Archive through February 13, 2007

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 243
OK guys, It was briefly mentioned that we should have our own thread going to list off our music. The music forum is really polluted with teens.

Right now I have Bjork playing, and that is quite out there for me. I am trying to get to like her. She has a really distinctive voice, one that is not heard everyday. But, she is an acquired taste.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3912
I am at work with the classic rock station going. Listening to some EC at this moment.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12758
I like older stuff. But recently I have been listening to:

Matchbox Twenty
Staind
Creed
Goo Goo Dolls
Snow Patrol

Then there's jazz. with some of my favorites being:

Earl Klugh
George Benson
Lee Ritenour
David Sanborn
Peter White
Acoustic Alchemy

...to name a few.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
I love Matchbox 20! Rob has an amazing voice.

Right now Im listening to Kenny G... (yeah, you read that right lol)

Berny, if you like Matchbox, have you ever listened to "The Fray"? They have a different sound, obviously. But, they still have that jangly, wholesome rock sound that is hard to find today.

The lead singer also has a great voice. Raw by today's pop standards, looking back to the days before pro-tools. You can hear the grit in his voice, and all the instruments are (I believe) real.

While I listen to just about anything (and I really mean that) The Fray have been in my playlist for a while, and I do not get sick of their sound.

It is about time my generation (early 20's) gets an ear for great music :-)

I have been listening to them quite frequently as of late. If you are listening to Creed, Staind, and MB20, I doubt that you won't like them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12788
The Fray...hmmm, I will check that out.

I like that un-enhanced natural voice, accompanied by guitars, keyboards and very few instruments for clutter.

I grew up listening to America, Chicago, The Eagles, James Taylor, Al Stewart, Kenny Rankin and such. Still have those on vinyl and CDs.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 369
brought out The Clash today. Been a while, but helped get taxes done!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12790
Nothing like combat rock ease paperwork woes :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5764
I spun some ELO on the tubes this morning before heading to the airport.

Kept a song in my head for the 4 hour delay.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3919
Just ordered...

Lizz Wright - Salt
John Legend - Once Again
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
The Brecker Bothers - Some Skunk Funk
Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around
Stanton Moore - III
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Don Byron - Do the Boomerang "The Music of Junior Walker"

Bronze Member
Username: Jingka99

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Post Number: 76
For me, I have 2 albums from Fourplay, Heartfelt & Between the Sheets...

I also bought some of the oldies such as Alan Parsons Project the definitive collection(remastered) cos I remember such songs as Time, Eye in the Sky, Old and Wise and Days are numbered..

Also decided to try some heavy oldies such as Pink Floyd, the Echoes...

Some other materials:

Roxette, Best 20 Singles
Jennifer Warnes, the Hunter
Mezzoforte, Forward Motion

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 355
Latest listening for me was the Stones last night. Fortunately for me, I can get some satisfaction.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3922
"Heartfelt & Between the Sheets..."

Sorry couldn't help it!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1910
First track on Heartfelt can really sort the men from the boys if played loud...

Played Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat on vinyl on Sunday - cracking!

Pink Floyd, The Wall on vinyl at heaps of volume on Saturday - wow! (Yes, the wife was out of the house at the time.)

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open. I think this is a fantastic album, apart from the first two tracks which I really don't like. Interestingly, the guys at the shop think this album is rubbish, claiming it's just 3 chords all the way through. I love it.

I thought we had had a favourite music thread somewhere on here some time ago. Am I wrong?

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1108
You're not wrong Frank.

I've been into the Chistoph Spendel Trio's Shanghai City Lights lately, and Jazzamour, Monte Alexander's Concrete Jungle gets a lot of air time with Supertramp, 10CC and Bob Marley, Stones now and then for some reminiscing. Ah there's really too many to mention.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12794
Snow Patrol-Eyes Open...yes, excellent album. There are still good music to be had:-)

I remember that music thread a while back, I believe it is in the SACD forum.

