input on the tuner or turntable?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1233
I can't help with turntable or tuner Mike except that with Rega more is always better. The M3 has no phono output?

Nuck, smooth jazz rocks on my C542 [grin].

Gold Member

Post Number: 6149
And I bet RnR does, too.
Maybe not so much t'other way round with the Apollo?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
No. Suprisingly the rep said I need a preamp for Phono. Maybe I better check myself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Boy this is tough. I spoke to the rep again and he said if I'm going to downgrade to the NAD 542 I might as well get the NAD 525. They don't bother with the 542 because they see little difference but he told me I'm really selling the system short if I don't go with the Apollo. Decissions decissions....

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4233
Yeah Mike, honestly I don't see any point having a great amp just to pair it with an inferior source. The C542 and 525 are fabulous bargains in their own right but you don't own budget gear (when and if you buy the Spendor's and NAD). Don't stop shy with the source.

Here's where the rubber meets the road Mike. With an amp and speakers like you are purchasing you should be looking at no less than an Apollo or Naim CD5i and for Turntables no less than a P3. The PP2 won't cut it you'll need at the least the Rega Fono or better. You're in the big leagues now. If you want the C525 you might as well get the 325 amp and a pair of inexpensive speakers and call it a day. Great budget gear that makes a heck of a lot of music but not in your current league.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 284
I have heard the NAD M3 and it matches up well with the Apollo. I felt the NAD was a little restrained for my tastes, but contrary to Nuck's input the Apollo "rocks" in my set-up. If you can swing it match up the Apollo with a P3 or P7 and you will find a more synergistic system.

But as you have already been told, LISTEN to it in the shop. If you think it sounds okay, arrange with the dealer for a demo in your home.

Lastly, what is it you are getting for "free" in terms of cabling?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Alright, the Appolo it is. I'll look at the P3 and the rega Fono. Do you know the price for these?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4234
P3 is $695 black and $745 in color. Rega Fono $395. The P3 goes well with either the Rega Elys 2 cartridge $245 or the Dynavector 10x5 at $375.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4236
I just noticed Jan and Mike Wodek's comments both on this thread and on the phono thread and have to agree. Remember I say the P3 at minimum...let me repeat at "minimum". I have aP3 and Elys 2 Cartridge with my $1100 Rega Mira amp and $1250 Rega R5 speakers. You could easily buy a P7 or a VPI rig and really reap the reward of your investment. These folks are right "source matters". Doesn't matter what speakers you have, they will only play the signal that they receive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6169
If y'all don't stop it, I might have to bring home an Apollo myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6170
And Mike, Michael asked about the 'free' cabling.
What is the breakdown on those?
The cables are going to run up the bill, or should, for that high quality setup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
what kind of cabling should I use free or not? I'm definitely going to go with the Appolo. Maybe I'll hold off on the turntable until I can swing a higher end turntable. I have an extensive album collection with many Master Recordings. Thanks for the advice. This is the system I've been waiting to buy my whole life. I just turned 50 and decided to buy myself a present but I don't know if I can swing the high end turntable now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6177
Happy Birthday, Mike!(whenever it was)
A truly fine gift!
I would hold off on the TT until the price is met. I would also scan the markets for pre-loved kit from a very reputable source. In that case, with a smart purchase, you can flip the TT and loose little, or find a winner and be satisfied.
If the Apollo had balanced outputs, it might well be perfect, as the M3 is a balanced unit.
That may be a consideration.
I have run my transDAC in balanced and unbalanced config, and the difference is palpable.
Cable dependant, of course.
I like the line from Goertz for the XLR's.

Looking forward to your opinions of the Rega/Nad using the DAC's from each.

Not in any negative way, it's looking like ear p@rn.

I am enjoying your trip.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4237
Van Den Hul Orchid with your setup for IC's and perhaps one of the HQ Van Den Hul speaker cables. Worth a listen if you can.

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1225
mike:

Do not sell the NAD 525bee player short. Not only is it not the older 521, a pretty good cd player, the 525 is actually identical to the 542, except that it does not have HDCD circuitry. HDCD has not caught on (I know, I have an HDCD capable Rotel player, and although I can hear an improvement, I cannot find HDCD encoded discs anymore). This may explain your dealer's opinion that you shouldn't spend the extra money on the 542. The 525 is a superb player in its own right and an incredible bargain--easily the best sub $500 cd player on the market (along with the 542). The February issue of The Absolute Sound gave the 525 a rave review and I think it was justified.

