A question of wattage and matching speakers to amp...

Bronze Member
Username: Anubis

Birmingham, West Midlands England

Post Number: 72
Hi. Wonder if anyone could put my mind at rest. I'm no number cruncher at the best of times, and know only this:

That it is better to have a larger amp and smaller speakers when it comes to wattage. (Oh, I do hope that's right!).

If an amp says this:
60W x2 continuous power into 8 ohms / 135W, 190W, 240W IHF dynamic power into 8, 4 & 2 ohms, respectively...

And my speakers say on them:
Power handing: 15-100W / Impedance: 4-8

Then is this a compatible match?

I know about amplifiers and speakers varying in actual impedance during operation, but still, just a basic answer is what I'm after here, for peace of mind.

Bearing in mind, the last amp to be driving these speakers simply says 150W on the back. It was a NAD 3225PE and I also have run an old 3020i on them as well.

I'm afraid if I get technical answers here, I won't be able to understand them, so simplest possible terms, please! :-)

So do I need to heed the lower number (15W) on the speaker's wattage, or the higher one (100W)?

Thanks,

V

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Also - I thought the NAD 3225PE was something like 30Watts, so how come it says 150W on the back?

V

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9888

"That it is better to have a larger amp and smaller speakers when it comes to wattage. (Oh, I do hope that's right!)."

Most tweeters are destroyed because the amplifier did not have enough clean power to play as loudly, with the speakers' efficiency set, as the owner wanted. That does not mean you require large amounts of power to get loud. It certainly does not imply that large amounts of power will play cleanly at any volume.

"If an amp says this:
60W x2 continuous power into 8 ohms / 135W, 190W, 240W IHF dynamic power into 8, 4 & 2 ohms, respectively...

And my speakers say on them:
Power handing: 15-100W / Impedance: 4-8

Then is this a compatible match?"

The most basic answer is, probably.

"So do I need to heed the lower number (15W) on the speaker's wattage, or the higher one (100W)?"

Neither. But more to the lower than the higher.

"I thought the NAD 3225PE was something like 30Watts, so how come it says 150W on the back?"

That's the amount of volts/amps the power supply draws from the AC outlet.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2012
Then is this a compatible match?

Yes.

So do I need to heed the lower number (15W) on the speaker's wattage, or the higher one (100W)?

I don't really know what the lower one means. You shouldn't turn up the volume dial past the larger number for very long.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Thankyou very much, Jan / Peter. That more than adequately answers my question.

So, Jan, I guess the 150W stated on the back, is there more for a tech to know the rating of the transformer, than for me to worry about at all.

V

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9895

The voltage and amperage are what are important when choosing a power transformer. Those along with the input resistance of the line makes "watts".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us