Bronze Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 49
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
And listening to her previous albums over again, I especially like "Furnace Room Lullaby"

Rachmaninov's Pianoconcerto no.3 by Byron Janis/Antal Dorati (Mercury) and the same concerto by Byron Janis/Fritz Reiner (RCA Living Stereo)
I can't decide which reading is better...
Reiner is a tad quicker and more lightfooted in his accompaniment, Dorati more manic at times, breathing in Janis' neck.
Janis playing is similar in both recordings, but I think more sparkly in Reiner's recording.

The sound of both recordings is fabulous, direct, but spacious.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Byron Janis/Fritz Reiner (RCA Living Stereo)

Oops...the 1st concerto on the disc is directed by Reiner, the 3rd by Charles Munch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
I have seen Lizz Wright live. She is as down to earth as she comes off on her discs. IMHO, Dreaming Wide Awake is better than Salt.

If you ever get a chance to see her, go for it. She sounds every bit as good live as on disc, and possibly a bit better :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3923
I ordered Salt from BMG with the others for 6.64 ea and will order Dreaming with some others from Your Music for 6.99 ea. Cheap music...ain't it great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
you bet. I had a nice ticket at her concert in Jamestown, NY for $24. I was down visiting my girlfriend, and we decided to go see her. I saw her open for Ray Charles, and remembered that she was a great performer.

Unfortunatly, there were many, many empty seats. I really felt bad for her. She deserves to be more known.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 467
Chris Daughtry CD playing right now...Man, what an incredible voice!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3967
Last night played Tomasz Stanko "Lontano", Dave Holland Quintet "Critical Mass", Greg Osby "Channel Three", and Branford Marsalis Quartet "Romare Bearden Revealed".

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12871
David Benoit "Stages"- a record I haven't heard in ages.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3968
Just put on Jeremy Pelt "Close to My Heart".

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1101
There's a lot of good stuff out there and it's just too much for me to be able to name anything.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3972
And I'm thankful!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5809
hehehe.
OK Andre, list some of your favorite recordings.
Not just for SQ(we all have a few), just for listening pleasure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
Oh?? Well I can at least say I don't like country, love songs, or screaming (like just screaming words and crap) rock music (currently listening to some John Mayer, the newest album). It all depends on what I'm doing and how I feel, but I'll listen to *just about* anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1104
Nuck..I'm going to have to think about favorites...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5811
Wewill be here.
Good call on the Mayer. I have heard some, but not at home. Lots of good reviews, a few lumps of coal.

I relistened to .. The Travelling Willbury's on the laptop here this am, and although the mighty speakers in it were trying very hard, ...it sucked.

However, I could imagine(in my Nuck head) how it sounds on my kit at home, and felt warm and fuzzy all over.
A very earthy, simple assemblage, Jeff Lynn and Roy(the big) O, handle with care.
A beautiful, American song, in the classic style.

It might sound even better on a British kit.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3976
Nuck this is for speaker guys not kids...read the first post.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1106
I will admit I'm a teenager..but what if I had never told you and had never acted like one??

Well anyway, I'll put in one of my fav songs just so you can get an idea of my musical preference. Rock On-David Essex

I think it was created for some movie, just can't remember the name. Something about it just gets me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5817
Sorry, Art, I will exit then.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3981
"I will admit I'm a teenager..but what if I had never told you and had never acted like one??"

Then we would never have known.

Andre, I hope you didn't take it personally. I think it's great that you are hangin' here and learning about audio. Most of us here started at about your age. The only reason I brought up the teen thing here is that this thread was started after discussion with Gavin and I about starting a thread away from the music forum shich has been so inundated with kids acting like....well kids (and there ain't nothin' wrong with kids acting like kids). We just wanted to talk about music as adults. Iain't tryin to be king of the forum and ofcourse you are welcome to saty and discuss music, I just ask that you respect the original intenet of this thread. Ok, I hope that explains it in a way that is less offensive than my other post.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3982
Oh how I miss the edit function!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3983
I will admit I'm a teenager..but what if I had never told you and had never acted like one??"

Then we would never have known.