However, I also agree with others that you should try it at home. You are spending a good deal of money (wisely, as I really like your choices) and you should be satisfied with each part of your setup.

As for your turntable, Rega makes wonderful gear--you cannot go wrong, IMO. However, I am more concerned with your choice of a phono pre-amp. The NAD PP-1 (now replaced by the PP-2), is not worthy of your other gear. It is a very fine budget phono pre-amp, but that integrated amp and those speakers are capable of a whole lot more than that budget phono pre-amp is capable of producing. Now, you shouldn't have to spend mega bucks for a phono pre-amp and the good news is that you don't have to. Here are a couple of good alternatives which cost just a little bit more, but will be a tremendous improvement in the sound:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-MM-MC-Phono-Preamplifier?sc=2&cat egory=401

http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Hall-Phono-Pack?sc=2&category=401

and my personal favorite (for moving magnet cartridges only):

http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-VP129-Tube-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=401

Like you, I have been rediscovering all of my many Telarc Digital, MSF Original Master Recordings and Sheffield Labs Direct to Disc vinyl. My kids are now old enough that my turntable was no longer in danger (I lost two very nice cartridges to inquisitive hands, most notably my Grace F-9E, and replacement stylus are no longer available). There are some fabulous recordings on vinyl that I know will never make it to CD, so don't delay too long.

Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thanks for taking the time to provide the links. I'm going to check them out. I feel like I'm on quite a journey...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I feel like I'm in really good shape except for the turntable/preamp. I am going to use everything everyone has pointed out and do some more research. I may forego the turntable for now and get the rest of the gear.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4238
The 525 is a great budget cd player but still clearly not in the same league as your other gear.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1234
Apart from HDCD decoding, there certainly are differences between the C525 and the C542. The 542 has 24bit delta sigma B/B D/A converters, the 525 has 20 bit. The 542 has 150 ohm output impedence the 525 has 300 ohm output impedence. And I would hazard a guess there may be a couple of other small differences also. That's not to dispute that the 525 is a great buy. By all accounts it is. Don't forget that these components will take a little while to burn in - I care not what anti cable anti burn brigade say. The Arcams, and Regas are obviously better, there is no doubt and so they should be at their pricepoint, but along with the great S8 Spendors, it's still not the big league imho. One has to spend many, many, many, many thousands to get that badge. And to what end? Trust ears before bank balances.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6195
Mike, can you try a few players from the dealer?
Already seasoned, and a quick overnight session would be grand.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 60
here a quick question guys where would the music hall CD25.2 be in comparison to the nad c525 and the arcam???? just wondering I just ordered the nad myself(525) but I'm planning on getting the A25.2 or musichall mavern later on. Just wondering how their cd players compare to the bigger companies

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4254
I don't trust Music Hall gear because I don't trust the company. They don't care about the customer once you buy their product and I think that's a poor way to do business. There ain't nuthin' they make (or buy from another chinese manufacturer) that I'd own. Just my opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 61
really thats a strong viewpoint. Do you mind me asking what is it based on art. Your personal experience or that is the word on the market

Bronze Member
Username: Nadz

California

Post Number: 37
The C542 has better Burr Brown op-amps and a toroidal power supply along with upgraded capacitors and some other tweaks. In my opinion it is worth the stretch if the customer can afford it. Otherwise get the C525. Which is by no means a bad player.

To my ears the C542's bass is tighter and deeper with more detail retrieval in the mids and highs which helps open up the sound a good bit.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4258
Two Music Hall dealers who are very careful what they carry from Music Hall because they have heard directly from the horses mouth that their (Music Hall) primary concern is selling you the gear after that "you're on your own". One of the dealers had bought a product for his own personal system and it never worked and took him nearly a year to get it resolved (they never fixed it). The resolution was to give him a new one which he promptly put on Audiogon while swearing off MH products. I have to be careful what I say as I don't want to reveal the dealers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Well I finally ordered my equipment. I ended up with Spendor 8e speakers, an NAD M3 integrated amp, the Rega Appollo CD player and a Rega preamp phone soundstage. For now I'm going to stick with my very old Audio Techniques turntable. A turntable will be my next step. I'm just not ready to spend what I probably should for it. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let you know when I get it home!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4277
Congrats on your system purchase Mike.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us