Andre, I hope you didn't take it personally. I think it's great that you are hangin' here and learning about audio. Most of us here started at about your age. The only reason I brought up the teen thing is that this thread was started after a discussion with Gavin and I about starting a thread away from the music forum which has been so inundated with kids acting like....well kids (and there ain't nothin' wrong with kids acting like kids). We just wanted to talk about music as adults. I ain't tryin to be king of the forum and ofcourse you are welcome to stay and discuss music, I just ask that you respect the original intent of this thread. Ok, I hope that explains it in a way that is less offensive than my other post.

There that is better!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1111
I try not to be how I can be (I think you've seen it), so all is well. I will *try* to keep myself under control. Most people at my school...you might be amazed at how rude they are and can be.
I'll try and respect you guys and not pollute the thread.

I like classic rock (most rock for that matter) like "Rock On" by David Essex, but I'm going to need to get a subwoofer to enjoy the weight of the song like I really want to.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3985
I use to have that album (yes vinyl) when I was about your age. Loved the song "Rock On" but didn't like the rest of the record.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1112
Hey you know Dark Side of The Moon is out on SACD now? I wonder how it sounds on the right setup.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3987
I'd like to hear it. I've been told that surround mix is not good and I would guess that's true. But I would be interested in the 2 channel mix. Actually I'd rather get a newly mastered copy on vinyl.

Silver Member
Username: Uback007

Post Number: 139
anything by Patricia Barber- mellow and nightclub jazzy, but my lord, are the recordings amazing. Go get her "Nighclub" cd and tell me what you think...very high quality recording..probably the best I have ever heard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5824
wow, uback, that is saying alot!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3988
Her recordings are indeed amazing. I often take "Modern Cool" with me to demo speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5826
Can you describe the recordings guys?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1116
About vinyl...I once heard a recording on my music teacher's record player in 4th grade and it sounded like CRAP so can you help me figure out why it did? Maybe this is why I haven't been too fond of vinyl. If I hear vinyl that is well recorded and played will it sound like it's supposed to?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 108
1. Liz Wright- Salt is one of my favs too.
2. Having seen her at NAMM in January- Nina Storey- Shades CD from 1997 is fantastic.
3. On the modern rock you need to hear but havent list- go with Porcupine Tree. Lazarus, Blackest Eyes, and Trains are a few of my favorite songs from them
4. Lucinda Williams live at the Fillmore is an excellent crossover artist CD.
5. Eileen Ivers Crossing the Bridge is an eclectic mix of Irish and African music together, the only type of its kind that runs the range too.
6. The Flora Purim CD SPeak No Evil is a nicely produced work as well.
7. On the YG Acoustics test disk- track 5 on the Waterfront is one of my favs for testing out speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3992
Thanks for sharing Marc. Minus the "modern rock" selection I'll give the others that I don't already have a listen. Nice to hear what other folks are listening to.

Andre, there are so many reasons that it could have sounded like crap. Vinyl is one of those things where everything has to be right for it to sound good...but when it's right nothing compares.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 109
"... but when its right nothing compares"

Except reel to reel masters! ( Yes --recording tape)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3995
And we all have a few those lying around...lol! I guess it's all relative. I hear people all of the time talking as though records are no longer a viable medium and that turntables aren't even available anymore. I quickly correct them and point them to the local stores where turntables and vinyl are still staples.

Bronze Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 51
for production values hard to be
"another day on earth" brian eno
hobosapiens" john cale
and
"passing ships" andrew hill

now they GOTTA remaster those little feat cd's

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1373
Type-o-negative at deafening volume this morning (wife out of town with baby!!!)

Last night it was Floyd wish you were here (at normal levels)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3997
Dave Douglas "A Thousand Evenings". Next up Russell Gunn "Blue on the DL".

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4000
Andrew Hill "Time Lines". Speaking of which this week makes 2 yrs as an ecoustics member. My how time flies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5833
A nice even 2000 posts per annum, Art, you rolled over 4k.
Rotate your tires, fella!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4001
Herbie Mann and Phil Woods "Beyond Brooklyn".

Actually Nuck probably more like 3000 posts the first year and 1000 this year...but hey it's a nice average.

Bronze Member
Username: Db77

Salem, NH

Post Number: 16
A few thoughts..........

Nickleback sucks!

A lot of today's cookie rock bands suck but Nickleback stands head and shoulders above the rest in their sheer suckitude!

I like country music but most of today's Country music sucks as it is more pop than country. I like the older stuff Johnny Cash, George Jones, Buck Owens, George Strait, Randy Travis, I could go on and on.

I have an ecclectic music collection. I can listen to certain music from just about any genre except new age jazz and death metal. Sorry but those two genres suck.

Allison Krauss is one of my all time favorites. How anyone cannot appreciate her talent and music is beyond me.

The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd are played entirely too much on FM radio. I like both bands but the DJ's need to give it a rest.

I also love Bruce Springsteen even though he's a raging liberal who can't keep his fat piehole shut when his fans pay big bucks to see him in concert. I wanna hear him sing not hear what he thinks about politics.

Oh.....Neil Diamond and Lionel Richie are two of the coolest mofo's on the plant.

And I'd be willing to fight any man who says their not!

Bronze Member
Username: Db77

Salem, NH

Post Number: 17
A few thoughts..........

Nickleback sucks!

A lot of today's cookie rock bands suck but Nickleback stands head and shoulders above the rest in their sheer suckitude!

I like country music but most of today's Country music sucks as it is more pop than country. I like the older stuff Johnny Cash, George Jones, Buck Owens, George Strait, Randy Travis, I could go on and on.

I have an eclectic music collection. I can listen to certain music from just about any genre except new age jazz and death metal. Sorry but those two genres suck.

Allison Krauss is one of my all time favorites. How anyone cannot appreciate her talent and music is beyond me.

Freddie King is another favorite here.

The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd are played entirely too much on FM radio. I like both bands but the DJs need to give it a rest.

I also love Bruce Springsteen even though he's a raging liberal who can't keep his fat piehole shut when his fans pay big bucks to see him in concert. I wanna hear him sing not hear what he thinks about politics.

Oh.....Neil Diamond and Lionel Richie are two of the coolest mofos on the planet.

And I'd be willing to fight any man who says they're not!

Please excuse the typos in my previous post I have corrected them.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1503
Nora Jones,new cd it took me a little time to warm to it but i'm really starting to like it i dont think she can ever make a CD I wont like,but that song "Rosie's Lullably" is hot,I've hit repeat on a few occations.Corinne Bailey's debut Cd has been spinning a lot to,and everyone thats been on this forum knows how i love Fourplay with the man Bob James behind them,incase Fourplay and Bob James fans didnt know they have new recordings out,they've been out for about 2 or 3 months.The new Boney James "Shine" is great from top to bottom,Boney's best effort yet,and Eric Darius a brand new saxiapnonist "Just Getting Started" "Back at Cha" is my song of the year so far,this cut has some bounce.And then my usual favorites always get spinned Jennifer Warnes, Stevie Ray Vaughn,Aleshia Keys,Brian Culbertson,Steve Cole,David Benoit,Rick Braun,Larry Carlton,Herbie Hancock,Joss Stone,Vivian Green,Heather Headley,Carol Duboc,Tamia,Celine Dion,Creed,Que& Maleeka,Chuck Loeb,Jeff Golub,Norman Brown,Ramsey Lewis,Goapele,Jeff Lorber,Faith Hill,Leanne Rimes,Ruben Studard,Shanice,Ciara,Keico Matsui,Leela James,Avant,KeKe Whyatt,Trinity,Tarel Hicks,Luther,KC& JOJo,Oleta Adams,Joy Enriquez,Joanne Rosario,Pamela Williams,Mindi Abair,Euge Groove,Chris Botti,Dave Koz,Richard Elliot,Patrice Rushen,Mike Phillips,Jeff Bradshaw,Soulive,Marcus Johnson,Rippingtons,Andre Ward,and a lot more these are just off the top of my head,I've been doing a lot reviewing lately so I've been spinning everything.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1130
Oh.....Neil Diamond and Lionel Richie are two of the coolest mofos on the planet.

And I'd be willing to fight any man who says they're not!

I say they're not!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12898
Art and Nuck...weren't you worried that a 14 year old may turn this thread into a "suck-fest". How ironic that the behavior came out of someone much older...or so it seems. :-)

If it is not within the person's preference, it sucks...LOL!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4004
Just ignore 'em Bernie!

Ozark Mountain Daredevils "It'll Shine When it Shines" on vinyl.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58

What about Gilian Welch, Patty Griffin, alt-country like Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams?

I definitely dislike mainstream country artists like Garth Brooks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5836
Art, crank up the Daredevils for me! The speakers on my lapyop in a Hotel room in Indiana(AGAIN) are killing me!

Lionel Ritchie?
LIONEL RITCHIE!?!?

Isn't he the dad of the skinny chick on tv?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4005
Oops I mean Berny...darn I miss that edit function.

Hopefully this will be a place for folks to share what's on the platter or in the machine without others judging...like I said hopefully.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4006
Love Gillian Welch and Lucinda Williams. I bought the first Patty Griffin cd (liked it) and haven't heard her since. Apparently I should!

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 3524
Gotta admit, I like Michael Buble. Love the classics like Nat king cole AND his daughter. Unforgettable is one of my fav albums. I even have some Sammy Davis jr. "Candyman" and "Bojangles" stick in my head alot. Dave Matthews is pretty original.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4007
Sammy's the man. Some of his 60's recordings are fantastic.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1131
Who was judging? I was having a go at this: "And I'd be willing to fight any man who says they're not!"

I mean, what is this guy?

Man, can't anyone read between the lines anymore?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 3525
It took watching the movie for me to appreciate Ray Charles. After I did I loved just about everything he performed. Alot of style.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5837
The Tragically Hip on my pathetic little laptop.
'Yer Favorites'.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4008
Marshall Tucker Band "Carolina Dreams" on Vinyl.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5838
I like most of he Barenaked Ladies, as well, mostly for the terrifically creative writing.
I like creative writing.

I saw Lyle Lovvett on pbs last night, a lot of repetition in that set.
Where is his Large Band?

He looks like Dustin Hoffman in a funhouse mirror, BTW.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4009
Ray is fundamental listening on so many levels...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4010
"He looks like Dustin Hoffman in a funhouse mirror, BTW"

And he ever looked better? I'll be picking up his "Joshua Judges Ruth" cd pretty soon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Art wrote:
Love Gillian Welch and Lucinda Williams. I bought the first Patty Griffin cd (liked it) and haven't heard her since. Apparently I should!

I like Lucinda Wiliams a lot.
"Mad mission" from Patty Griffins 1st album is really great, I just can't get enough of that song.
The albums "1000 kisses" and "impossible Dream" are more consistent in my opinion.

Nuck wrote:
The Tragically Hip on my pathetic little laptop.
'Yer Favorites'.

I haven't heard them since their album "Fully Completely" which I liked, but not as much as (one of my all time favorites) "Road Apples".
Did I miss much?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5840
A bit, nothing compares to 'Up To Here'. IMHO, one of my top 5 albums of all time.

'Poets' was a song from an album a few years back.

More like 3 songs on each release.

Absolutly a band to see live. In Canada if possible. A lotta rope gets burned, good crowds, and the show is outstanding.

Note: if you see Gord Downie's 'Coke Machine Glow', run away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5841
Little Bones

Gold Member

Post Number: 5842
Nout, I am gonna cut a disc of my favorite Hip cuts (all paid for, no mp3), if you want a copy PM me.
Anybody else, too!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
I have been to their concert in Tilburg, when Road Apples was released, it was great, very tight playing.
Especially when they played "New Orleans is sinking" the crowd got excited.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12901
Right now I am listening to the "O Brother Where Art Thou" Soundtrack.

I didn't think it would be my cup of tea, but it is bizarre how some music just strikes at ya.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4011
Some good Bluegrass...

Dinner time, had to put way the vinyl and put on the XM radio channel 70 "Real Jazz". Listen to lot of channel 72 "Beyond Jazz" for some funk infused jazz...Scofield "A Go Go" etc. Don't do channel 71 "Watercolors" (Smooth Jazz) just not for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Nuck,

I have sent you a PM, I'm looking forwards to your selection of tracks.

Berny,
If you like the "O Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack, you will like the live concert, related to the movie - same artists, "Down From The Mountain", both on CD and DVD.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4012
Dinner out of the way listening commences again.

Ya'll got me in the mood for somethin' rootsy.

Gillian Welch "Soul Journey" in the Apollo for a spin.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4013
Cowboy Junkies "Black Eyed Man"

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
Hey Art, guess what. My dad knew the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, at least a few of them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4014
I love that record of theirs that I play...my wife and I usually start singing and all that ugly stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1135
What's weird is I don't remember any of their songs.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4015
They only had one hit to my knowledge and that was "Jackie Blue" from the aforementioned album. That album has charm for many other reasons. The title cut not the least of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Shine-Shines-Ozark-Mountain-Daredevils/dp/B0000VJFRS

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4016
Read the review with the link Andre.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12913
Just put on Counting Crows - Across a Wire: Live in New York

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4017
Well it's another manic Monday, the system is off until Thursday (unless I can a steal a moment with it). At least I have the radio at work.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12922
Anybody listen to Michael Franks? This is one I have not listened to in a while. Great vocal work on "Sleeping Gypsy" album.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 247
Yesterday,

Outlaws - only one cut, Green Grass and High Tides - Vinyl - very very loud to where you can feel the joy of the band's perfomrmance
Jennifer Warner - The Hunter - CD - loud
Pink Floyd - Animals - vinyl Japanese import - very loud
Pink Floyd - Final Cut - vinyl - very very loud
The Who - Who's Next - Vinyl - Very loud, so cool, better than I ever remember hearing it!!!
1812 Overture - version with cannons (it's upstairs and I am not up to posting exact info on it) - vinyl - loud

Just washed and soon to be queued up on vinyl,

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Billy Squire - Don't Say No
Pink Floyd - Double album Ummagumma and Studio Album
Pink Floyd - Meddle
George Thorogood and the Destoyers - Bad to the Bone
Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (White Vinyl)

Oh yeah, "Thriller", that was Nuck's influence.

Otherwise everything else is indicative of my mood.

Bronze Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 22
That's a fine set, Mike! I think the Final Cut album is perhaps the most under-rated Floyd album. It gets a LOT of playing time for me these days.

And JJ Cale.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5850
That Billy Squire I remember as being a rather 'brash' recording of good songs.

Do tell how you find it, Mike?

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
I know I may get harassed for this one, but have any of you heard of Darren Hayes?

He is associated most commonly with the "boyband" pop music scene, but DAMN what a voice. He is one of my perennial favorites. He came out of the Savage Garden music machine to launch a solo career.

I usually despise glossy pop music, but when someone has a great voice, I really have to hand it to them.

I also can't get Sade's voice out of my head, along with Eliane Elias (Brazilian jazz pianist-singer). They are next on my playlist.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
and the so called "new age jazz" AKA smooth jazz is all good by me

I think it is safe to say that a good third of my music collection is smooth jazz.

yeah it might be stale, but I love a relaxing, $ensual melody.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
For something completely different.
The 'smooth' and 'seductive' voice of Black Francis...listened to the Pixies albums "Surfer Rosa" and "Come on Pilgrim" again. Haven't heard these cd's in years.
Noisy, but briljant.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1146
Gavin, I agree about Sade and Elaine Elias - smooth and sensational.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
Rantz, have you heard Eliane's latest album? It sounds like Sade meets Astrud and Diana Krall.

It is called "Around the City", and has a few funked up bossa novas in it, as well as a cover of Marley's "jammin'"

It is always (for the most part) in my playlist.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us